Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Water grown Hoya Cutting- when to pot?

plantomaniac08
11 years ago

I cut a vine on my H. carnosa 'Krimson Queen' about a month or so ago and stuck it in a glass of water. It has since grown roots. I'm curious, how long should the roots be before I place it in with "Momma?" As you can see, the roots aren't very long.

Planto

Comments (9)

• emt23
    11 years ago

I would wait a few weeks longer and add a bit of fish emulsion to the water to speed them up, a few inches longer for any breakage that may happen is the goal. Water roots can be fussier for regular potting. I have made mud pudding soil for them to take better in the soil mix before putting them in a regular pot with Momma. Make the "mud puddin" and let it dry out using a clear container with drainage to see the hairs form on the new soil roots. Just my way others have their own way. Sometimes roots will come right out of the muddy mix and form in the air too. ~ Mary

• Denise
    11 years ago

I would remove it from the water now and put it in moist perlite. Keep the perlite fairly moist until you're sure it's good and rooted - it'll resist a gentle tug. Then you can move it in with the mother plant. Roots in perlite don't need as much adjustment as water roots.

Denise in Omaha

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

emt23 & Denise,
    Thank you both for your comments. I do have some fish emulsion lying around so I can squeeze some of that in there for a boost in root growth. I unfortunately don't have any perlite so I will attempt to make the "mud puddin."

Do the "soil roots" look any different than the water roots I'm seeing in the glass? I realize I can tell it has "taken" with the resistance to a gentle tug, I was just asking out of curiosity, I've never grown a new vine this way. Thanks again!

Planto

• emt23
    11 years ago

Just checked a pubicalyx I am working on and the roots are less fuzzy!
    ~ Mary

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary,
    Post a photo please! :)

Planto

• emt23
    11 years ago

This is the best i could get! ~ Mary

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary,
    You have quite the root structure going there, looks like someone's happy! How long did it take for you?

Planto

• emt23
    11 years ago

I started this at the end of August in water and fish emulsion. Being warm it took three weeks to develop roots and then into the mud puddin until I could see the roots on the glass and now let it dry out. I resoaked this last week and now will allow it to go drier especially since it is cooler here and not drying out as quickly when the sun was stronger in the shaded southeast window it sits, also by my kitchen sink it gets plenty of humidity. ~ Mary

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I need to squirt some fish emulsion in mine this weekend, perhaps in a couple weeks it'll be ready for a more solid home. :)

Planto

Sponsored