Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevenwayne_gw

my hoya imerialis has lost the scalloped edges

stevenwayne
12 years ago

Has this ever baldness to you do they return to normal . It's growing really fast probably double in size since I got it about 2 months ago. Puts out a new leaf set every couple of days .

Comments (24)

• stevenwayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Srry baldness was supposed to be happened

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Hoya imperialis can have a range of leaves and the don't always have those wavy edges. Having said that if you grow your plant in too little light the leaves will become thinner, larger and flatter. This is a Hoya that wants it to be very bright and in these conditions you will get more compact growth with leaves that are quite stiff and often with that wavy edge.

Mike

• stevenwayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It gets about 4 hours of almost direct light its in the kitchen window. Which is facing south I could try and give it more light with an artificial lighting system see if it changes

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Well you can't get much better than a South facing window when growing indoors. The change in leaf does not have to signify a problem either. Do keep in mind light levels and if during the winter it is quite gloomy a 23W or higher compact daylight fluorescent bulb placed very close to the plants will certainly help.
    I would also encourage you to do a Google search for Hoya imperialis and look at the variation seen in the leaves. Some leaves are quite broad and flat while others are more compact with stiff wavy edges, this all depends on the specific plant and the conditions it is in.

Mike

• stevenwayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It gets about 4 hours of almost direct light its in the kitchen window. Which is facing south I could try and give it more light with an artificial lighting system see if it changes

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Mine has some of it's leaves scalloped and some not. I think it just grows both kinds depending on how it feels.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

The only imperialis that has the ruffled edged leaf is the imperialis v. rauschii from Ted Green. Everything else in the wild and even other clones do not have the wavy edged leaf as a stable characteristic.
    This wavy edged form is best maintained when the plant is grown very warm and better when heat stressed. The wavy edged form is unique to TG's clone. All the other imperialis (even v. rauschii forms) in the wild do not exhibit this waviness.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

RFG...I have both ruffled edged and No ruffle leaves on my Imperialis. Do you know if mine is 'imperialis v. rauschiii?

Thanks!

• geosdee
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness Nancy that is just beautiful.

Dee

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

A very well grown H. imperialis v. rauschii. Evident by the numerous peduncles in flower. I also notice you have them speckled flowering as well. This is a common trait of variety rauschii.
    Do you get very cold in the winter? Do you need to bring them indoors during this period? I am interested about imperialis' tolerance to cold since it originates from steamy jungles that you can peel your sopping wet shirt off with a spatula even when it hasn't rained.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Dee!! Those pictures were taken end of April of this year, I was shocked to see all those blooms at one time too!

Appreciate it RFG. I do have to bring imperialis inside for most nights in the winter, but I try to bring it back outside during the day to get some some fresh air and dappled sun. We get appx. 5-10 nights of below freezing temps between Dec and mid March. I don't want to take a chance of it declining so when our night temps dip below 57 degrees I bring it inside. So far its been working out fine this way. Thanks!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Nancy that is just gorgeous. To think your plant was stubborn to bloom and then it goes and does that! Ok now I have to work on my plant because it's become huge but no peduncles yet.

My plant has some wavy edges to the leaves but most of the newest leaves are flatter at the margins. My cutting originated in Thailand and is supposed to have red (or at least dark) flowers.

Mike

• stevenwayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is beautiful you would you like to trade for a cutting of your imperialis . Amazing

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike and Stevenwayne!

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Please note that a true red stable imperialis is unknown in the trade as far as I know. The original clone which is the type for this species was never collected again after its first contact. This holds true for so many others that have not been seen since its collection. I wouldn't be surprised if these "species" were in fact hybrids and this is why they have eluded being recollected ever again!
    There are forms with reddish tinged flowers but I have not seen a true red to date.
    Mike, if your dark hoya ever blooms, I'd like to see it, or if you have an image source for the darker colored flowers, I'd like to see that too!

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Just beautiful Dee. I am going to have a talk with mine. LOL Then come spring, I am seeking to find a tree just like that to put it under. :-)

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Marcy! This is one of my Hoyas that I added some Dolimitic/garden lime in my potting mix when I repotted it. I've done that to several of my Hoyas and they seem to like the lime in the mix. I'm sure yours will bloom soon...

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

RFG I got my plant from Plumerin in Thailand and it was either the red form or the Borneo red that are listed, i'll post a link below. Then again my memory is not so good so it could very well bloom pink. lol

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya imperialis red

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

The coloring for photography could be color finished. I have grown five varieties noted to be "Sumatra Red," "Ruby Red," "Blood Red," etc. and were colored like a rauschii or even white at that!

The description and drawing suggest a red flower but no places I have seen were a true red.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

RFG,Take a look at this thai hoya forum they show Borneo red and imperialis v. rauschii.This site sometimes loads slowly so be warned.As they are not trying to sell anything I do not think they are doing any touch ups.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thai hoya forum

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

That's the reddest I have ever seen! But that mottling is a sign that it too can be variable. Not sure if this is an internal disease organism or just a color blight. This has been seen on many hoya species with variable color as a result. This could be a chimaera (not the true color of the flower, just extra melanopores or darker pigments as seen in pubicalyx "Red Buttons" or Hawaiian Purple.
    This was not the case of the original collected material showing true red flowers as in archboldiana and rubida, etc.

But thanks to the link, I will try to investigate further in that group.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Although NOT anywhere as dark as the blooms on the link Cindy provided, mine has bloomed a very dark pink last year. This picture was from April 2010. Much darker than the pink color that bloomed this year.

Thanks for the link Cindy...gorgeous red imperialis!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

AWESOME hoya. puglvr, you have many green thumbs. ENVY, ENVY ENVY!!!!!
    Keep posting the beautiful plants. I'll just keep 'eating my heart out'. LOL

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Eileen!! I have Many hoyas that have never bloomed but I'm not complaining though and appreciate the ones that do,lol...

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional