Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigerdawn_gw

Did Some Repotting

tigerdawn
14 years ago

I had all my hoyas in regular potting soil but I leaned better from being here. So I got a bag of orchid mix, and used about half a bag of pearlite, and mixed those with regular potting soil to make my hoya mix. I hope they'll be happier!

I used to have 3 pots of my carnosa. Now I have one big pot. I think it's more impressive this way :-)

I had my DS-70 in too big a pot so it downsized a little.

And here are my babies: Chelsea and wayetti

Comments (16)

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Tiger Dawn,

Is that the carnosa that the cuttings you'll be sending me from? It's a huge plant! You use the same mix I do except I put peat moss in my mix.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tigerdawn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brad, I emailed you those pics and some more stuff.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Tigerdawn, everything looks great! I think your hoyas will appreciate and be much happier with a faster draining mix.

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

Tiger,

I just got done sending you an e-mail. Thanks for the pictures!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Tammi, is that the H. wayetii from me? Looks like it made the trip just fine.

Funny, I have the mamma of that wayetii sitting next to a 'chelsea' too.

They all look good, now just sit back and watch em grow.

Maid~

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

They all look happy. Good growing.

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Everything looks great repotted!
    I think you will see how much they will like the new potting mix soon. Hoya's love the orchid bark in the mix. If you think of the jungle floor and all the debris this mix is about as close as we can get.
    I have 2 big roll carts like your plant stand. Very sturdy made and nice.,,,,Debbie

• dmichael619
    14 years ago

my potting mix is similar to what you mixed Tiger and they love it

• barb50_2009
    14 years ago

When is the best time to repot? I have a Hoya that was given to me 8 years ago. The first time it flowered was this past year and it flowered twice within 3-4 months. It is in such a small pot and I didn't want to transplant it when it was flowering.
    Thanks, Barb
    PS: if someone can help me with uploading pictures, I would appreciate it. I do have some on Photobucket but not sure how to get them on this site.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi barb50.

You didn't say what zone you live in...I live in FL and I usually repot anytime except Jan and Feb. If you live somewhere where its cold(unless your plants are having problems or near death) I probably would hold off till spring. But if you have a place where you grow them where its warm all the time you can probably repot whenever you need to?

As far as posting photos...
    Mike(ONT) posted this directions a few days ago, since you already use Photobucket.

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting Photos

• luvofroses
    14 years ago

Tigerdawn,You have lovely hoyas, I would love to know where you got your nice plant stand. I have seen to very large ones but never that size which would suite me just fine.
    Ann in So Ut

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

I liked the shelf too, as a matter of fact I went and bought one. It sure does hold a lot of plants. I got mine @ Walmart. They have 3 sizes @ our WM and they either come in stainless (like Tigers) or black. I got the black.

I like them b/c the shelves can be as high/low as you choose, also when it comes to watering, there is no mess. And the sun shines thru them, so there is no wasted sunlight. . .

Sorry if I spoke out of turn, but I haven't seen TD back to this thread and wanted to let Ann know about the shelves.

Maid~

• luvofroses
    14 years ago

Thanks Maid, I did want to know. I also went to our Walmart and found the 3 shelf version which I hope will work until i can figure out where to put the 72in one.
    Ann in So Ut

• generator_00
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info Maid, If I have to go to walmart this afternoon I might as well have some fun and get one as well. And by the way I live in a little town called Superior.

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Generator, never heard of it before, what town is it close to?

We're not far from Worland, Cody, Powell, Sheridan. . . all the border towns. . .

Glad I could help with the shelf info. I have the 72" one, and lets just say it's filling up fast.

Have a good day guys. . .

Maid~

• tigerdawn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, I was helping friends move this weekend. I can't remember if I got that shelf at WalMart or Home Depot. I have a few of them in slightly different sizes. They sure come in handy!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz