Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitzicos

Hoya especies and identification

mitzicos
13 years ago

Dear all,

I would like to know where I can find the id of hoyas.

Who is in charge of classification/identification.

Sorry for my ignorance but what means GPS, sometimes I want to buy hoyas, with no pictures, only id like GPS 1012, and I have no idea how the plant (flower) looks like.

Thank you

Comments (18)

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hey Mitzicos,

I don't believe there is any ONE authority. I think folks here use different sites for IDs, I believe some of the Swedish sites are especially good, showing both blooms & leaves. I'll leave it to others to recommend the sites.

Sometimes they have no names, just numbers, like the GPS number you mention.

Desculpa,

(PG) Karen

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

The genus Hoya like many other groups of plants have not been recently studied extensively and at this time the genus is still undergoing revision. This is a fairly big genus so there are enough species out there with overlapping ranges or characteristics similar enough to cause confusion. The Hoya verticillata group is a great example, many Hoyas that look very similar but could in fact be separate species. I am not sure if naturally occurring hybrids have been given much though either.

The acronym GPS stands for Gerrard Paul Shirley and it comes on plants from Mr. Shirley's collection including the plants the he collected himself on the island of Sulawesi. Many Hoyas have yet to be properly identified and until they are they get a catalog number. You can search the numbers and get photos of some plants but it takes a lot of searching for others. If you have any questions about plants from Mr. Shirley feel free to ask me as I have many from his collection and have done a ton of investigation into what the unnamed plants might be.

Lacanosa.se has photos of many of these plants. If you have a particular plant in mind let me know and I will tell you what I know about it. It may come down to just being happy with the catalog name, the plant does not care and it's better to keep that name then to assign one that might not be correct. At least if you have the original catalog name you can trace the plant back to it's origin. Knowing the collection site or at least country can be a big help when trying to narrow down the list of possible species it could be.

Look at these sites

GrowingHoyas.com

MyHoyas.com

Hoyor.net

Simones-hoyas.de

Mike

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike,

Thank you for your explanation and help.

It is difficult to order a plant without any picture or any idea how the flower looks like!
    I will ask you help when a start choose the new cuts.

PG - Obrigada pela ajuda (thanks for your help)!!!!

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Mitzicos,

De nada, meu prazer (you're welcome, my pleasure).

As we say here in English anytime (que dizer, qualquer tempo, nao importa quando).

Me descupla, fais 40+ anos que eu nao escrevo en Portuguese.

(excusing myself as it's been at least 40 yrs. since I've written in Portuguese)

• georgebento
    13 years ago

Someone knows this Hoya (I think it's Hoya). It still doesn't bloom but has a vigorous growing, very nice climbing, almost a plague.

Photos from leaves and stem:

http://no555gsb.multiply.com/photos/album/26/Hoya_#photo=1
    http://no555gsb.multiply.com/photos/album/26/Hoya_#photo=2
    http://no555gsb.multiply.com/photos/album/26/Hoya_#photo=3
    http://no555gsb.multiply.com/photos/album/26/Hoya_#photo=4

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya no ID

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

The presence of clinging tendrils means your plant is not a Hoya but I am not quite sure what it is. What country are you in and is this a native plant?

Mike

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I was thinking exactly the same thing Mike, Hoyas w/ tendrils?

• georgebento
    13 years ago

Hi MIke.... I'm in Brazil, Manaus city in midle of Amazonia. I found this plant in a store from here, it's a very nice climbing, it loves sun. I don't know if it's native from Amazonia. I'm waiting first blooming....

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

George when it blooms feel free to post a photo, I am wondering what your plant is.

Welcome to the forum.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Although it turned out to be a misnomer, I loved the name you gave it in the photos: "Hoya plague." ^_^

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, I don't understand the name he gave to the hoya, plague does not mean something bad?????? In portuguese praga means something that spreads all over...... is plague the samething in English?

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Yes, that's correct, mitzicos. In English plague can mean nuisance or ... so much of something that it's destructive... or a highly infectious disease.

I could be wrong, but I thought George named it Hoya plague because it grows so fast and vigorously that it could take over and become a nuisance.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

... on second thought... maybe he meant it according to the nicer Portuguese definition it just became an amusing joke when translated into English?

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GG,

I think he meant that it can grow so fast that can became a nuisance, but he is the only one who can tell what he meant!!!!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, Mitzicos!

This site has many nice pictures of Hoyas and Hoya relatives:

Rare Hoyas - Ted Green

Josh

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh,

Thank you very much for the excellent link you posted!
    As we say in Portuguese it gave me water in the mouth!!!!
    This expression may not make any sense in English but it means that I loved it!!!!!
    Thank you again

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

It is my great pleasure! ;)
    We do say the same in English....It made my mouth water! ;)

Josh

• georgebento
    13 years ago

Hi greedyghost, youôre right. In some groups of people who loves plants in Brasil we say bush/mato (something from poaceae family) and I replaced mato/bush by "plague". I call Hoya âÂÂplagueâ because it's a plant too vigorous, something that grows and spreads very. The word plague was chosen so exaggerated, but conveys the rapid growth of the plant.

:)!!!!

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design