Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting?

Posted by abigail1280 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 10:03

Hi All,

So I've had a lot of luck rooting my muliflora. Both branches have roots on them. My question is, how long should I let the roots get? I decided to root them in water and how long should I wait before I put them in soil? Also, the one branch is getting ready to bloom .. should I wait until after it blooms or should I go ahead and put it in dirt now? I know I've read not to mess with them when they're blooming. The smaller branch's roots are about an inch long with one long one that's about 3". The bigger one, which is the one that is going to bloom, the roots are about 4" - 5" long.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting?

Water roots and air roots are comprised of different tissues.
Often, water roots will break when potted in soil, which means that cuttings
will be rooting twice. For this reason, I root in soil directly...or else pot rooted
cuttings in soil as soon as I see evidence of root primordia on the stems.

In other words, I'd pot them now. The sooner the better.

Josh

o
RE: Rooting?

I agree with Josh, rooting directly in a pot with your favorite growing mix is often the best method. Having said that we are talking about Hoya multiflora or javanica and I was unable to root cuttings of my plant easily until someone here mentioned water rooting it.
I have some cuttings of my plant at about the same stage as you describe, roots about 4-5" long. I am planning on potting those cuttings up this week. The roots look much sturdier than the were even a week or two ago so I am hoping that they make the transition smoothly. Keeping the newly potted cuttings warm and moist couldn't hurt either until they settle in.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here