• emt23
    11 years ago

Do not know but lovely! ~ Mary

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Do not know either, but is very nice!

• emt23
    11 years ago

Try doing a search here for coopers creek, it may be the one!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Your plant does look like Hoya pottsii but it is always best to show both the leaves and flowers when looking for an ID.

emt23 Hoya pottsii Cooper's Creek IML 0353 was collected in Queensland Australia near Cooper's Creek. It's impossible to ID a plant down to it's collection site once that info has been lost and this would only create confusion. If you loose an ID then the best you can ever do is provide the species name, skip the collection data. Hoya pottsii grows over a huge range so there is a large amount of variation in leaf and flower.

Mike

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Showing the leaves on the plant would be helpful. I did manage to get photos of H. potsii from near Cooper Creek in the Daintree Rainforest (didn't actually see any along the creek itself). Unfortunately none were flowering at the time.

• emt23
    11 years ago

mikedahms I do not know how you can read into my statement to search a keyword for Coopers Creek as an attempt to ID a plant and collection site. The next time I offer assistance with comparatives I will make sure I write a an explanation of detail so as to not be interpreted as anything more than that. ~ Mary

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Mary I am sorry if I offended you, that was not at all my intention. You said "Do a search here for Coopers Creek", it may just be the one." That is how I took your mention of Coopers Creek to be an ID. Either way I was only offering a suggestion not to add collection data to an unknown plant.

Mike

• brsucculents
    11 years ago

You may want to look at Stemma Vol 2 #1. There is a great article on H. pottsii and it's relatives with a few pictures.
    I would think that the number of nerves in the leaves would be species distinguishing characteristic, but not according to this article. Also I was unfamiliar with the Blumea article that lumped all pottsii complex (i.e. verticillata, hellwighii, etc.) into one species. Very interesting!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

You will also see that Hoya nicholsoniae form Australia is also lumped into that group. I had not previously seen Hoya verticillata added into this group though. That would mean all plants with the names Hoya acuta, parasitica,verticillata, would also be considered synonymous with Hoya pottsii? That seems like a strange move. Is the Blumea article in English?
    There is still so much work that taxonomists could do with the genus Hoya. Too bad DNA analysis is so expensive as this would give a much clearer picture of species relationships and then there would be less chance of ugly taxonomic arguments arising.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: A study on Hoya species relationships using DNA

• brsucculents
    11 years ago

I don't know. It was just referenced in the Stemma article:
    "In Blumea 40 (1995)2 a treatment of Hoya verticillata G. Don places Hoya pottsii and approximately
    a dozen other names as synonyms* to Hoya verticillata. This work is based
    on the premise that Sperlingia verticillata (Sperlingia was a genus description written for
    the genus Hoya at about the same time, but beaten to publication by the genus description
    "Hoya"), one of two species described for that genus, was synonymous with a broad
    combined taxon* of species which included H. pottsii and H. acuta Haw. (a species collected
    originally from eastern India with flowers similar to H. pottsii, but leaves bearing
    pinnate* venation- see image page 32). The placing of H. pottsii as a synonym to Hoya
    verticillata does not seem to have been accepted by most botanists5,9,10, and does not often
    appear in this form in subsequent literature.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Thanks for that. It does seem like yet another contested taxonomic switcheroo.

Mike

• brsucculents
    11 years ago

I think everyone was aware of the acuta, parasitica, verticillata combination. Also the pottsii and nichelsonii combination but both of these? That seems like a stretch. The leaves are so different. I know leaves are not a good way to distinguish species but I'm not sure flowers are a good way to distinguish Asclepia either since the flower evolves for a particular polinator. Anyway...

• cpawl
    11 years ago

www.biotec.or.th/brt/index.php/download/doc_download/103-17

Some might find this study interesting.

You will have to copy and paste. Got a new computer with windows 8 and I am having problems learning how to use it. This is a study done by a Bangkok university. Plus the other sit also shows very nice photo of the parasiticas group.

This post was edited by cpawl on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 12:37

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Great info Cindy. I'll have to print this out to add to my Library of Hoya publications.

Thanks for posting this.

Mike

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Mike, glade you found the info interesting.

I forgot to post the other link to the nice web page showing all the nice photos of parasitica group.

http://tsantad.multiply.com/photos/album/229/A-collection-of-Hoya-parasiticas

• brsucculents
    11 years ago

Yes, great article Cindy. It would have been better if they had tried to specify species. If they are putting rigida into this group, then wouldn't sp. Chieng Mai (and it may have been. There were many species from this area sampled.) glabra, etc also be included?
    Randy

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I think the study is only dealing with species found in Thailand, will have to look at it again to be sure. Hoya glabra has not been found in Thailand to the best of my knowledge so it may have not been a priority.

Mike

• brsucculents
    11 years ago

In the 'pottsii complex' World of Hoya lists verticillata, subquintuplinervis, siamica, rigida, pachyclada, macrophylla, finlaysonii as coming from this area. However the article just mentions two species, parasitica and rigida. I still think the palmate leaves and pinnate leave species should be different species or at least varieties.

• brsucculents
    11 years ago

Hey Mike, a few years ago you posted a message asking if polystachy has been submerged under clandestina. Is that the case?
    Randy

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

It's all in the wording. A complex is a loose grouping of similar species. Having said that the list of species in the Hoya pottsii complex will never all become synonyms of Hoya pottsii. If you want some good info concerning the different groupings or sections of the genus Hoya then look at the Stemma Journal issues on the Apodagis site.
    The list you gave from The World of Hoyas is a bit misleading. Thailand has many Hoya species, many more that
    are not relatives of Hoya pottsii. Check out Hoyor.net as I am quite sure there is a map of origin tab and there is a more extensive list of Thai species shown. The World of Hoyas in my opinion is not a good publication to get info from, way too many mistakes etc in there and it's just simply out of date.

I am still not too sure about Hoya polystachya and clandestina and have not thought too much about it lately. Christine Burton's website (P.S. The Hoyan) is full of great info so I would reccomend looking there as she really has done great work in helping Hoya growers understand the sometimes confusing world of taxonomy and names of the horticultural trade.

Mike

• brsucculents
    11 years ago

Yes, I've read and love the Stemma articles on the Hoya subgenus. That is how I know which of the Thai species are in the pottsii complex = the ones I've listed. Thailand is home to MANY Hoya species, a lot more then the few I listed. But it is misleading in that the World of Hoya groups Thailand with a couple of other countries. It also seperates Thailand and Siam. lol I also like the Hoya info from Burton. She's just such a bitter person it's hard to read without being discusted. Thankfully the Europeans are writing books in English. Between the incompetance of Kloppenberg and the vengefull bitterness of Burton, these American hobiest are pathetic. I wish Stemma had continued publication.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets
More Discussions