Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suetran1

Hoya wayetti seeds ...gone with the wind

suetran1
12 years ago

These pictures was taken in July, I did not keep any seed.

A few other plants like Cumingiana, Fungii that have seed pod and babies now.

Thanks for looking.

sue

Babies Cumingii 2 weeks old

Hoya Fungii seed pod

Comments (32)

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Sue,

How does your hoyas give the seed pot??? Are those hoyas outside or inside? It is very interesting!

Congrats to your new babies and good luck with them

Mitzi

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Sue... beautiful pictures.. they look almost ethereal! Eileen

• suetran1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Eileen, Mitzi,
    All my tropical plants are outside in Summer. I have seeds very often, usually I take it off before it getting bigger pod.

• stevenwayne
    12 years ago

If your going to share I would love a few fungii seeds I had a few of your pachyclada seeds but they where all crushed

• suetran1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Steve, I sent you an email.

• stevenwayne
    12 years ago

Srry I tried to change my small it wont let me if you could drawbridge it to hiloplumeria@gmail.com that would be awesome thank you

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Someone didn't wrap a vegetable twist tie around the seed pod as suggested in another thread.

• suetran1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Steve,
    I still have your address.
    RFG
    I'd read your thread with the twist, but this one I did not want to keep it.
    It was so nice to see them fly.

• ruffi72
    12 years ago

amazing wonderful bellissimi.... chiss� se li vedr� anche io un giorno....

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi Sue,

How I wish to be the wind in your garden..........LOL!!!!!

I'd love to know how your hoyas produce so many seeds, while other never produce it! Misteries...........

Mitzi from Brazil

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Still it would have been interesting to see if it would produce true as a true species oe could this be just another hybrid we've known all along and a hybrid not a species. The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind, the answer my friend is blowin' in the wind.....

• suetran1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ruffi
    Grazie voi, spero anch'io.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh Sue! More beautiful babies! You take the most exquisite and interesting photos and I feel so blessed that you take the time to share them with us.

Your glowing success with pod production gives me hope that I might someday have a more smooth seed sprouting adventure ahead of me.

Next time I'm just going to take my little flat of seedlings with me, because when you leave your house there is sometimes no telling when you'll be back. Although, I do have to say that when we were at the hospital, there was a KQ sitting in the window and it was such a huge dose of moral support to see a friend sitting nearby. ^_^

• ruffi72
    12 years ago

Sue
    I hope that, but it's too difficult, never in italy hoya has a
    seeds, in my opinion there isen't insect,bug, or animal right...

• suetran1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks you GG.
    Ruffi:
    where I live, North Carolina, there are a lot of trees, a lot of birds and insects, even deer walking in town middle of the night.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Suetran,

The chance to have hoya seeds, inside my apartment is zero.... so I'll never have seed pod!!!!!!

Mitzi

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Maybe when your Hoyas get too big to live in your apartment and and move out to the farm you will get some seed pods. If monkeys can get in, so can pollinators :P

• ruffi72
    12 years ago

Sue,
    deer walking in my town of the night here too..... but a can't believe that a deer pollinate hoya hahahahahahahah :)))))))
    And monkeys too hihihiihh
    :)))))))
    muoio dal ridere :))))

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL Most mammals would probably require access to a microscope and some watchmaker tools...

"muoio dal ridere"... I must remember this phrase!

• ruffi72
    12 years ago

fantasmino
    mammals like you and me :)))

• kathybennie
    12 years ago

Sue, I would love to grow some Hoya Fungii, if it is not too much trouble to mail some seeds, no rush. I would gladly return postage, etc. My Hoya Pachyclada little guys are growing towards the light and are so pretty; many survived and getting their second leaves.
    thank you, Kathy E.

• suetran1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy E.
    Could you email me your address?
    suetran1@hotmail.com

• kathybennie
    12 years ago

Do you say, "fung-eye" or "funghie"? I am a beginner and need a course in nomenclature and pronunciation of these names. My husband laughs at me...when he hears me read the names. Maybe it doesn't matter, when you live in Colorado??

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

GG,

Only monkeys pollinate hoyas???

Mitzi

• suetran1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mitzi, I think GG meant something with 2 legs...hihi

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi Sue,

At the farm we have monkeys, birds, butterfly, bees but not deers LOL........., here in Brazil no one has ever seen a seed pod in their hoyas.

Mitzi

• ruffi72
    12 years ago

hihihihhi ragazzi stiamo degenerando .... hahahahah

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Kathybennie getting the pronunciations right can be a bit difficult at first but soon you will learn the tricks. It's best to break the words down into their parts. Often times a plant will be named after a person so you pronounce the name accordingly and then the ending. Often times letters are silent as in Hoya diptera which is pronounced die-terra and not dip-terra.
    When you see a name like Hoya fungii with the double ii at the end the pronunciation is fung-ee-eye. The ii always sounds like ee-eye.
    It takes a bit of practice but it's easiest if you try saying them out loud. And remember to break them into their syllables.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Pronunciation of Botanical latin names

• kathybennie
    12 years ago

Thanks, Mike. I'll practice some names on my husband and
    impress him...he wouldn't know...is it a po-tay-toe or is it a po-tah-toe?? Either way, I love my hoyas!!!
    Kathy (Colorado Springs - today's low temp is 14 degrees)

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Hi Sue:

I do not speack English very well.

Beautiful pictures and beautiful babies, good luck. Congratulations.

I have several wax plants (hoya carnosa) and other between 23 and 7 years but I have never seen this.

I have seen for three years a "hummingbird sphinx moth" but have not had the good fortune to see any flowers pollinate.

You can see some photos here "visitante polinizador"

Another one:

You can appreciate the great espiritrompa.

Best Regards.

Here is a link that might be useful: visiitante polinizador

• suetran1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks you pepeuve.
    Your plant is so big, it should be outdoor all the time, right? I saw the moth too!, with that much flowers, how come you did not have any seed pod? I think maybe the moth and flower are the same s...? lol.
    I had a carnosa like that for more than 10 years, but I was so tired to bring in and out, so I divided and gave to friends.
    sue

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

Hi Sue:

The plant is outdoors. She receives direct sunlight for two or three hours, in Spring or Summer day. She has over 50 flowers on each flowering. I prune it very often. And I gave cuttings over a meter long. Also, I have many others in the same balcony.

Can you see this video?: It is about my last pruning.
    In my blog there are some more examples.

Kind regards.

Here is a link that might be useful: poda hoya carnosa

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz