Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janeeyre_gw

Is this a Hoya plant?

janeeyre
13 years ago

I got this from the 99cent store and they don't exactly label plants very well. Is this a Hoya? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (6)

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Welcome to the Hoya forum, janeeyre!

Congrats, you've got yourself a hoya! It looks like a Hoya carnosa to me. You got it at the 99 cent store?! I've never seen any of the dollar stores around here offer plants of any kind except flower seeds and bulbs. The only places downtown I can find hoyas (rarely do I find one) are Wal-Mart and the grocery stores.

Anyhoo, when it blooms, it'll have pink flowers on it. The fragrance everyone says is similar to chocolate! Most Hoyas, carnosa being one, aren't the most rapid bloomers. They can be grown in a small pot with a trellis or hanging. Do you need any growing tips?
    Ask away and one of us hoya looney tunes will help you!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• janeeyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Moonwolf,

Thanks, I thought it was a Hoya. There's a chain of stores in Nevada and California that sells plants (and many other items). I have to stop visiting this store. I just bought African Violets there today.

How often do you water these plants? I have done some research, one site recommended that I should water every 2 weeks. That seems a bit extreme to me.

I can't wait to see pink flowers on my plant!

Thanks for the information and advice.

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

You're welcome, Jane!

The best way to tell is to stick your finger about an inch into the soil, and if it feels dry, then you water until you see it starting to run out of the bottom of the pot. Do you live where you can keep the plant outside (in bright shade is fine, although I read they love morning sunshine!)?

Good luck with your AVs. They're the only plant I've managed to kill so far. My neighbor just bought me a sweet autumn clematis today, so I'm excited! I don't know if it'll bloom anymore this year, but I'm sure it's going to be worth the wait next year!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• janeeyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again, Moonwolf,

Phew, I've been watering correctly then. I figured 2 weeks begin watering was too extreme.

I have my plant on the windowsill where it gets morning sun. So far, the plant seems happy.

I killed my first 2 AVs. My newer AVs seem to be doing well under my care.

Congrats on your new clematis! I'm always excited when I get a new plant. It's a major addiction, lol.

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Sounds like you're going to have a happy hoya! The AVs I got came from a local grocery store where I got my Thanksgiving cactus last year and I'm happy to say it's setting buds! The AVs didn't last too long, but they are pretty! Are the plants sold at the store fairly common houseplants? Or do they sell a variety? I'd love to get my hands on a string of hearts, lipstick plant or a sweet olive!

Plants are addicting, lol! I have over 20 hoyas plus a crown of thorns, a mother in law tongue/snake plant, an orchid cactus (the night blooming kind called Dutchman's Pipe), a Maid of Orleans Jasmine,the aforementioned Thanksgiving cactus (red w/white centers) and a passion flower. I really am pushing it with the limited space I have, indoors and out. I take it you garden outdoors as well?

BTW, you can also fertilize your plant, if you wish. I use Miracle Gro tomato fertilizer on my plants. I read somewhere on here that tomato fertilizers are geared more towards flower/fruit production. No flowers on my plants yet (except lacunosa but it's infested with mealybugs, a bad hoya pest, as you may know). In the winter, I don't give my plant any fertilizers and I water sparingly. Your plant looks very healthy, so good growing!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• janeeyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Congrats on the buds!

The store I go to has a variety of plants. Last week, I got a Kentia Palm there. In the past I've purchased, spider plants, wandering jew, croton, rubber plant, diffenbachia, schefflera, bromeliad and venus fly traps. I'm not addicted at all, am I?

I fertilized the hoya once but over winter I won't.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions