Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
banannas

When to fertilize rooted cuttings

banannas
12 years ago

Hopefully the subject says it all but I am here for some advice about when it is okay to start fertilizing rooted cuttings and with what?

Thanks,

Anne

Comments (19)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

You can fertilize right away and in fact there are fertilizers designed to help get cuttings and transplants off to a good start. Not that Hoyas need help rooting but there are also products like Dyna-gro's KLN that are great for difficult to root plants.

Mike

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great Mike, thanks for the helpful advice as always!

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I would like to recommend seaweed extract,fish fert and a bit of molasses.Your new hoyas will grow like crazy.
    I would put the toe of the nylon sock on your seed pod to catch the seeds when it pops open.They need to be sown quickly after the seed ripens.I like to use damp moss in some sort of plastic shell container to grow the seeds.Good luck.

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy,

Thanks for the advice. I have already put a nylon on it. When you say damp moss are you referring to sphagnum moss or another kind? Also, I am unclear about what you mean by a plastic shell container. Do you happen to have a picture or brand name as a reference?

Thanks,

Anne

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Hi Anne Sorry I should of said calm shell but you can use anything with a clear lid or just use plastic warp.And yes I mean sphagnum moss,sorry about not being very clear.

Cindy

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy,

Thanks for clarifying. Also, would you use the seaweed, fish extract or molasses on the LFS? I had tried that once years ago on my orchid and I ended up with a moldy mess. Maybe I didn't water it down enough but it was a nightmare!

Anne

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I just started a bunch of pachyclada seeds by first putting them in between 2 damp paper towels until they sprouted. Then I moved them to some fine, damp seed starter soil in a small plastic dish (about 2 inches of soil). I just laid them on top of the dirt & then sprinkled a bit over them. Then I misted them in & put a snap on lid on the container. I used a clamshell type container also. (The kind those already cooked chickens in the grocery stores come in) However...you could use any small shallow container. You have to be able to cover it with something (a lid or plastic wrap) to keep them quite moist until they get going. Then you can take the lid off a little at a time until you can just grow them without.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Anne I would not use it with LFS but have used seaweed with LFS no problems.I have used all three with my coir and Semi-hydro no problems.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I too just started some H pachylada seeds. But I did it in perlite & chopped up LFS in a container I moistened & then sealed shut.

It's been unusually warm in NYC, last minute beach days in the 80s. It happens I potted up the seeds which I'd recently received. They got about 3 days of warmth & some nice sun. I planted them on 10/7 & saw tiny sprouts tonight. I hope to take some pix next weekend & see how they progress. Good fun, thanks again GardenWebber for the seeds!!

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Did any of you put heat under your seeds? I am wondering since we are heading into cooler days (although someone needs to tell October that) if the heat will be good or not.

Thanks!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

If cuttings have rooted, then they are fine to fertilize.
    I tend to start off with a mild dose for the first fertilization - maybe 1/4 or 1/2 strength only.

That said, it is known that soils low in initial fertility are conducive to root-growth.
    Therefore, if one is establishing roots in a new medium, it is probably best to withold
    fertilizer for two weeks. This is the standard period that I wait to fertilize any
    re-potted plant.

Josh

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Josh,

Since my root system is new and on the weaker side do you think that the roots will develop a stronger root system if I hold off on fertilizing them for a bit longer? I got the plants in mid August some of them took quite some time to root and probably only started rooting well only a week ago others rooted withing the second week of being potted. What is your take on Dyna-Gro's KLN rooting fertilizer?

Thanks,

Anne

• rennfl
    12 years ago

My son is in the middle of a science project for school that had to involve plants.

What we did was cuttings of laconusa, watered daily with

1. tap water
    2. fertilizer, regular strength
    3. seaweed extract
    4. fertilzer, regular strength plus seaweed extract
    5. double strength fertilizer

They are in clear plastic cups, with Hydroton as the media so we don't have to disturb the cuttings to see if they rooted. (The cut stems are up against the side of the cup)

So far, as of Day 5, the only one to root is number 4, fertilizer and seaweed extract.

Simple science project for a child, but I figured if I had to help him with something, at least I should get some info out of it lol

Renee

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

I'm waiting some seeds to arrive in Brazil and I'm worried because it is taken too long, due to the strike of our post office.

Can anyone tell me how long the seeds can resist before potting? I'll be very very sad if they didn't make!

Thank you

Mitzi from Brazil

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Renee,

I love it!!!! That's the kind of thinking I like. Out of curiosity, what are you doing for lighting?

Anne

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh, and what kind of fertilizer?

Thanks!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Howdy, Anne!
    You know, I've never used that particular product.
    I'll ask around, and report back.

Josh

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Anne,

We are just using morning sunlight. They are in a container on the back patio, so they are a little protected, and they get direct early morning sun for an hour or two.

Renee

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

I have no supplemental light to give my new seedlings.

It's just clouded over here for the last few days & cooled down into Fall. I'll be keeping the seedlings near the west window to get whatever bright indirect light they can all day long. Going to cross my fingers & hope for the best.