Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you wash the roots when repotting?

Posted by generator_00 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 19:31

Hello, I want to repot a ds-70 because the soil it's in just doesn't seem to drain well and is hard to saturate. I would like to soak the roots for a while and then wash off all the soil and start over with orchid mix and perlite. What are your feeling on doing this? Will it hurt the plants to wash off the roots? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you wash the roots when repotting?

I don't think it will as long as you're gentle about it. Some plants can take a lot of root disturbance, but Hoyas have a reputation for being less forgiving. But when it comes to crummy soil, I would take the chance. I'd figure the bad soil will probably eventually lead to the demise of the plant anyway, so you might as well give it a fighting chance. Most, I've found, really aren't as delicate as the books would have you believe.

Denise in Omaha

o

Hi Generator,

If it's an EA (exotic Angel) plant, good luck trying to get the bad soil off. I tried it with a dischidia I got and the soil wouln't budge.

I also have an EA DS-70 that is in bad soil. I just soaked it and tried to get as much of the bad soil off as I could, then put it in a slightly larger pot, in hopes the roots would find their way to the better potting mix. That was about 4 months ago, and it seems to be doing fine now, growing better and much better color in the leaves. So, hopefully the change served it well.

Hope this helps,

Debi

o

Getting rid of EA soil is like trying to remove tar . . . IMPOSSIBLE!! That stuff is nasty!

Carolyn

o

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll try it and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here