Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvidaho_2010

ID please

luvidaho_2010
12 years ago

My mother-in-law has had this hoya for over 25 years. She does not know what it is. I was telling her how much info was available on this forum, she asked if I would see if anyone could tell what this one is. I asked her what color the blooms were, she didn't know hoyas bloomed. This one has never bloomed in the years she has had it.

It is potted in generic bagged potting soil, in a self-watering pot, she doesn't fertilize it. We would appreciate any information you can give us about this hoya and care tips. Maybe we can get the old girl to bloom!

Thank you. Tami

Comments (10)

• Denise
    12 years ago

A very nice clone of carnosa. I bet if your mom fertilized it with some bloom booster, she would get flowers. It looks like a very happy & healthy plant!

Denise in Omaha

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

She has another plant that she started from a cutting of this one. Both have always been very healthy and green. I told her about the types of fertilizer I have read about on this forum. She really was shocked when I told her they bloomed. She thought they were a foliage plant. I showed her pictures on the internet, now she really wants to get it to bloom!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I find when Hoya carnosa has that deep green coloured foliage that it is usually in too little light to bloom. It is best to aim for a medium green colour. Do you know what intensity of light the plant gets? It's close to that window but what exposure is it?
    Also is your mother aware that trimming the new vines will result in no flowers? Many people seem to want to cut off the new growth because it does not fill in with leaves right away.

I agree with Denise, a little fertilizer will do much good. The plant looks very healthy other than the lack of blooms.

Mike

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Apparently she knows little about hoyas, even though she has had it for so many years. She has an amazing green thumb so I am not surprised it is healthy. The window is a Southern exposure but the blind is rarely open. She started the cutting a number of years ago also, as far as I know she hasn't been trimming the vines.

Any suggestions as to which carnosa this might be? I know it is difficult to tell without knowing what color the blooms are. Thanks for your help Denise, and Mike.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

There is no more to the name, this is simply Hoya carnosa.
    That window is perfect but without opening the blinds I am afraid there will be no flowers.

Mike

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike, showing my own lack of hoya knowledge, sorry. I will let her know about the light and the name.

Thanks, Tami

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi folks,

I too felt while looking at these pix what a healthy & happy plant, esp the 2nd pic. I wouldn't change a thing, just add fertilizer & give it some time.

Impressively healthy, note that we've ALL commented on that. Guess it's (what I call) a speckled Carnosa. I think this is a good example of classic Hoya beauty, a common but outstanding example of why some folks just love Hoya leaves.

If it were mine I'd be thinking something like 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Just fertilize & maybe in Spring consider refreshing w/new mix?

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I suggested the same thing to my mother-in-law, pirate_girl. It has looked like this as long as she has had it, beautiful. She was going to take it out of the self-watering pot, I suggested that she leave it alone, it's happy, just open the blind for more light and try to fertilize as you suggest too. She said she has re-potted the plant numerous times over the years so it has never gotten root bound.

She truly has a way with houseplants, I wish I was as good with them as she is. She grows amazing African violets also.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I say get that green thumbed gal some more hoyas to play with!

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am trying mairzy, I bought her a little carnosa rubra the other day and told her I would share some krimson queen with her when I re-pot mine. She grows great houseplants, I struggle with them. I do much better with outside plants, her's don't do quite as well so I guess we balance each other out.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!