Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalla62

red leaf... why??

lalla62
12 years ago

red leaves on hoya nummularioides, hoya callystophilla.

why??

am i doing something wrong??

i will post photo to you!

Comments (41)

• Denise
    12 years ago

Red usually comes from sun. I have Hoyas in a south window that have been getting indirect bright light all summer because the sun moves straight overhead in the summer months. As winter approaches and it moves south, the sun starts coming directly in the south window and those same plants are being washed with a few hours of direct sun every day, and certain species take on some red tones because of it.

If you moved them into sun all of a sudden, I would probably pull them back a bit and move them into the sun more gradually. But if it's the way I describe, where the sun has been increasing in a certain window over the last few weeks, they're fine. Just enjoy the pretty color!

Denise in Omaha

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

grazie denise....

they are in a veranda, non direct sun but sunlight filtered and bright light.

i also thought they are very happy,but i want be sure i am not wrong.

the best thing is photo....

you can see.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Lalla,

Red leaves are just great! Enjoy it!

Mitzi

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh mitzi, you reassure me...

i have never seen red leaves on my hoyas before now!!!!

it a good think!!!

fiuuuu!!!!!

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

lalla,

I love the red leaves...........

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Lalla!...

"fiuuuu!!!!!" I think translation is phew!... love it... love your posts! I think I would thoroughly enjoy a few red leaves! I don't think there's enough sun in Vermont right now for that! Eileen

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

eileen, i am very happy in this forum for all of you...

my english is from elementary school, but you understand me , you are so kind!!!!!

i love you and my hoyas red leaves!!!

grazia.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Lalla...I LOVE red leaves too! Here's a few of mine.

Enjoy your red leaves...

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oooooohhh!!!!

wanderfuuulll!!!!!

i have to post mine...

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

WOW, just beautiful................. fiuuuuuuuu fiuuuuuuuuu for them!!!!! These means they are great (fiu..... fiu....),

Mitzi

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Pug... those are gorgeous!... wouldn't mind a few red leaves... adds something extra... nice pics... thanks

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks lalla, mitzi and eileen44. You're right red leaves are a nice little bonus on our plants :o)

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

..... and I have not yet put photos.....

sorry.......

you know why???

i still have not learned!

mamma mia what a shame....

• kemistry
    12 years ago

is that the obscura in your second picture puglvr1? gorgeous! :)

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These are mine!!

hoya aldrichii ...??

hoya callistophylla

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Kemistry...the second photo is actually H. nicholsoniae.

Yay Lalla!! Nice reddish leaves...Great job posting the pictures. Very nice!

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Oooh Pug, that H. australis (Lisa?) is so pretty!

Here are some beauties from my visit to Kartuz nursery last week.

Hoya obscura major (I had to bring one of these home with me)

Hoya bordenii

Hoya obscura (I think?)

Hoya pubicalyx 'Red Buttons'

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi Lalla,

Mamma mia, you learned how to put pictures here! Good job.

Mitzi

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

They are beautiful Lalla! Glad you figured out the picture thing too. Now you can post pictures to help with your questions or to show your plants.

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Lalla, that H. callistophylla is so pretty!

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Wow...eye love, you got some great pictures up there. I have been to Kartuz's several times too. I love looking at his beautiful plants. I have a large obscura Major that I got from him when it was a wee plant (he only sells the starter plants), but now it is big and beautiful like his. Just time and patience is needed. I love that bordinii too, but I have not had a lot of luck growing that one. I think his nursery gets a lot of very intense light because all his plants are so colorful.

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Thanks Mairzy, it's always a treat to visit his place. My plants never get this red because of my shade cloth so I think you are right, his get a lot of intense light.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mitzi and mairzy , thank you, you are so nice!!!

eye love, grazie to you, but my callystophilla was more beautiful.

she was going bad because of a wrong soil.

now i changed it and she seems looking better.

i haven't understand if callystophilla wants dry or wet, yet.

will you give me an advise about it????

p.s.i am ashamed to say it, but to post photos my daughter helped me!!!!

grazia.

• penfold2
    12 years ago

They're not Hoyas, but here are some closely related Dischidias of mine that have been getting some sun.

Dischidia ovata

Dischidia hirsuta

Dischidia astephana

Kartuz nursery looks like an awesome place to visit. Wish I had something like that near me.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Great photos everyone, thanks for posting them.

Mike

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Those are neat too. Your Dischidia hirsuta looks like it has measles. LOL. They are closely related plants. In fact, Kartuz carries a lot of dischidias species also. Sometimes it is hard for me to determine which is which when I am up there.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Eye Love, Now those are some of the reddest leaves I've ever seen on Hoyas!! OMG...even sheltered in their greenhouse it must get a TON of light to have majority of the leaves that red! That bordenii and obscura are amazing. Thanks for posting the pictures!

I agree, I wish they had a Kartuz type of nursery near me, it looks like a great place to just hang out...

Penfold, those are some really nice color on your Dischidias...I'll have to give my D. ovata more light, mine are all green.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

The hoya obscura major is just something!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful, gorgeous, very very beautiful!!!!

Mitzi

• banannas
    12 years ago

Those leaves are great! I had no idea Kartuz's was down in SoCal. I live in San Diego and I think that I will definitely be making the drive to see their operation! Thanks for posting bout them!!!!

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Yes, down in Vista. If you do go down it's best to call him first to make sure they are there. They are not open on Sunday & Monday (maybe Tuesday too). Also, If you're into fruit trees at all, there is another nursery on the other side of town called Exotica Rare Fruit Nursery (you can Google the info). I love that place too. They have every fruit tree you can imagine and then some you never heard of. They even set up a table of samples for you to try out and it's all organic. It's a great way to spend an afternoon in these one of a kind nurserys.

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Definitely try to visit the nursery, and Mairzy is correct, call first to make sure they are open. Be prepared to lose your mind, there are so many fantastic plants, thousands of begonias plenty of tropicals and gesneriads. It's well worth a visit.

I came home with 10 new hoya and 2 new dischidia (not to mention a bundle of new begonias) So I'm a happy camper!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Oh California why are you so far away?

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Why I didn't go there when I was in US???? LOL!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Eye love begonias, Congrats on your 10 new Hoyas! Plus all the other plants as well. May I ask you what size pots the hoyas they sell? BTW, yes, those red leaves are from 'lisa'.

Please post pictures of your new Hoyas if you can, we would love to see them.

Mitzi, that's a shame you didn't make it there, there's always next year,lol...

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Pug, mostly they were 2" pots as you can see here

and here

and here

you can click the photos above to see more shots from my visit.

What I bought was
    H. plicata
    H. australis variegata
    H. obscura major
    H. kanya kumariana (sp?)
    H. subcalva
    H. callistophylla
    H. Bella variegata 'Lois Bois'
    H. diptera
    H. glabra
    H. sheperdii (sp?)
    and D. 'White Diamond'
    D. lancifolia (very cool looking!)

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks for the pictures ELB! A very NICE selection indeed...enjoy them and best of luck!!

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kartuz nursery is fantastic...

i have seen on web.

i'm so far away!!!!

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Make your own "Lalla's Nursery" in Italy.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ah ah ah mairzy!!!!

i will think it!!!!

good idea!!!

grazie...

• MojaveLove
    12 years ago

I was looking at my plants today and my Hoya has one deep redish purple leaf. When it was a baby plant this leaf came to me this way, then it "disappeared" and now it is back. This is caused from light, even if only one leaf is a completely different color? The rest of the plant is green - actually now that I think about it while it is green there are black spots all over it (not rot, more like freckles...they're not on the surface they part of it). Maybe that's caused by the light too...

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

This is normal for many Hoyas and other plants in general, new growth being a different colour than mature growth. Having new growth that is dark red or purple is often thought to discourage herbivores from eating the tender new growth.

Hoya pubicalyx 'Royal Hawaiian Purple' is a good example of a Hoya with dark purple new growth and it may well be the plant you have.

Mike

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County