Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammypie

My Hoya Nummularoides

tammypie
16 years ago

Is going to bloom! This hoya has done nothing since I purchased it from C. Noel several months ago, and the other day, noticed around 6 or 7 penduncles. I already know this hoya will bloom around October-November but I didn't expect this one to do anything.

Thought I'd share. I'll post pics when it blooms.

Comments (30)

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Wow, that is late for numm. to bloom. Mine spent the whole month of September blooming this year, which is unusually early....but I do have 2 small ones that are blooming now, have been for about a week or two.

Thats one nice thing about this hoya, you can get flowers out of cuttings, you don't have to wait years and years.

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Ines
    Would love to see a pic of your baby nummularoides in bloom if you can.
    thanks shanna

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I will post one later today, first I have to post it on that photobucket site and then here, and that takes me forever.

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Ines
    Cool thanks, will be checking for your pic.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

ok, lets see if I got this right

• nova12
    16 years ago

Oh its so little, and cute! I love this one, can't wait to see it bloom for me. Thanks for sharing! What size pot is it in??

• shanna5
    16 years ago

ines
    your numm is very cute and healthy looking, cool that it blooms as a cutting. I am looking for one. thanks for posting the pic.
    shanna

• k0okie
    16 years ago

Im sooo excited to have a nummularoides!! I just love the cute lil flowers!

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Jen, that's adorable. I actually like it even more as a small plant than as a big plant - is that weird??

• kellyknits
    16 years ago

Ines,
    It's beautiful! Did it already have peduncles when you received it?
    Kelly

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Yes, they sure do grow up and no hoya is as "charming" as this one in full bloom! They grow slowly, though. Very slowly! If you can, best to start a plant with several cuttings.

I have a larger nummularioides that came from a now out of business grower, then I have one that my mom adopted that came from cuttings sent to me approx 2 yrs ago (that's in bloom now too) and I have the one in the above picture, which was a cutting (with no peduncles) that I planted late spring/early summer this year. The one in the above picture I have promised to someone and will be sending it in the spring. I will probably add another cutting from my bigger plant to it, because it did have a second cutting that died about a month ago...sometimes they just don't make it.

Fortunately, you can get a big nummularioides from Exotic Angel now.

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Ines
    I didn't realize EA carried nummularioides, I really want one but haven't found it yet, but I am still looking. thanks for the info. Do you know what EA calls nummularioides? shanna

• ines_99
    16 years ago

"Hoya Carnosa Green Leaf"....I think! I haven't really looked much lately but a few months back, maybe mid to late summer, I saw alot of them around, especially at Home Depot. All of them were the bigger size, 10" I believe. You really have to go to the stores a few times a week to catch the fresh shipments, or if you can find a store with a friendly garden center manager, you might be able to sweet talk them into letting you know if a shipment arrives.

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Ines'
    Ok thanks I will watch for it. I am actually going to check at Home Depot today and I was at lowes yesterday, they didn't have it..
    shanna

• o7sugar
    16 years ago

Shanna - I wanted to let you know I found mine at HD maybe 3 weeks ago or so, and believe it or not it was correctly labeled. It did have a different looking label than the ones normally used by EA, so maybe they are s.l.o.w.l.y. correcting their plants.
    -Nicole-

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Awsome Nicole, I am going there tonight. Do you remember how much it was? What size pot was it in?
    shanna

• o7sugar
    16 years ago

It was in a 6 or 8" pot and maybe $14.99 at the most?? If they don't have it I heard that they place their large spring orders sometime in January, so ask your local store and whether or not they can specifically order some you are interested in. That's what I plan on doing.
    Happy Hunting!
    -Nicole-

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Some Home Depots I have heard will do that, but a few in my area have told me they have no say in ordering, it is all done from the big corporate location and usually the order is "send us a selection."

It is worth a try, though. Or if you can find a garden center that still sells tropicals and gets EA plants, they could do it for you. There is one near me that ordered me a few last year.

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Nicole
    I went to Home Depot and Lowes last night and was very dissappointed. Lowes had curtsii (3 hanging baskets)-don't have it yet but they didn't look good. and KP (have 2 of these.. Home Depot didn't have any hoyas and no hanging baskets of anything. Also their plants all looked pretty bad except the Norfork Island Pine's that they just got in and I didn't see any discounts on any of the crappy looking plants. They even had small jade plants in halloween planters and no dicount. I would've asked for a discount but I didn't see anything I had to have.
    Ines
    I will try to go and see if maybe at the beginning of Jan I can sweet talk some garden guy to order for me.
    shanna

• o7sugar
    16 years ago

Shanna - Be careful it may have to be a girl you sweet talk to :)

Ines - That's true and even so than you never really know what you may or may not find at the big stores. Just for instance I asked my local one about any more shipments and they told me not until spring. Well I walked in today and to my surprise found 2 brevialata and 2 lacunosa. I don't know if it was a store to store transfer or what, and surprisingly they still looked pretty good. So we'll see.
    -Nicole-

• txmom
    16 years ago

I am envious of ANYONE who finds a hoya at Lowes and Home Depot - think I've only seen 2-3 and never any variety.
    I don't want to order onine and pay shipping so I'm always on the lookout for plants in the stores.

• jewels66
    9 years ago

I have never seen any Hoya's at Lowe's or HD. :(

I have a start of Hoya Nummularoides I got June of last summer. It hasn't grown. Is there hope?

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

There's hope. Mine didn't start growing immediately either. A lot of Hoyas need some time to get moving again, after they are relocated. As long as it looks healthy, I wouldn't worry.

• jewels66
    9 years ago

I tried to take a picture with my tablet but not sure what I'm doing. So it's not a good one. It hasn't grown but getting a little bit of red to the leaves.
    I hope mine doesn't take 2 or 3 years to grow.
    Thanks GreedyGhost.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

lol They don't make the cameras very useful on tablets, do they? But I guess in a pinch!

It looks healthy. If the leaves are turning red, you must be giving it good light. Everything about your setup looks correct to me. If I don't ask, somebody will - are you fertilizing?

I don't think you will have to wait years. It probably just took some time to fill out its new root structure and will get moving above ground very soon. The longest it's ever taken one of mine, to finish adjusting and start growing at their natural steady pace, is one year.

• jewels66
    9 years ago

Yes, I use Shultz 10-15-10.
    Sorry about the photo. We just bought a new camera and I am not exactly sure how to use it yet. Hubby is gone for awhile. Yes, it gets plenty of light.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

That's a cute little thing, and looks healthy. The photo is totally fine, too.

It's not critical for growing, but I'd give it some sort of support. Stick a kebob stick into the corner of the pot and gently tie or clip the stem to it without pinching it. Hoyas can grow in any direction, but they prefer UP.

As for fertilizing, doing it "weakly weekly" is best, many people say. Use half the label strength and fertilize every time you water, give or take. Flush the pot generously with plain water once a month or so to get rid of fertilizer salts.

What is that medium? Looks like small grade growstone or perlite. I have not heard of people growing in perlite (only rooting) - maybe that's OK, I am not sure.

The pot size is totally appropriate. Most hoyas like to be tight in the roots.

Regarding light... It does look great with that reddish tint in the leaves, but part of me wonders if too much light is what's impeding growth. I doubt it, but summer is generally the season of rampant or at least SOME growth, so there's gotta be SOMEthing...

Underwatering is another potential culprit to give a thought to. Lots of light (and heat that generally comes with it, and fast evaporation that comes along), plus very fast-draining medium, plus a small pot - each but especially all together can easily lead to underwatering. If there are a lot of roots in the pot, that will also contribute to fast drying out of the medium. What are your practical rules for when to water this guy?

I recently (less than a month ago) saw this Hoya from EA at a Walmart, by the way. Couldn't believe my eyes, but there it was. So, there is hope to find it at a big box store if you are patient. Buying or trading from a private party is so much more likely though.

• jewels66
    9 years ago

I fertilize every time I water during the spring/summer time. I am using full strength though. I usually wait till it's on the dry side, maybe once a week.
    That is perlite and do use it. I didn't know it was mainly for rooting. I use it so the soil will be fast draining as I thought that would be best. I use a little African Violet mix and sometimes Orchid mix along with some perlite. What do you use for soil?

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

I got mine from walmart on clearance late last year and boy has it put on tons of growth this summer.

Sponsored