Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

My ssp. carnosa / mekongensis...

haxuan
14 years ago

... is going to bloom again. Look at these buds.

Thanks for looking.

Xuan

Comments (20)

• Denise
    14 years ago

The buds are really gorgeous! I really like this one and have been waiting for mine to bloom. What is mekongensis? Has someone renamed it?

Denise in Omaha

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This plant was "tentatively" ID-ed as H. mekongensis by Apodagis. But I could not find a photo of the plant on the net to compare :-(

How long have you had yours? I hope it will bloom for you soon.

Xuan

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Ditto! love the buds!!!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

I also agree Xuan...those buds are just beautiful!!

• Denise
    14 years ago

Xuan,

I got mine as a cutting from the Hawaiian vendor in '06. At that time, she only referred to it as (tenatively)the "true carnosa", then later said she had found out it was carnosa ssp. carnosa. (Which, I guess, does mean it's the true carnosa...)

It certainly grows well, and I thought I saw a peduncle forming last year, but have been unable to find it so it either dropped or turned out to be new growth. Guess I'll go pull it down and take a close look at it now to see if I can find any signs of peduncles!

Denise in Omaha

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Love the 'freckles' on the buds! Sooo pretty!,,,Debbie

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

Interesting color buds, Xuan! I like 'em!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone.

This plant gives out the LARGEST blooms of all my hoyas. But the smell is not as nice as that of carnosar or pubicalyx.

The peduncle tend to have very long stem, Denise. So you can't miss it if you look.

Xuan

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

How exciting & different, thanks for showing us.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

This is may favorite of your Hoyas Xuan, so lovely. With the spotted buds you would think there would be colour in the flowers but then they are all white when they open. I sure wish this Hoya were more common.

Mike

• tishfromwis
    14 years ago

I was about to ask what the flowers look like, but Mikey answered the question. How cool is that! Really pretty buds Xuan!!!

Tish

• Diana_Gale
    10 years ago

I have this plant... has the name been determined for sure?

• Denise
    10 years ago

I still have mine tagged as carnosa ssp. carnosa. STILL hasn't bloomed, but I do have peduncels. Hopefully soon!

Denise in Omaha

• Diana_Gale
    10 years ago

Carol and several others named this sp. 'Salweenica' and I saw pics that match mine exactly. I've never seen mekongensis anywhere else but here!

• cpawl
    10 years ago

Diana Gale check out haxuans blog she shows a nice photo of her plant and you will be able to see the leaves.
    I am not sure what you mean Carol and others say this is salweenica. Your hoya or haxuans.

Here is a link that might be useful: haxuans blog

• mairzy_dotes
    10 years ago

I have a plant labeled salweeica also. Got it from Kartuz nursery. It has not bloomed in years either, so I don't know if its blooms would be speckled like that or not, but the leaves DO look just like that. That bloom does not look like any carnosa I have either.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize Xuan had such a beautiful blog! Thanks so much for providing the link, Cindy!

Just to be clear, Xuan is not saying that mekongensis = carnosa ssp. carnosa. Living where she does, her friends bring her many delightful NOIDS, which she has tentatively identified by respected sources. This particular plant is thought to be either mekongensis or carnosa ssp. carnosa. These two species are closely related.

What Diana is referring to is that there is a particular plant, that CN originally received labeled "sp. Salweenica," which resembles the published description of carnosa. (You can Google the story on cubits - I can't link it.) So, if you have a sp. Salweenica that looks like CN's plant (which she has posted pictures of here and there), then you know that at one point DL and CN mused that this plant looks like the type carnosa (aka carnosa ssp. carnosa).

As far as mekongensis goes... this is what I was able to find out:

H. mekongensis was collected in Tsékou (Haut Mékong) China in 1895, an area which I assume was near the Mekong river (Source) It was only published by MG Gilbert and PT Li in 1995. But as of 2011, is considered synonymous with H. yuennanensis (a plant collected in SW China and described at the beginning of the 20th century). (Source)

• cpawl
    10 years ago

I really like her blog.I like seeing her home and garden.I hope one day I will be lucky enough to visit her county.
    I was clear what xuan was saying but not Diana was saying.LOL

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

@ Cindy

:) Yeah, I knew you understood Xuan. That part was for the general public, who might be less familiar with her very interesting collection.

I totally agree that it's fascinating to see more of her lovely living space. I'd like to see Vietnam with my own eyes someday, too.

@ Cindy & all

As you pointed out, it seemed like there was some confusion about what plant(s) we are talking about. It's confusing because all the IDs are tentative, right?

I think its reasonably likely Diana and Mairzy's plants are descended from CN's "sp. Salweenica" plant, barring some label tomfoolery.

Now, how closely related that plant is to Xuan's plant is... is... up in the air. It's certainly unlikely they came from the same collection. Are all of them ssp. carnosa? Are none of them ssp. carnosa? lol idk. :)

• Diana_Gale
    10 years ago

:) I meant that mine was tagged... and the person I got it from probably got it from C. Noel. I can no longer recall her name!

In any case, it's one of my favorite Hoya.

Interesting info about mekongensis, thank you!

I will check out Xuan's blog for sure