Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Pubicalyx 'chimera'

puglvr1
13 years ago

Slim pickins' in the blooming department...but have a couple to share.

'Chimera'(pubicalyx)

Taken from the backside of the flowers...

DS-70...

Comments (21)

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Oh my! That's beautiful!

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Very nice flowers.Love the red on the leaves of DS-70.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

The photo of the back of those 'Chimera' blooms really shows off their dark colour.
    I always admire others DS-70 plants when they show that beautiful red blush. I grow my plant in less light and it's happy so I just leave it where it is. Your plant is very pretty. Is this the first blooming for this one?

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Congrats Pug!

I have both of these plants (isn't Chimera the same as RHP?) and both have yet to bloom for me. Both of these are supposed to have nice fragrances. When Red Buttons bloomed for me, it smelled musky during the day and sweeter at night. DS-70 I think supposed to smell like caramel!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• debbie_ny
    13 years ago

Hi everyone! Yes, Chimera is the same as RHP....absolutely georgous photos! I'm drooling! I wish mine would bloom...I have a huge specimen plant that I've recently chopped up into many cuttings and I'm hopful that one of the cuttings will bloom for me....for some reason, I have several "mother" plants that do nothing....but the cuttings take off and bloom...odd...any thoughts on why that is? anyone? =)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Mike, my DS-70 one is outside under some Oak trees and it gets some direct sunlight off and on, that's why some of the leaves are red. This clone 'chimera' blooms are darker than my RHP blooms...but since my RHP has only bloomed twice...I'm hoping the future blooms will be darker, although I'm not complaining the dark pink color are just as pretty.

Brad, since mine grows outside its so hard to smell anything. I will try and smell them tonight.

Debbie, I wish I could help...but I have no idea why hoyas do what they do,lol...I have a fairly large RHP and its very stingy with blooms. Good luck with yours and hope it blooms soon for you!

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Beautiful plants! I'm so envious of your DS-70. I have made a new resolution to try and keep mine on a better watering schedule. It always seems to get too dry and has led a pretty sulky existence so far.

I especially love your photograph of the 'Chimera' from behind - the blooms almost have a pinwheel stripe!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you GG...I do water mine a little more often than most of my hoyas, it seems to like it. Of course its outside with all the harsh elements...wind/sun/heat and still very hot weather here...Upper 80's to low 90's this week. Guess fall hasn't arrived in FL quite yet.

Mike, I forgot to answer your question, I believe this is the second time DS-70 has bloomed for me. This one was taken last month...its a darker pink.

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Pug, did you get to smell them yet? Since they're outside, you may not get a strong scent (yet I smelled lacunosa when I had it outside). The temps up here in central PA are varied with cool and warm spells (no Halloween pun intended). The lowest we had one night was 29. Must be nice with still summer like temps!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• gennykins
    13 years ago

Nancy,

Your DS-70 is stunning! I love the red leaves. Also, does your Chimera have any variegated purple leaves? I purchased a plant this summer hoping it would but so far, only green and silver.

Lisa

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brad, unfortunately I detected NO scent on my DS-70, my chimera had a mild floral scent...but I had to put my nose right up to it to smell it.

Thanks gennykins! No, this chimera doesn't have any variegated purple leaves...but my RHP gets them occasionally(different plant), even though they are the same variety(pubicalx) the chimera has never gotten them. My RHP gets them but mostly in the fall and winter but they don't stay that color for too long. Eventually they change to variegated green. Right now the RHP is mostly green and green and silver. Hopefully, this winter I'll get them again?

Give yours a little more time, I bet you'll get some soon. Good luck!

This one was taken in 2009
    {{gwi:991487}}
    This was taken a few months before that

• janisoga
    13 years ago

Here is my beautiful plant from our old friend Leslie. Blooms like this a few times a year. Enjoy
    I've had a terrible time uploading this, sure hope I didn't mess up too badly.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• haxuan
    13 years ago

I love the leaves on your Chimera, Pug. And congrats on the new blooms.

I have a DS-70 outside all year so its leaves are red all over. It blooms all year, too; however its blooms are small and have no scent :-(.

Xuan

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Janisoga...your picture didn't show up...but I saw the picture of your pretty Pink silver on another post. Very NICE!

Thanks Xuan...I agree NO scent on my DS-70 blooms either and the flowers are quite small, but I LOVE the red leaves so it makes up for it.

• rennfl
    13 years ago

Great beautiful plants. Funny, my DS-70 seems to hate water. It promptly drops leaves if I don't let it get completely dry in between waterings. (At least I think it's DS-70, it's an EA plant)

I do find it the most rewarding one I've got, it's been nonstop in bloom since about mid July. Went out this morning and it still has about 10, everywhere from bud stage to open blooms.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

My DS-70 lives in a clay pot with bark, really there is no media left because it's all roots. I water every day and it does very well but I agree that this one does not like to be soggy. Not the biggest flowers but it really does put on a show and this species is what got me interested in the Acanthostemma section, they really are great little plants.

I am surprised that some people's plants of DS-70 don't smell. My plant is indoors so I can notice it quite easily, often I get the nectar on my hand or arm while watering and I can even notice the scent then as it's pretty strong when many groups of flowers are open.

Mike

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Dear Mike,

I'd love to see your hoyas.... why don't take some pictures and post here???

Thank you

• peanut01
    13 years ago

I have asked several people about DS-70 bloom fragrance. I clearly smell and taste Butterscotch. I have also heard vanilla extract and dirty laundry/socks.

DS-70 is a very hard plant to photograph for me. Great photos Pug!

My DS-70 got frisky this year and now has several seedpods. I wonder if it crossed with self or another. Several Lacunosa were blooming along with the DS-70, as well as a Carnosa and a Wayetti.

-David

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Rennfl and David!

It is strange how different the scent of our hoyas are to our own individual senses.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Mitzi my Hoya photos are all in my Flickr site. I don't have photos of many of my plants but that's because most are still too small to bloom.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike, I'll see it now!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm