Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roots coming out of the top of the pot. . .

Posted by maidinmontana 5 (debirosin@bresnan.net) on
Sat, Oct 24, 09 at 19:49

I noticed today while watering my hoyas, the three bigger (6 1/2" pot) ones I got from the unmentionable, have quite a few roots showing on top of the soil. I haven't re-potted them, they are still in the soil/pot they came in.

How should I handle this? Just top it off and wait til spring to re-pot? Go ahead and re-pot now? Or just ignore it, it's normal?

There are also some of the smaller ones from Joni and Gardino's that have roots coming out of the bottom. These are in 3" pots. What should I do about these?

Maid~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roots coming out of the top of the pot. . .

As long as the plants don't dry out too fast they should be fine. I have several plants that are probably a little under potted and the surface of their potting mix is almost all roots. The plants grow well as long as they are not allowed to dry out.
If your plants that are in small pots are actively growing potting them up may be just what they need. Some plants will just keep on growing after potting up while others appear to stop and focus on root growth for a while.

Mike

o

I'd move them up to a bigger pot myself. I automatically repot anything I get anyway (except those hugely full EA plants that are next to impossible to repot) because I want them in my own mix, because I like to examine the roots for any problems, and because usually they ARE potbound and I prefer to give mine more room. Though, as Mike says, sometimes they go semi-dormant when you repot, it almost always results in super vigorous growth once they're settled in. I sometimes let mine get potbound due to timing (prefer not to repot when blooming) or I'm in a busy time of my year when I don't have a lot of extra time, but I try never to let them stay potbound for too long.

I vote for repotting.

Denise in Omaha

o

I personally would top it off with your soil mix.

Gabi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here