Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

The Changing Seasons

mdahms1979
13 years ago

I thought I would start a discussion on the different seasonal changes experienced by Hoyas in nature and how to best grow and bloom species that are found in areas with pronounced seasons.

Many Hoyas grow in areas with high year round rainfall but others are specially adapted to survive up to two dry periods each year. A dry period can be totally dry for several weeks or a period of much less rainfall that can last for several months. Orchid growers are familiar with the deciduous species found in different Asian genera, many Dendrobiums drop their leaves and survive on energy stored in their pseudobulbs. Some Hoyas store their energy reserves in thick succulent leaves and this allows them to survive harsh conditions. I am not familiar with the specific needs of these Hoyas in regards to their rest periods but most of the orchids that share these same habitats will not flower if the rest is ignored. Often times there is a temperature drop that corresponds with the dry season and this is more pronounced at higher elevations. Some species may experience rainfall all year but with a significant reduction in rainfall which causes the plant to stop actively growing. If your Hoya stops growing during the winter it will benefit from being kept slightly dryer, especially if light levels are low. In the tropics the dry season is often the brightest time of the year for plants as many forest plants and trees also shed their leaves.

Here is a great link that shows different provinces in Thailand and what their yearly weather patterns are. The province of Chiang Mai in the North is one that is associated with Hoya species that have thick succulent leaves. If you look at the rainfall patterns you will see that during the dry season there is only 7.7mm of rain in January and this increases dramatically to 157.6mm in the wettest month of July.

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

The link at the bottom shows a paper on the climatic cycles of the Doi Tung region of Northern Thailand. There is a list plant species adapted to this seasonally dry area and several Hoyas are listed, they include Hoya kerrii, Hoya verticilata, Hoya thompsonii and Hoya sp. Doi Tung.

Other well known Hoya species that grow in these seasonally dry/drier areas are Hoya rigida and some forms of Hoya pottsii and related species like Hoya sp. Chaing Mai. These seasonal patterns also occur in other areas and continents where Hoyas are found and they include India, other Asian countries and parts of Australia.

I though I would start this discussion because Hoya growing is not yet as detailed when it comes to orchid growing but these plants share the same types of habitats. Unless there is collection data to accompany Hoyas it can be difficult to determine what type of culture they need. Often knowing a general geographic area is all you need to do a search for weather/seasonal info. I figure if a Hoya blooms well for you there is little need to change it's culture but other more stubborn bloomers may be trying to tell you that they would appreciate a seasonal change and this may be all that is needed to coax them into bloom. Thin leaved species obviously require year round moisture but the next time you look at your plants consider which ones are adapted to periods of low rainfall.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Climate and vegitation info on Doi Tung Northern Thailand

Comments (23)

• gennykins
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks like its back to grad school...so technical yet so timely, many thanks for the info, Mike!

lisa

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now is about the time that many of the deciduous orchids I grow start to loose their leaves and rest and I thought it would be good to do a little research into what Hoyas share similar habitats/climates.
    All of the Hoyas I have that I know are found in areas that experience a dry season are still too small to bloom. I plan on trying a simulated dry season with a few of the more established plants. Watering lightly with a pump sprayer instead of drenching the potting mix.

I have read online that Hoya archboldiana is another species that blooms after a period of reduced water but have been unable to find specific climate data to back it up.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Great topic, Mike and thanks for sharing your research.

I've been thinking about switching to a colored label system, so I could be reminded at a glance of the needs of different subgroups of Hoyas. This might give me a hand as I internalize the data researched for so many different plants.

Reading your thread, it occurs to me that assigning colors based on region of origin (vs a composite of light, water and temperature needs) would allow me to continue to develop my understanding of a color group's needs. (Versus establishing a group based on what I know now and having the group splinter apart as I learn more).

Still very daunting, though!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GG a coloured label system is a good idea to help keep track of plants that enjoy different seasonal cultural changes. Most Hoyas seem to do well with bright lindirect light so I don't worry about light levels as much. Having said that there are several species that really do best in higher light to sun.

The link below shows a Hoya during the dry season. When we see photos os Hoyas in nature with red leaves or other pronounced colouring it is often due to the stress of increased light levels during the dry season as well as water stress.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Hoya

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Glad you don't think I'm crazy. Yes, I don't worry about light levels for most of my Hoyas, just try to stay abreast of the exceptions.

Great picture! I was interested in your points about some environments granting Hoyas greater light during the dry season. It makes so much sense, but it runs counter to our instincts in this part of the world.

Which plants are you trying your simulated dry season on? Are you changing any other variables?

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am going to give Hoya kerrii, Hoya pachyclada, Hoya thompsonii, Hoya loyceandrewsiana and Hoya archboldiana a dryer winter rest.
    My Hoya rigida is still just a rooted cutting so it will get water all winter long. I am going to have to make a chart to remind me when to increase the water though. Even waiting a few more days to water during the winter than you normally would should be enough to give the plant a rest. Instead of growing moist let the potting mix dry out on top.

I think the first time I do this I will go easy on the plants and see how they react. The problem is knowing how dry the plants want to be, many orchids shrivel up pretty good during their rest period. Some get watered sparingly, others misted every now and then while others want to be pretty much bone dry for months. I plan on taking cues from the plants, most will tell you when they want you to start watering. An example is my Calanthe rosea orchid which is just starting to drop it's leaves now. This orchid grows in Northern Thailand and Myanmar(Burma) and it drops it's leaves in the dry season, flowers from energy reserves in the leafless pseudobulbs and then once it's new growths are underway you know it's time to start watering again.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Calanthe rosea

• rennfl
    13 years ago

Mike, I have a question relating to changing seasons. Do you also reduce watering, letting them dry out a little more, if the growth slows as well? I'm assuming that with less daylight hours, and cooler temps, the growth will slow down also. Or am I wrong?

We are starting to cool off a little, and I have noticed my plants that put out long leafless stems, are starting to fill in those stems now. And the stems growth is slowing. Is this normal?

With my orchids, even those that don't need a winter rest, they still get less water in the winter, as they aren't actively growing. Should I treat the Hoyas the same?

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If your plant is actively growing new stems and leaves you can keep watering but if the growth stops that would be the best time to start allowing the plant to dry out more. If the leaves are actively trying to develop definitely keep watering until they are mature.
    You are right about watering your plants less in the winter when there are lower temperatures and less light. Giving too much water in the winter can cause soggy potting mixes and problems especially if they plants experience days of gloomy weather.

Most orchid growers recommend to water the most when growths are developing and then once the growths are mature to simply maintain the plant. There are of course species of orchids like some Phalaenopsis sp etc that don't have the ability to store energy reserves and which like year round water. I guess the tough part is figuring out what Hoyas actually come from areas with seasonal rainfall. You would not want to dry out a species that normally receives moisture fairly constantly all year round. Plants in cultivation are of course different that ones growing in nature. I grow some mini Phal species that are deciduous in nature but that are usually given enough water in cultivation to maintain their leaves. Also many growers allow smaller/younger plants to grow year round and don't start to restrict water until they are mature enough to bloom.
    I guess it comes down to how your plant is performing for you. If you see lots of growth but never any flowers then maybe a dryer period is what the plant needs to stimulate blooming. If your plant does well for you and blooms then don't worry about changing anything, this post was meant to get people thinking about those plants that they grow that they just can't get to bloom and just one possible solution.

Mike

• soniarj
    13 years ago

Hello everyone!
    Hi Mike,
    You left me worried that I have a Archboldiana not flourished, only branches. I ask you, can be no such drought??
    Here in Brazil it's spring, I can refer it to this period of drought or now have to wait for the winter?
    Very good explanations, I thank you for sharing the information. Thanks also for the wonderful pictures from Thailand.
    Bye for now!
    Hugs

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi Soniarj
    Not Mike, but I wanted to pass along this great site I go to often when trying to get info on where and how certain hoyas that I have come from.
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=pt&u=http://www.simones-hoyas.de/Hoya%2520nicholsoniae.html

Here is a link that might be useful: simones hoya info

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy I often use that site, really great information and fantastic photos of Hoyas growing in nature. Google translate is so handy to.

Soniarj it would be best to grow your Hoyas just like your climate, lots of water in the wet season and less when it is naturally drier in your area, don't try to reverse the natural weather. Are you in the Atlantic rainforest region of Brazil? Not sure if you have a dry season at all along the costal areas, maybe just in the inland savannahs?

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Mike, thanks for the great info.

Cindy, I can't seem to open that page...I've been there before
    but I can't seem to find the page that list the different varieties of hoyas? I'll bookmark it this time...once I find it.

• soniarj
    13 years ago

Hello Cindy, I appreciate the link, really good. I use Google for all the translations because I do not speak another language. The online translator from Google is so good that I call him "Saint Google"! hehehehehe
    Hello Mike.
    I live in the Atlantic forest, near the sea.
    This year the weather is very cold and rainy. But I think the summer will be initiated very much.
    With temperatures reaching 40 º C.
    Thanks
    Regards to all you guys.
    sonia polonio
    Rio de Janeiro-Brasil

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sonia I was just reading today that some parts of Amazonas state are very dry this year but that is very far from where you are. Living in the costal area (Rio de janero state?) means you must get some rain all year round. Your Hoyas should love that climate. Do you have a garden to grow your plants in, maybe let them grow up a tree?

Mike

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Mike,

Brazil is a very large country, Amazon is far away from Rio and São Paulo.
    Sonia lives in Rio and I live in São Paulo, is almost 400 Km distance. The distance from São Paulo to Manaus (Amazon) is 4.000 Km.

Sonia: the google translation is good but most of the time the translation does not make sense!!!!

As a tropical country we do not have changing seasons as most of you guys, the main difference is the rain on the summer and the cold (but not very cold) at the winter. Spring is the season with lot of flowers, is hot and humid.

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

At the spring and summer they are my visitors:

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

They are always around at the summer and spring (it is in my small farm close to the city)

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I know Amazonas state is very far away to the North West and you are on the the South Eastern coast line. In Canada we are used to vast distances.
    Great photos, is that bird a Toucanet?

Mike

• hills
    13 years ago

Mike,

It's very interesting your posting - I have trouble in my flat because I can't control the heating, so the plants suffer because they are hot but don't get enough light. So this year I have bought two natural day bulbs and I have put them in a lamp on a timer. I am hoping this way that I will lose less Hoyas this year. Not sure how it's going to work out, but many of my Hoyas are still looking very happy, so keeping my fingers crossed!

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Love the pictures, Mitzicos! I feel like I was just at the zoo. Except the animals are probably having more fun. Do they cause any trouble around your farm?

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

GG

They like to come around kitchen to still the food!!!! We must keep all doors close always. They like bananas very much, so we need to get the bananas before them but I always leave some ....
    GG that place is very close to the city, but they still have enough "green area" to be around!

MIKE, yes the bird is a Toucanet (new word for me) in Portuguese we say "tucano".
    That toucanet has an entire family but on that day he was alone! I could not take better pictures because my dog scare them.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

lol! Such a different lifestyle. I'm pretty sure if I left my door open all week nothing but bugs would come inside. I really envy that you have bananas growing at home! I eat an obscene number of them in my smoothies, so I really wish I had a tree. I would get in a fight with the wildlife! ^_~

At least my lemon tree is in bloom now, so I'll be able to watch SOME fruit growing this Winter!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Mike! I keep meaning to start doing the neccessary research to identify the native climates of all my Hoyas, but I've been so busy lately. It's an excellent Winter project though, and nice to aspire to improve my level of care during a season in which most of my plants need so little. I get kind of frustrated in the Fall. They never seem to need water and it's like they are rejecting my parenting. ^_~

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I first saw Toucanets a few years ago, such beautiful colourful birds but I read that they like to eat the baby birds of other species. The big Toucans are familiar to many of us but these little Toucanets are not something many of us get to see in North America.

GG don't worry about any hijacking, keeps the forum livley and fun.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Toucanet info

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022