Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

PG update...

Denise
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I heard from Karen (PG) - e-mailing from a local Staples store. She has no power or heat at her apartment, but she says she was prepared and is getting by ok. I hope all our east coast friends affected by Sandy are hanging tough. With the widespread destruction and being isolated by lack of power, it must be very frustrating, but I'm sure the power companies are working day and night to get them all back "on-line" again. Stay strong, guys!

Denise in Omaha

Comments (6)

• emt23
    11 years ago

Amen!

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Good to hear you are doing ok.The other day I was wondering how you were after the storm.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Folks,

Thx, Denise for posting this for me.

I'm really only online in the office, mostly still out of commission at home (6 stories up, walking w/ a cane & flashlight), no heat, light, phone, Internet, just running water (thank you G_d) & the stove, so I can improvise.

I'd commented elsewhere that the plants mostly seem pretty happy in the much colder apmt (except H. macrophylla Pot of Gold which I believe is dying). I only recently realized it's not the extra cold helping the plants, it's the extra humidity. When I get home at night, I put on several large pots of water to boil (for the heat) & then keep them simmering for a few hrs. before I go to bed. So it's the extra humidity perhaps that's perking the plants up so.

Last night's Northeaster socked us w/ a foot of snow on top of the all the Hurricane Sandy stuff. Supposedly my bldg. will be uninhabitable for WEEKS -- ack!!!

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts & good wishes & Denise for looking out for me.

A nice homecoming surprise was seeing that of the Hoya cuttings David sent me in end August, the most beautiful one, the green & white variegated Macrophylla (which started all this) has a new leaf & a brand new stem, so I think it's decided it's adjusted already -- yayyy new growth, woopiee.

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Hi Karen,

Muito bom saber que voce esta bem!
    Very nice to know that you're all right.

I thought about you when I heard about Sandy, but didn't know how to contact you.

Good observation about the humidity, maybe this is the reason my plants were not doing very well, we didn't have rain for more than 90 days, which is very unusual for Brazilian weather, as you probably know.

Good luck for you and for your plants!

Abracos e tchau!

Mitzi

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Tough going! Glad to hear most of your Hoyas are hanging in there. A few winters ago, when I was still in Minnesota, my furnace kept dying and dying and then dying again. I lost a lot of Gesneriads, but the Hoyas really hung in there. We're all rooting for yours (and you, too, of course).

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Thanks folks,

Obrigado Mitzi, ja estou cansada desta coisa enteira!!!

(Thanks Mitzi, I'm tired of this whole thing already.)

Most of my Hoyas are holding their own.

Thx folks, I'll check in here from time to time. I appreciate everyone's friendship, care & concern.

To any other Sandy survivors, hang in there, we can do this!!!

Sponsored