Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
banannas

Buds, buds, buds!!!!!

banannas
12 years ago

I have been patiently waiting and then not so patiently waiting for one of my hoyas that I have had for awhile now (either my unidentified hoya or one of my two compactas) to set blooms. I was for awhile regularly sending mind signals to my compactas that seemed to have been developing peduncles to set blooms. However, conventional wisdom from the veterans seemed to be they will when they will and they may never even though the mother plant blooms. I sorta stopped watching and then tonight when I went to mother my square leaf cuttings I saw it out of the corner of my eye

then I picked it up to take a picture of it and I saw

and

eek!!!!

And to the lady at the nursery that told me that "these" plants don't flower which drove me to this site because I knew they could.... PTTHHHHH!!!!!!!

Comments (13)

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Yay!!! How great is that? I think I would print this picture & take it to her. Nursery people are so "hoya challenged." LOL

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Congrats! Its beautiful now but will be even more beautiful once in opens! Enjoy them...

I agree with March...most nurseries are Hoya challenged :o)

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi Anne,

What a beautiful surprise, isn't? I wish I would be next one to post some hoya flowers but till this moment I haven't had the pleasure to see any buds/flowers on my hoyas.

Good luck with yours and, if possible, take pictures whenever they open.

Mitzi from Brazil

• Ament
    12 years ago

Most nurseries are hoya challenged! I totally agree. I went to Jolly Lane here in SD and saw a hanging basket of hoya. Beautiful basket. However, they wanted 25 bucks for it and it didn't even have a name on the basket. :( Nor could anyone there tell me what it was. So I passed.

Should have bought it, but at the price, I wasn't so sure. And was annoyed that they couldn't even take time to label it properly, so didn't want to give them my money.

~Tina

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Most nurseries are completely unaware that there is more than one species of Hoya. For plants that are easy to propagate and grow I can't imagine why Hoyas are not more popular. I think that most people want instant gratification and easy and long blooming plants so that makes many Hoyas less appealing to the masses.

Congratulations on the buds.

Mike

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the support.

The funny thing is that I go to this particular nursery because they tend to be so well educated. Many of the employees at this nursery have higher education degrees in horticulture and related fields and teach at the local universities and adult ed classes. They even do their own series of classes at their two locations.

I was really shocked when she told me that they were not flowering plants.

I actually took the compacata down there yesterday and showed her. She said she was surprised and that she actually knew that it could flower but they don't like to advertize them as flowering plants because the do it for so few people.

I think I'm going to suggest they fly Mike, Denise, David and Josh to San Diego to teach a hoya 101 class at their facilities!

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I don't think I have ever been to a nursery where they know much at all about them or their care, except some do know that there are are hoyas and are aware of a couple of varieties. LOL
    There is one nursery near here that actually used to get in several different species at times, but they were only labeled Hoya plant and a few generic suggestions on care. They had compacta, lacunosa, kerrii, both kinds of variegated carnosas, pubicalyx Pink Silver, and carnosa Krinkle 8. When I would ask the ordering lady if & when they were getting them in, I would ask for a certain one and she didn't have a clue, so when I would see one, I went to her with the name and told her she should start labeling it that way. About a year later I was in there and sure enough she had them all labeled with the names I gave her. I was so happy I had done something to help hoyas and the people who like them. Then when I went back this year, the lady was gone, the only hoya I saw was one lowly looking carnosa Krimson Queen, and the label said, "Hoya Plant". LOL...it's hopeless.
    I do also find it puzzeling that such a lovely species that is easy to propagate and raise is not showing up in amongst all the pothos and other common plants all over the stores. Heck, you even see ORCHIDS everywhere now. But finding a variety of hoya hanging in any store or nursery is still as rare as finding gold while hiking the hills.

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They opened! And more peduncles are putting on buds!!!

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh and they smell like chocolate syrup!

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Very nice flowers.I want to point out that your plant may have mealies.On the second to last photo it looks like a mealie on the bare bit close to tip.

Cindy

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Oh, what gorgeous blooms! Now I wish I had bought the one at Home Depot last Spring. Oh well, there's always next time. I sure hope there aren't mealies on it; I imagine it would be a "nightmare" to find all of them.
    Beverly

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Beautiful blooms...what a pretty color! Hoping they're not mealies, good luck!

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well after a thorough checking over there are no mealies! I think that the light from the slats of the blinds hitting the dust/arial root made it look like a mealy. I appreciate the heads up though. We hoya growers gotta have each others backs!!!!

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions
More Discussions