Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Visit SRQ Hoyas = Happy Happy Happy Joy Joy Joy

greedygh0st
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to scratch out a quick note to apologize for falling off the face of the Hoya planet and let you know I'm back and will be posting again.

I had some family troubles that were/(are) taking up a lot of my time, and I took a trip down to Florida. None of which any of you need to be concerned about, except that while I was in Florida, I got to see Joni and her operation at SRQ Hoyas and it was ... the best. day. ever!

First off, I want to say for the record that all you Floridians are lucky lucky ducks.

Second, I want to add my voice to the ever-growing pile of happy SRQ visitors. I had already grown wise to the fact that Joni's a generous and well-intentioned soul who really cares about our community. So, it's not like I was surprised it was a lot of fun, but whoa was it a lot of fun, guys! Like a crack buffet!

So, I show up at SRQ and am faced with table upon table of lush happy baby plants and fascinating looking mama plants and it was like my brain literally locked up. I sort of hovered around the tables like an indecisive zombie in a room full of sleeping victims. I think my arms were even kind of frozen outstretched and graspy. I got to see a lot of rare Hoyas I'd never laid eyes on before, see a lot of the plants from my collection all grown up, see lots of blooms I'd not yet witnessed, and make side by side comparisons of plants I'd always wanted to contrast (e.g. lacunosa cultivars or name-your-Eriostemma). Next time, I'm just going to bring a sleeping bag and camp out there for a week, because that's about as long as it would take for me to be there and chill out enough to breathe.

Add to that the fact that Joni is fascinating, candid, and down to earth. Full of interesting observations, stories, ideas, and information. I felt like I should have had a tape recorder and realllly regret that I didn't take any pictures, but I was just trying to soak up everything like a little sponge and not miss a thing.

Soooo... if any of you are down in that neck of the woods, highly recommended!

Happy Halloween to everyone & I'll be piping up much more again. Forgive me as I begin to resurrect lots of dead and decomposing threads.

P's. I thought it would amuse you all that Joni helped me pick out a first Hoya for my sister, who was traveling with me, and when my sister had to take it home on her flight, she first got into a tiff with airport security over how to run it through the x-ray without breaking off any peduncles, and then gave it its own seat at the crowded bar pre-flight. So, I guess she's all set to be initiated as a card carrying plant nut.

Comments (13)

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

OH... GG... so glad to hear from you; hope all is well with your family... I have truly been wondering about you lately since you were the first to give me concise and easily understood advice... being newbie and all... and what a joy for you to have met Joni and to have seen her 'special world'.... if I do ever ever get that far south (Springfield MA is about it these days... I would put her on my to do list!... when my little pug (nearly 10 yrs) and my ancient 17 yr old cat have "left the fold" for warmer spaces, I will for the first time in many years be "alone".... and I have 3 sisters who live in Fl!... maybe should buy plane tickets now before they get any higher!.... no pun there!... welcome back.. I'll be following your threads!... Eileen in Vermont

• marco
    12 years ago

Welcome back GG ! We missed you. I am so glad that you had the chance to meet Joni and see SRQ. I agree, joni is one of those people that you just do not forget meeting. I am lucky to be just 55 miles north of her. Welcome back, stir the pot (dust off some old threads), and make yourself comfy !

poseidon

• suetran1
    12 years ago

Yeh, I wish I could make a trip down to FL.
    Good to see you back, GG.

• banannas
    12 years ago

Oh yay you are alive!!! It seems like it was good karmic pay back for you, you lucky duck!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi GG!! We've missed you around here. I'm so glad to see you back and posting again!

I can only imagine how much fun you had and I'm sure you were like a kid at a candy store,lol...One of these days I'll have to stop by and visit Joni, she's only about 2 hours away, I think the reason I haven't is because I know how addicted I am! It would be like if I was on a diet and I walk into a Huge Bakery! Plus, I really don't have a lot of room, so I have to watch what I buy. Although, it would be fun just to see all of her Hoyas!

While we're on the subject of some missing members...has anyone heard from Kelly(knits) lately. I've missed her too...haven't seen her post in quite a while. Kelly, if you see this post, we miss seeing you and hope you're doing okay.

Welcome back GG!!

Nancy

• klyde
    12 years ago

You lucky, lucky sod. If I wasn't so happy for you I'd be jealous. Okay, I'm big jealous. Time for another mini chocolate bar (grumble, grumble, munch, munch).

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Welcome back, GG! Glad to hear that you had such a good time down in Florida and got to meet Joni and see her beautiful collection of Hoyas! I hope you had a Happy Halloween too!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

GG, just wanted to say welcome back - you were missed. I mostly lurk, but missed your posts and polls. Congrats on your visit to SRQ. Hope it helped balance out some of the "family troubles".
    Beverly

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Hey Welcome back GG, I've missed your posts, and hope everything is at least a little better.

I'm heading over to Orlando/Tampa next Monday myself. Will be stopping at an orchid nursery to pick up new Bulbophyllums on the way down, and am very excited.

But originally we were supposed to come home that Friday, but my work situation has changed recently, and now I'm trying to talk my sis and mom into heading over to Sarasota that Friday and hanging out on Siesta Key, they have never been there.

I may have to try to see if I can visit SRQ that day as well.

Funny story, my birthday is near Christmas and I'm going to be 40 this year, so my mom recently asked me what I wanted. I told her a gift certificate to SRQ. She said that's all? Don't you want something "for yourself" I laughed and said yep all I want is the gift certificate - that is for myself. lol

Renee

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Welcome back, GG. I've missed your posts. Sorry you've had family troubles. Hopefully they'll get sorted out. I'm glad you got to see Joni. One of these days I'll have to take a trip there. It's not really too far from me, about 2 hrs. traveling time. I don't drive highway and my hubby is not really into plants of any kind, except the kind you can eat. I'll have to get my daughter to to take me.
    Anyway, I'm glad you're back and looking forward to your posts. I'm mainly a lurker and usually check in every day.
    ~Eileen in FL~

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Welcome back GG!

Mike

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aw thanks everyone for the warm welcome back. I missed chatting with you.

I used to have kind of a "meh" attitude about Florida and now I can't for the life of me figure out why. It's so easy on the eyes. And really nice folks there - although maybe they're just so nice because they're living in paradise.

/Eileen. I hear you about the furry babies. I have been out of town so much lately that my cat is punishing me. ._.' So great that you have 3 sisters down there! I definitely hope I get to retire near my sisters someday.

/Poseidon. "I agree, joni is one of those people that you just do not forget meeting." You just could not have put it better. That's what I keep trying to explain to people about her. I can't quite put words to her, but she's one of a kind.

/Pug. It is exactly like that. I felt like Homer in that episode of The Simpsons where he is in The Land of Chocolate. All those little planty faces staring up at you, and their moms nearby so you can see exactly what they will look like when they are of an established size. It should make it easier to decide what you want, but really what happened to me was that I suddenly saw the appeal of all the plants I'd previously vetoed when merely viewing them online.

Unfortunately Kelly has been busy addressing some health issues. We recently heard she was making some progress and I'm sure she'll be on here again eventually. I miss her too.

/Renee. Whoa a vacation with both Bulbophyllums and Hoyas?! That's pretty posh. :) I hope you're able to make it out to Sarasota/Siesta Key. My sister really wanted me to drop her off in Siesta Key while I was visiting Joni but unfortunately for her, she slept in and I wasn't going to wait any longer! :P

/Ima. It's a really pretty area, so I think it would make a fun day trip. If your daughter takes you, maybe as a thank you gift, you'll be faced with the same conundrum as I was: what a person's First Hoya should be. I went with polystachya, but Joni's suggestion of merrilli was a really good one, I thought.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Wow, Am I regretting never knowing Hoyas while I was in Florida for 10 months. I've got to admit that right off the bat. I lived in the pan handle of Florida while DH retrained for the Air Force, EOD.

10 Months wasted! lol Ah well! So glad you had a very good trip to meet Joni and got a first hoya for your sister. =)

It's wonderful to have you back posting again GG, I love reading posts from everyone on here! Keeps me informed and entertained too. Everyone here is so friendly.

~Tina

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts