Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alba_gardener

Knox unflavored gelatin for plants

alba_gardener
15 years ago

Hi,

I was going through some old books and came across a Knox Gelatine book on plants. The book recommends Knox Gelatine for house plants because it provides an excellent primary source of nitrogen. Has anyone else ever heard of using Knox gelatine for plants? I am going to try it. They provide instructions for mixing the gelatine to feed your plants every time you water.

alba in hawthorne,ca

Comments (11)

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

All I can say is if it isn't broken don't fix it. I thought I would try a new product out on my orchid collection last fall and well now I have about 30 orchids where once I had close to 200. If you really want to try this method of feeding plants start with one plant and make it one that you will not mind loosing.

Mike

• alba_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike,
    That's what I was thinking too. I have a plant that is just barely thriving and I think I'll experiment on her.
    alba in hawthorne,ca

• Denise
    15 years ago

Alba,

I remember this from way back and I liked the results I got. I don't use it anymore only because it's a bit of a hassle to use when you're watering hundreds of plants as I do. And it tends to leave a residue in my watering bottles. Knox is a bit expensive, but I have a source for bulk gelatin (not brand name) that's a lot cheaper. (You can drink it daily to releive arthritis pain, which is why I keep it around...) Why don't you give us the recipe for plants? I've long forgotten how to mix it for my plants...

Denise in Omaha

• alba_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Denise,
    Well, Iam glad to hear that someone has used Knox Gelatine for their plants. I never tried it even though I've had this little booklet for years...
    Anyway, here is the formula for mixing according to the booklet.
    Simply empty one envelope of the unflavored Gelatine into a pitcher or 1-quart measure. Add one cup of very hot tap water, stirring until the gelatine is dissolved. Then slowly add three cups of cold water to make one quart. Use it once a month as part of your regular watering program.
    The claim is that Knox Gelatine is an excellent primary source of organic nitrogen.
    alba in hawthorne,ca

• supermom7
    15 years ago

Denise, I was doing some reading of previous threads when I came across this one. Just out of curiosity how does unflavored gelatin relieve arthritis and what is the recipe to mix/use it? Thanks.

• Denise
    15 years ago

Hi Supermom,

Drink 1 tablespoon (or one packet, though that's the expensive way to buy it...) in a cup of hot broth every day. It can take 2-3 months to see the real benefit, but it really does work if you establish the routine. It basically lubricates the joints. I've had arthritic German Shepherds and what I do is make "Knox Blox" using beef bouillon. They'll usually gobble them right up! I'll put a link to the place I buy a no-name bulk gelatin.

Denise in Omaha

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulk gelatin

• supermom7
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Denise, I'll check it out.

• lkepstein
    12 years ago

I have used Knox Unflavored Gelatin since the 1980s and have found great success with my plants being stronger, deeper green, healthier and able to withstand differentials in temperature better as well as bugs. The only thing to be really careful about is that you truly dissolve the gelatin and slowly add the cold water because it will set up and then you have goo that will not only make the plants sick, but attract all kinds of bugs and smell. I've also found that GREAT BIG PLANTS liquid compost works equally good -- just more expensive, as well as Seaweed Liquid. Those two items though you have to be much more careful about as too much isn't a good thing.

• HU-931555683
    2 years ago

I have used Knox unflavored Gelatine on my house plants and it really works, specially on Leafy plants. Years ago the box itself use to show pictures of plants fed with Gelatine and without Gelatine.

• iochroma
    2 years ago

Using gelatin is so dumb. It is a mix of proteins and peptides, and will have to go through several points of breakdown to get to a molecule the plant’s roots could absorb. Why? Pointless and dumb.

Just use a good quality plant food like Dynagrow.

• Stephanie Gibbs
    5 months ago

Absolutely. My mother used it on all her plants and they were incredible. My mom would grow 'sensitive plants' (the ones that close their leaves when touched) using Knox and they thrived.

Sponsored