Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamiedolan_gw

Identifications

jamiedolan
13 years ago

Hello;

I bought a few hoya over the past week or so. I got them from Home Depot and Stein Gardens.

Only the one from home depot was labeled with the name. The others did not say the variety.

I was looking at buying some more Hoya online, but quickly realized I can't tell what plants I already have.

Can you tell me or direction me to a page that would tell me some of the common Hoya and help me to identify them.

Thanks

Jamie

Comments (10)

• Denise
    13 years ago

Hi Jamie,

Can you post photos? If not, a good site for identifying is Hoyor.net, but it will be a time-consuming process because there are hundreds of species.

Denise in Omaha

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you in advance. I have one other I didn't post a photo of but that one was from home depot and had a identification tag on it. I went to the Stein Gardens store tonight and asked if they knew what the Hoya names were for the Hoya they sold and they had no idea.

Jamie

• Denise
    13 years ago

#1, 2 & 4 are carnosa 'Krimson Queen', #3 & 5 are carnosa 'Krimson Princess'.

Denise in Omaha

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You.

They look so similar to the variegated Hoya I have seen.

Thanks
    Jamie

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Jamie I am not sure if you understood Denise's answer but your plants are Hoyas, all varieties of Hoya carnosa.

Take care

Mike

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I believe I understand, I have:

Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Queen'Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess'

I was looking at a ebay seller at some Hoya, including:
    Hoya carnosa Variegated TRICOLOR

The Hoya Carnosa Variegated Tricolor looks very similar to Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Queen' from what I can tell from the photos of Hoya Carnosa Variegated Tricolor.

Thanks

Jamie

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hi Jamie,

Yes, it's pretty much the same plant, Denise is using the more correct names/terms which we try & use, the common Box store names are often incorrect (especially Exotic Angel's tags, EA for short).

I too have the common named Hoya Carnosa Variegated Tricolor & I believe it to be H. carnosa 'Krimson Queen', maybe the 'superb' form as was pointed out to me.

Try not to go crazy w/ the names, just get to know the look of the leaves (which you like or maybe don't like) & w/ the variegates, distinction is made whether the variegation (the white) is on the outer edge of the leaves (like Krimson Queen or KQ) or the lighter colored portion of the leaves in towards the inner portion of the leaf (Krimson Princess, or KP).

Confusing, we know, we've all been there.

If it helps, search my old post "Pirate Girl's correctly named Hoyas". This is a list I made to keep from going nuts w/ all of EA's crazy names for Hoyas, some they invented (Hoya stripes, which is really H curtisii).

I shared this list as I felt it'd be helpful to Hoya newbies so they wouldn't buy duplicates because of different names on them. HTH = hope this helps.

(PG) Karen

• jamiedolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HI Karen;

Thanks for the information. I've looked around some more the last couple days at local stores and the only other Hoya I have found locally is called Ruby Sue at Home Depot. I am hoping the holiday season brings in more Hoya.

I'm thinking about getting some Hoya that I like the looks of on ebay auctions. They do get rather expensive with shipping though.

Thanks

Jamie

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

You're welcome Jamie,

I personally stay away from EBay.

Depending on what's catching your eye, check out a vendor known as Cowboyflowerman, he has a great reputation & many folks from around here have bought from him, I hope to order from him next Spring.

I believe Ruby Sue is a form of H Lacunosa (w/ speckled leaves, getting some reddish to them, nice looking).

• paul_
    13 years ago

You might also check periodically in the "Exchanges" section of this forum or even post a "Want" ad in that section in case a forum member has cuttings available for trade (trades don't always have to be hoya for hoya -- some folks may be willing to trade hoya cuttings for nonhoya plants/cuttings).

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm