Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

H. lobbii blooms have opened and boy...

Denise
13 years ago

...are they pretty! So here's the progression: buds...

They look light pink, don't they. Well, surprise - starting to open...

Ok, so the corolla still looks kind of medium pink, right? Surprise again - open flowers...

The corolla now looks close to true red and the corona is a deep burgundy. My nose detects no scent, but I'm loving the colors.

Denise in Omaha

Comments (12)

• babybuttoneyes
    13 years ago

Beautiful! My lobbii is getting ready to bloom for the first time also ;0)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I had expected the flowers to be a lighter colour as well, turned out very nice though.
    Congratulations on the blooms Denise.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I just love the way they look when they are just starting to open. Nice pictures.

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

WOW Denise, that is SOOO pretty! I guess thats going to be on my list!

• soniarj
    13 years ago

Hello Denise. Congratulations for your beautiful Lobi, it's fantastic. I already bought two times, but she not survives.

• rennfl
    13 years ago

It is a beautiful shade of red. I'll have to add this one to my wishlist.

• abigail1280
    13 years ago

I think my husband might freak if I brought home another plant....but I got rid of two this week, so maybe I can get away with it.

This one has the most gorgeous blooms!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Very pretty Denise! Love the colors...congrats!

• Denise
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all. It certainly is extraordinary. I've been a little put off by the plant's meandering habit, but after seeing the flowers, I think it's worth keeping around!

Denise in Omaha

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Congrats on the blooms Denise!!!! The lobbii flowers are really pretty but as you said the plant the plant does sort of have that meandering habit!!! It wouldn't be so bad if they grew out and then down but it sort of wants to retain that umbrella shape.

As for the buds being pink on the outside and then opening up to reveal the true color,my experience with the clones of lobbii that I have had to bloom thus far,that seems to be the norm. The flowers last for a decent period of time as well.

David

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Wow! Really love those blooms! I have two - one of which has had a peduncle for well over a year and it's done nothing! The other one threw out 3 peduncles this year, yet nothing as well.

What kind of conditions is yours kept in?

Kelly

• Denise
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Kelly,

Like polyneura, mine has those little inactive peduncles, too. Mine decided to actually grow and bud up (just this one so far, mind you) when I moved it from the GH into my kitchen - from warmer & more sun, to cooler and shadier. I don't know if it was the change of conditions or if it was just its time.

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer