Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvidaho_2010

Bought a hoya today, now what?

luvidaho_2010
12 years ago

I have wanted a hoya for quite some time. I found this one at Walmart today, on sale even, so I had to bring it home. The tag says it is a Hoya carnosa variegata. My questions are:

Should it be in fast draining soil like a succulent?

There are numerous vines that are missing leaves at the ends, should I trim those back to the last set of leaves or just leave them alone?

If left alone will it sprout new leaves along the bare areas?

Any advice on care or information about this variety would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Tami

Comments (20)

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, forgot to ask what type of fertilizer to use and how often. Thanks

• lalla62
    12 years ago

hi, it is a variegated carnosa.. very beautiful..!!!

i have got one equal to yours!!!

it wants a lightweight soil,very draining.

i use soil for succulent plants ,perlite and vulcanic lapillus.

but now, do not transfer your hoya,she is beautifula and well!!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I would give it some bright light (prefably away from direct sun) although an hour or two of early morning sun should be okay and will help it bloom. I fertilize mine once a week with 1/2 strength of an all purpose fertilizer. There's many out there to choose from, I just happen to use Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro.

Lalla gives some good advise. You have Carnosa 'krimson queen'. Enjoy it and hope it blooms soon for you!

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Wow, can you check to see if these are multiple plants in a pot? If it is I would advise dividing them up and making two or three 8 inch hanging baskets out of this.
    The carnosa group likes lots of root room and while a full basket looks attractive, they can retard growth and reduce flowering in time.
    The carnosa group likes to constantly be in the growing stages as they bloom best on new growths and new growths makes a fuller more colorful basket.

I would recommend using a Peter's Variegated Violet special (if you can find it) otherwise a standard Peter's all purpose or orchid special will work well.

Give this good drainage and allow to grow in a well ventilated airy filtered bright light condition. This will be fast growing in no time!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Nice plant you have. No one answered the question of the bare vines. I wouldn't cut them off. Eventually the will fill with leaves. Peduncles (flower buds) grow from these vines. Don't cut them off either after blooming. They will bloom from the same peduncle again. Hope this helps.

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the help. I did check to see if there were multiple plants in the basket. There are several, that does explain the fullness. We are in late fall here, soon to be winter. If I divide and re-pot it, should I wait until spring?

Ima-thank you for the info on the bare vines. I looked closer at them, it looks like there might be some spots that leaves will develop. I am glad I didn't have time to "clean" it up by trimming them off.

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Geez, wish I would remember to ask all my questions in one post.
    RainforestGuy, how many plants would you suggest I put in each pot? I looked again, counted possibly eight separate plants, it is had to tell with them so tightly packed. Also, do you take the existing soil off the root when re-potting? The soil seems to have little drainage material-perlite/pumice, so I am concerned that it won't drain well. It is quite wet, they must have watered the plants the day I bought it. Sorry for all the questions, I don't want to do something that will harm the plant.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

If it were me, I would just wait until spring to divide it up and just enjoy it the way it is for now. Unless of course the soil is too heavy and it stays wet for too long. Hoyas like to dry out between waterings

• cpawl
    12 years ago

If you decide to wait till spring to re-pot I would take the bottom saucer off, so it can help dry the plant a bit.

Cindy

• cpawl
    12 years ago

One more thing the fertilizer that RFG is telling you to try is not called Peter's Variegated Violet special.The name has been changed to Jack's Variegated Violet special just in case you go looking for it.

• lalla62
    12 years ago

sorry, cpawl, but i do not find in the web site this fertilizer...

i don't find variegated violet but only violet...

why??

• penfold2
    12 years ago

I wouldn't worry if you can't find that violet fertilizer. Though a few people swear by it, I do not recommend it at all. Its 5-50-18 formula has around 30 times more phosphorus than most plants can use, which just unnecessarily increases the mineral concentration in the soil. The goal should be to provide what the plant will use, and nothing more.

Any fertilizer with an N:P:K ratio near 3:1:2 would be a good choice. I really like Dyna-Gro's Foliage Pro 9-3-6, but there are plenty of other good choices as well. Miracle Gro's all purpose plant foods (24-8-16 or 12-4-8 depending on solid or liquid) fit the bill. Even a common 10-10-10 formula will work if that's the best you can find. I would just try to avoid extreme formulas like the 5-50-18 mentioned above.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

lalla62,Try this link maybe they will be able to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: jacks fertilizer

• banannas
    12 years ago

I have a 9-18-9 mix called Roberta's Hawaiian Flower Magic. I have been using it on all my passion flowers, orchids and now hoyas and my compacta is now in in bloom.

That's a little different than the Dyna-gro but it seems inline with those parameters, maybe a little higher on the phosphorus.

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all the advice. I will look to see what fertilizers are available here.

I am anxious to see it bloom!

• lalla62
    12 years ago

thanks to evryone for the advice...

i use 0NE, a fertilizer with 5,5 / 5 / 7,5

how do you consider it??

• penfold2
    12 years ago

lalla,

If you told us the full name of the fertilizer and manufacturer, or a website where it can be found, we could probably tell you more, but the numbers look fine.

• lalla62
    12 years ago

penfold, the fertilizer is:

ONE natural esplosion

VALAGRO spa www. valagro. com.

• penfold2
    12 years ago

Well the website says that it contains some organic ingredients, but otherwise says nothing about what's actually in it. I avoid organic fertilizers in containers, but many Hoya growers have good luck with them. Sorry I can't tell you more.

• lalla62
    12 years ago

grazie , i am finishing it.

i want to buy one that uses a my friend who has beautiful hoyas.
    it is 20-20-20-.

ONE is used here in italy a little for all plants,but i do not know if it is suitable for hoyas.