Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abigail1280

Pink/Silver?

abigail1280
13 years ago

I bought this plant a few months ago on ebay. Since then, my knowledge of hoyas has grown quite a bit, thanks to you all on this forum, and I just want to make sure that this hoya is what I think it is. I know when I bought it they had it listed as just pink, and I had assumed it was a hoya pubicalyx pink/silver. When I got it, it had 3 small leaves, and now it's just sorta gone nuts. The branch growing off of it has grown about 15" in the last 2 weeks. It's been trying to take over the hanging basket my carnosa is in. Sorry about the backgrounds on these pics. I originally shot them on a plain surface, and my flash wouldn't go off, and it was rather blurry.

Comments (20)

• sandi78
    13 years ago

I just ordered from accents for home and garden, they had one called pink silver and it is h. purpureo-fusca. The leaves look a lot like yours. Your plant is very pretty.

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

Your plant looks very healthy and GREEN - what kind of soil mix are you using? (definitely looks like my pink silver)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Your cutting looks very happy. I would suggest something for the vine to wrap around for support. Hoya pubicalyx does not cling to the support very well but you can tie it in place or use butterfly hair clips. You could also grow your plant in a hanging basket and just keep wrapping the vines around the pot and hanger, just remember to keep the growing tip pointed up or it may die back.
    If you don't have the exact variety name just label your plant Hoya pubicalyx, it does look like Pink Silver and once it blooms you should be able to tell.

Mike

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sandi78 - Thank you! I had never heard of purpureo-fusca before, and while looking it up online after I read your post, I saw one listed on there as silver pink. I also saw a purple one on my phone last night, and now I can't find it, or the name of it. I have a thing for purple, lol.

golden ca 2000 - thank you! I believe I used a mix of perlite/vermiculite/peat in there. I might not have put the vermiculite in. I honestly can't remember. It's been a while, and as I've been learning, I've been changing out my potting mix.

Mike - I've actually been contemplating that for the last several days. The smallest hanging baskets I have right now are 6". I had to order them, as they don't have anything that small at the stores around here. I've gotta come up with something for that poor plant to wrap around. Right now it's in a 3" pot and it's about 9" across at the widest area.

The last two times I've been to Lowes, they have these two gorgeous hoyas there growing very thick around their hanging baskets. I've been tempted to buy one, but they have stickers all over the tags, and all I can see is Wax Plant on the label(they're not EAs). Looks like a carnosa, and I've told myself, no more carnosas!! I'd like to get my "pink/silver" to look like that one day.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

This is a fast grower so in a couple of years you will have a large plant that should also be big enough to bloom.

Beware of sites listing plants as Hoya pupureo-fusca because this is not a common species, you will more likely than not get another Hoya pubicalyx. If you order from a specialty Hoya nursery you will get a properly identified plant but many other sources commonly sell improperly tagged species.

Mike

• sandi78
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info Mike, I actually wanted to order that pink silver thinking it was H. pubicalyx but didn't when I saw it also called pupureo-fusca on their sight. Abigail, I love purple as well, and now I'll be looking for that purple flowering one I think:)

• jlt37869
    13 years ago

Your plant looks great!!

I received two unrooted cuttings of pink silver this past spring. It took forever for them to root and take off ,,, but now it's beginning to look like a fast grower (with really long vines). Not too sure how I'm going to grow this one, but for now it's in a 4" pot with a trellis.

May 2010

Oct 2010

Jennifer

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

IN 5 MONTHS YOUR Plant GREW THAT MUCH!!! HOLY COW! Im obviously doing something wrong with mine.... what are you feeding it or whatever... whats the secret?? :0o

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Jennifer...Beautiful Hoya!! Isn't it amazing how quickly some pubicalyx grows? Amazing how fast yours grew! Your hoya is loving whatever you're doing it for it...and it shows, its so nice and healthy!

Golden, my RHP pubicalyx grew pretty quickly too. I think it really loves the heat and humidity. I do fertilize mine "weakly" weekly...but lately I've stopped. I don't need it to grow any bigger,lol...as it is it has to live outside, I don't have the room inside for it.

Here's what it looked like June '08 in a 4" pot
    {{gwi:991659}}

Now...in a 10" pot
    {{gwi:991660}}

• jlt37869
    13 years ago

Abigail - I got my cuttings from Denise and she has hers in a hanging basket ,,, it's huge and thick and beautiful (just like the basket you're describing). I tried to find a pix of it, but the link is no longer working (maybe she'll repost it for us). Anyway, you're off to a great start ,,, I think you're going to end up with a beautiful basket of your own in no time!! :)

Golden - so far, just tap water when it's dry. I did buy all the ingredients for David's beer fertilizer, but I never got around to making it and then I drank the beer myself. I agree with Pug ,,, it's the heat/humidity for this particular hoya. It is definitely not anything that I am doing.

Pug - first of all, your plant is stunning! Love the red tinge ,,, I'm guessing that's from the sun!? But I'm confused. Is it growing freely in the pot? How do you get that round/ball look? I can see a couple of clips, but I don't see any support? I really like how the vines weave in and out of the plant, but are not falling all over the ground ,,, both neat and natural looking at the same time. Very nice!!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thank You Jennifer! Yes, some of the red tints are from very bright light...I actually put it in some morning sun in late fall early winter since I can't do it in the summer or late spring...our sun is so intense from May thru October. I had to find a picture that I took from last year...believe it or not there is a trellis underneath all that mess,lol...as you can see in this picture. What I've been doing is wrapping it around and around (using orchid clips to try and keep everything in place...sort of) and eventually created a round shape. I have it planted in a 10" Clay pot and its sitting on top of an inverted 14" Plastic pot. I raised it above the mulch because snails were munching on some of the leaves.

Here's the plant trellis that is underneath that mess. Taken last year in '09.
    {{gwi:991662}}

• jlt37869
    13 years ago

Oh my, Pug!! Your plant ate your trellis!!!!! And look, more red leaves ,,, very nice!! I almost can't believe it's the same plant. Yours isn't a fast grower ,,, it's a CRAZY fast grower. Thank you so much for sharing your photos!! :)

Jennifer

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys all have some gorgeous plants. I'm so excited for mine to get bigger. I think my pink/silver is the fastest growing of my hoyas. Since I started this post 5 days ago, it's already grown another inch. I think my carnosa chelsea is the slowest grower in the bunch.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Jennifer, You're right...it did eat my trellis :o)

Thanks Abigail280...pubicalyx is really a fast grower, my Chelsea doesn't grow nearly as fast either. I have a few hoyas that are pretty slow to grow, and actually I'm not minding it at all...less room it takes up,lol.

• hills
    13 years ago

Well, my Pink Silver is more purple than pink to be strictly speaking... although I find it's not so reliable on the blooms. I blame myself for this as I potted it up too much - I think it likes to be pot bound!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Very Pretty Hills...great picture! I do love the pubicalyx blooms. My blooms from Pink silver and RHP are only slightly different, my chimera has the darkest bloom out of the three I have.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Hills, you might be interested to learn (as I was, yesterday) that according to this post by maidinmontana, Pink Silver is named not for the flowers, but for the silver speckles on the leaves, which turn pinkish in the sun.

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can some of them be like that? With so much silver on the leaves? The blooms are gorgeous! I'm sure there will be some time before mine blooms, though I have repotted it, and it seems pretty happy. How long does it take for the pink/silver to bloom from a plant the size of mine? Does the length of time vary for different hoyas? I'm guessing it does. None of my hoyas are very old, though my chelsea seems like a pretty well established plant. I've yet to have a hoya bloom for me.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I just realized my link was bad, so here it is again below.

Abigail, none of my publicalyxes have bloomed for me yet, but it is my understanding that it can take around 3 or so years for them to bloom. Carnosas, like your 'Chelsea' are one of the slowest to bloom, around 7-10 years to feel established. Hoyas vary very much in the length of time, as you guessed. Some, like multiflora or heuschkeliana, will bloom right off the bat. Most seem to take a year or so at least.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maid posting CB's publicalyx descriptions

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow. My 3 biggest hoyas are all carnosas: The chelsea, Krimson Queen and Compacta. I think my KQ has grown the most. It's the first one I acquired, and I had no idea what it was at the time. It was just listed as a Strawberries and Cream wax plant. I have recently got some Multiflora cuttings though, and one had a pendule on it when I got it. The flower buds fell off, but it looks as though it's already growing some new ones ... faster than the roots, lol. But I can see where the roots are starting as well. So maybe I'll have some flowers at some point. I'm planning to give away two of my spider plants soon, so maybe I'll replace them with some faster growing hoyas. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert