Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trevor05

Hoya

trevor05
11 years ago

My first time posting here in this forum. Just want to share the one of the Hoya noid I have who recently just gave me 2 seedpods. Any tips? Many thanks. :)

Comments (14)

• trevor05
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This one's got 2 seedpods.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Nicely flowered plant, looks like Hoya bicolor.

The seed pods will mature and split along the seams to release the seeds. If there is a lot of air movement in your grow area then you will have to watch carefully or do what was suggested in the past by RFG and twist a plastic twist tie loosely around the seed pod so that it can not release the seeds once it splits. The seeds have a floss attached to help with wind dispersal and you can either leave this on or remove it. Place the seeds on you favourite Hoya potting mix and then very lightly cover with some vermiculate or more mix, light still needs to reach the seeds though so just a dusting of mix. The humidity needs to be very high so a covered container is best and as long as the humidity is constant then covering the seeds with more mix is not really needed. Be sure to give the seedlings bright light from the start or they will be leggy and harder to deal with later. The seeds loose viability fast so don't store them.

Good luck with your seeds.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya seed germination.

• emt23
    11 years ago

Welcome Trevor! Wow ten times over! Can you share how you grow this one and scent? I have two bicolor doing nada! Great growing success and thanks for sharing. ~ Mary

• trevor05
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike and Mary. :)

I keep my fingers crossed that I would be successful with growing this Hoya bicolor through the seeds as this would be my very first experience with seedpods. I have other hoyas, but this was the only one that developed seedpods, probably because of its fragrant smell.

The scent of this one is that of the lemongrass, very citrus-sy I would say. I grow this one together with the other Hoyas in pots with soil as medium. I water them everyday and fertilize them with osmocote.

Trevor :)

• stephanie_kay
    11 years ago

Your flower is beautiful, I have never seen one with a seed pod before.
    Trevor, what zone are you in?

• trevor05
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Stephanie Kay. ;)
    Actually, I am from the Philippines. The Hoyas I have seem to like the tropical climate we have here. :-)
    I will post some pictures of the other hoyas I have soon once the buds had opened. :-)

• geosdee
    11 years ago

Hello , just thought I would post a picture of my bicolor with seed pods on it. I have never seen that many at once. The moths sure were busy.

Thanks for looking,

Dee

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Wow Dee, that really IS impressive. Perhaps you'll consider sharing some seeds w/ us??

Hope to see more pix in future, good luck w/ the pods & their seeds.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

I second what PG has said, very impressive.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Dee that's great! Are you planning on germinating some of the seeds?

Mike

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

Gee, that's neat! I never saw seed pods on Hoya before.

• geosdee
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, unfortunately I was out of town on emergency and when I got back they had all popped open and were everywhere, boy was that a mess. So needless to say they were not viable. Hopefully next summer I get the moths like I did this year.

Dee

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey not so fast Dee,

If you can find a couple of the seeds (by seeing their fluff), why not try them? Sorry, if I'd thought you'd be away, I would have suggested a leg of panty hose over these to keep them collected when they burst open.

Oh well, better luck next time!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Wow, Trevor. I have to say that is a spectacular seedpod photo. I love seeing a series of them poking out at different angles. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

I also think it's great to have someone from the Philippines posting. You have some fantastic Hoya natives over there. It seems like every time I see "sp. Philippines" it's a bright red/orange bloom and a leaf with gorgeous veining. I know they're not all like that, but that's what I think when I think "Philippines + Hoya" - benguetensis types.

My bicolor hasn't bloomed yet, but I have described other Hoyas as having a lemongrassy smell. Kind of musty lemongrass. I like it.

@ Dee

(hehe. That photo of yours is still my computer background. I find it so exciting. :P)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz