Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buzzb_gw

Hello

buzzb
11 years ago

Hello. My name is Mike and I live in central Florida. I have been hanging around GW for a few months now and I figured it was time I introduced myself.

I'm a big fan of plants and Hoyas in particular (along with a few others). Reading all your posts has been vey interesting and educational and I sure do appreciate all the knowledge and enthusiasm.

It started when I took care of my mom's H carnosa about a year or so ago. Now I have 22 different hoyas and a couple dischidia. I find it amazing that there are nurseries everywhere in Florida but very few places that carry "houseplant" type plants. But I haven't let that slow me down too much.

: )

Comments (15)

• emt23
    11 years ago

Welcome Mike! Glad to hear from you. We are all at different levels of knowledge but share the same love of hoya. And the challenges they do offer. ~ Mary

• Denise
    11 years ago

Hi Mike, and welcome to the Hoya forum. You're right - it's hard to find anything but the most common houseplants, but there are more places to find Hoyas down there than most anywhere else in the country. I've heard of folks from our forum touring Herman Englemann's (Exotic Angel) and Secret Garden Rare Plants (Cowboyflowerman of eBay). But you're right - it's hard to find anything but the most common ones at your local nursery. I've often wondered why since they are such great plants to grow in your home...

Look forward to seeing you around the forum!

Denise in Omaha

• Klea
    11 years ago

Hi Mike! Welcome to the forum. : )

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Nice to meet you, Mike. Glad to read your introduction. :) Do you have a favorite Hoya?

• buzzb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hard to pick a favorite, but this H. lacunosa 'Ruby Sue' has been in perpetual bloom all summer, and my carnosa is large and blooms a ton also so it's pretty easy to like them. Sorry about the image quality....cell phone in poor light.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I know I'm a liiiiiiiiiittle biased, but my first reaction when I see a photo of an exuberant plant like that is:

How do vendors sell other plants when they are sitting next to Hoyas?

^_~

• emt23
    11 years ago

Impressive Mike! ~ Mary

• Klea
    11 years ago

What a beautiful lacunosa! I've always loved the way lacunosa smells, and when there's plenty of umbels the scent is really strong. : )

• buzzb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I usually check on everything in the evening, after dinner. By then the fragrance is strong. I have another lacunosa out there that is in bloom also....not sure of the name... But with both of them blooming its a bit over-whelming.

• geosdee
    11 years ago

Mike where in central florida do you live. Joni lives in Sarasota and has wonderful hoya's. She doesn't usually mind a visit if you let her know in advance.

Dee

• buzzb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live northeast of Tampa...

I think I might have met her at the Plant show and sale at USF... Can't remember for sure, but it was someone here in Florida that sells Hoya's on line. She didn't bring any to the plant sale though. She didn't want to compete against USF Botanical Gardens as they have a really nice selection of Hoya's for sale.
    Mike

• buzzb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought about it on my way home from work... It wasn't Joni that I met at the USF plant show and sale.... It was Gardino's. I purchased a pandanus from them. Same deal though... They didn't bring Hoyas.

Mike

• buzzb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My plant area. Hope to add a green house someday.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I love your grow area, Mike! It has a nice peaceful atmosphere.

• buzzb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks GG. It is peaceful and I enjoy spending time out there. I'm interested in seeing other members growing areas. Maybe I should start a thread?...?

Mike

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler