Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpawl

Dischidia

cpawl
15 years ago

I went across the broader to do some shopping and I stopped in to home depot. They have lots of these and a few compacta hoyas. I do hope this is a dischidia. This will be my frist.If any one knows her name.Thanks

Cindy

Comments (16)

• kellyknits
    15 years ago

Hopefully Denise will be on and recognize it. I think she knows a good bit about them! I only have two and it doesn't look like either one of mine.

Go to the site I listed on another thread (I'll list it again) - there's lots of pictures of different dischidias on there and if you don't recognize it you can try emailing Antone who owns the site.

Hope this helps! It's a beautiful plant!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dischidia's

• cpawl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kelly for the link.

Cindy

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

Hi cpawl,

There was an earlier post on the Houseplants Forum about this plant. puglvr was asking for an ID. Did you happen to read that post?

I also bought this plant based on nans' ID of it being a Dischidia. Unfortunately she didn't post again to verify what her plant tag said.

It is my understanding that Dischidia (like hoya) bleed white sap. I broke a piece off and it did not do that. Sooo, based on that, I still think it's a Peperomia.

Is there anyone on here that could contact EA Plants and ask them? I don't have a camera and I am not computer savvy enough to do it myself. If this isn't possible, I sure hope someone comes along with an answer. It is driving me batty not knowing what this plant is. I will be really grateful for anyones help.

cyberdancer

• cpawl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi cyberdancer before buying this plant I checked to see if it bleed white sap and it did. I went and pinched the vine and it did bleed white but I also snaped a leave in half and no white sap.I am a bit sad if its not a dischidia.

Cindy

• cpawl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cyberdancer, I went and read that post and looks like people think it a dischidia. I sure hope so, I cannot afford to spend money on plants that I don't want.

• bambi_too
    15 years ago

It does look a lot like D. "white diamond". I have been to all of our local HDs and have not found any Hoyas at all. I'll take a photo of mine later and post it. I have just begun collecting Dishidias.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

I agree with bambi, looks like D white diamond.
    Jan

• cyberdancer
    15 years ago

Hmmmm, I will have to go pinch mine again! LOL, poor thing.

I agree, cpawl, I would rather spend my money on something I really want. I like peperomia plants too, but space is also an issue.

I will research the D White Diamond. At least that gives me something to go on. Thanks, everyone.

cyberdancer

• cpawl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went and looked up D White Diamond and it looks like a match.
    Thanks guys
    Cindy

• Denise
    15 years ago

Cindy,

I've seen 'White Diamond' on Antone's website, and it seems to be what I have as D. oiantha variegata. And perhaps 'White Diamond' is the correct name for the variegated version of oiantha. Here's my standard oiantha...

...and a photo of the variegated version...

It's the one that got a couple of pure white shoots this summer. It grows much slower than the green one, which grows like a weed!

Denise in Omaha

• cpawl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Denise, It looks alike so maybe I now have the correct name.Has yours bloomed yet? Are the flowers white? Should I grow this like my hoyas? Sorry about all the questions but this my first one and would like to keep it a live.
    Thank you for help.

Cindy

• Denise
    15 years ago

Cindy,

You couldn't kill oiantha if you were trying! I must have at least half a dozen of the green ones growing here and there around my house, one in a glass jar with no drainage holes. I completely whacked back my "mother" plant this summer, figuring I'd start cuttings and toss the original plant, which was woody and kind of gnarly at the base. I didn't get the "mother" plant tossed and it sat on my back porch, and within a month, it had so much new, gorgeous growth, I had to keep it. This is the best Dischidia to start with, bar none. Your variegated version won't grow quite as aggressively, but I think you'll find it an easy to grow plant. And yes, treat it exactly as you do your Hoyas.

Denise in Omaha

• cpawl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Denise, Thank you for the info.

Cindy

• Denise
    15 years ago

Cindy,

Forgot to add that yes, the blooms are white. My variegated hasn't bloomed, but I'm sure they're the same as they standard green, which has.

Denise in Omaha

• cpawl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Denise thank you.

• sag4luv22_aol_com
    13 years ago

Your beautiful plant is a Dischidia "White Diamonds". They are very easy to grow, though they grow slow. They can tolerate a warm room 70-90F, fertilize every three month 20-20-20 mix, water when soil is dry at least an inch down. This plant adores indirect light (medium). It does well hanging or as a table plant, I am cultivating both.