Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohmybloomers

A little OT - perpetuation of species

ohmybloomers
11 years ago

I've started writing a book about a group of "hoyaphiles" for National Novel Writing Month (maybe some of you know about this? It's quite cool). Anyway, part of my premise involves the rumored existence of a descendent plant of one of Robert Brown's hoya discoveries in Australia in the early 1800s. In my story, this rumored plant goes by the name of H. brownii, but since it's never been proven to exist, it's never actually been published. So it's kinda like the Holy Grail of the hoya world.

Anyway, in my novel it really does exist and becomes the subject of a madcap hoya theft.

Questions:

(1) How possible is it that a plant from two hundred years ago could have been perpetuated in its original state and retain the same characteristics as the original?

(2) If it's possible, what would be the mechanism of perpetuation? Quarantine from other hoyas maybe, to prevent cross-breeding? Kept in a greenhouse by itself, with polliators like moths?

(3) Would "H. brownii" be a correct naming? I'm still confused about how hoyas end up as "-ii", "-ae", "-is", etc.

(4) How could the owner prove that it really was the elusive H. brownii?

Yes, I am turning into a crazy hoya geek. Thanks in advance for weighing in!

Comments (4)

Sponsored