Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
banannas

Mary, Mary quite contrary how does your obovata grow?

banannas
12 years ago

Hi all,

I have been completely overwhelmed at work and didn't realize that somehow I got a serious outbreak of fungus nats, blech!!!! I got sticky fly traps and a new potting medium that is peat free so fingers crossed there will be no more of that. While repotting everything, it really dawned on me how ridiculously tall my obovata is getting. I was thinking about cutting it off relatively low on the vine and making a few cutting of it to put back into the container to fill it out more. I didn't know if that would hurt my chances of getting peduncles though but at the rate it is going it will hit the ceiling before the spring.

What do you all do with your obovata's when they grow this tall?

Anne

Comments (4)

• stevenwayne
    12 years ago

I would suggest take it off the long pole and wrap it . Mine is on an orchid bamboo trellis . Grows hog wild with about 30 penducles on it. I'll post a picture later

• stevenwayne
    12 years ago

I would suggest take it off the long pole and wrap it . Mine is on an orchid bamboo trellis . Grows hog wild with about 30 penducles on it. I'll post a picture later

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Yes, mine grows in a hanging basket and I just wrap the long vines up and around the bottom & then back up into the plant hanger. This plant grows much like H. kerrii in sending out big thick long vines to deal with.
    Very pretty leaves on yours.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The U shaped bamboo trellises are much more useful. When the plant gets too tall you just loop it down and then position the growing tip facing up and let it continue to grow. If you cut your plant back, soon you will have multiple growth reaching for the ceiling and it will be more difficult to deal with than it is now. This is one Hoya that needs a sturdy pot and trellis because it will become quite heavy as it grows larger.

Mike

Sponsored
More Discussions