Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

A Magic Wand Question

greedygh0st
13 years ago

This question occurred to me while I was framing the fire question and I thought I'd post it simultaneously so we didn't all get depressed.

If you could wave a magic wand and have an exact clone of a plant from another GardenWeb member's collection appear in your home (with their blessing, let's hope), which plant would you choose?

You can take more than 10 seconds to think about this one. I hope this question comes off as it was intended, as a game of sincere admiration for our fellow growers, not a game of thieves. :X

Comments (15)

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

I think it would have to be Pug's Pink Silver plant for me. I saw all those blooms and could only dream of having a plant like that bloom for me! My Pink Silver is larger than when I saw that picture, but no blooms out of my plant yet. Denise's fungii comes in at a close second (I think at one time she said one umbel had close to 70 buds!)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oooo good answers!!

I am having an impossible time narrowing this one down. So far my top candidates are:

dmichael's fungii or obovata

Denise's macrophylla green leaf

Pug's sigillatis

Haxuan's sp. flat stem or aff multiflora

mikedahm's caudata

...You'll notice that I didn't specify "Hoya" and if I thought I'd have any chance of keeping them alive, I just love Quinn's Pleurothallis ornata and Lepanthopsis astrophora 'Stalky' or Mike's Cycnoches warscewiczii or Stapelia leendertziae.

I didn't even go back and mine through old posts (except to figure out the names of the non-Hoyas I was remembering) and I'm afraid to start. I have vague memories of achingly resplendent plants from pretty much every southern grower on here.

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

GG, funny thing you mentioned dmichael's fungii, he sent me cuttings from it this summer. They had peduncles, but they fell off. I just repotted them (with another fungii cutting I got from someone else) into a terra cotta pot yesterday along with shepherdii, TigerDawn's grandmother's carnosa cutting she sent me and a few days ago I took cuttings off of my Red Buttons for my friend.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops! I meant dmichael's LAMBII. Funny me... I'm always mixing up those two! :) I'm craving lambii these days like it's an unscratchable itch....

I DO have a fungii. I can't remember where I got it from, though :X Let's just pretend it magically appeared in my living room, like in this question.

Oh yeah and let's not forget how I'm totally going to clone Mike's sp. Estrella waterfalls too. I don't know how that one slipped my mind.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Careful Brad,

Not sure I'd mix different kinds of Hoyas planted into the same pot, they can have different watering requirements from each other & that & MAY produce a problem, (MAY not also, but still).

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

PG, thanks for the heads up! What I meant was I bought terra cotta pots at Wal-Mart the other day and I planted those plants into them. I bought three four and a half inch (not six-inch like I told some people) and used the tiny

I forgot to mention I repotted motoskei too. It seemed to be suffering in the plastic pot I had it in. The soil stayed moist for too long and it started dropping leaves.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I would run straight for the nearest Hoya platycaulis, that and Hoya sp Lata Iskandar A.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Dischidia.com photos

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, Mike. It's like lasiantha and finlaysonii made sweet love with a rainbow and a baby kitten.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Yep that's grade A Hoya right there. LOL

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Now here's one that's almost impossible for me to answer!!!! I already grow them all!!!! Not really!!!! I don't recall the names of what hoyas belonged to whom but I did see a nice sigillatis that I wouldn't mind having,Dee has a nice yellow mindorensis that I would wave the wand at!!!

I have both the A & B clones of sp. Lata Iskandar and can't wait to see either of them bloom!!! The B clone seems to be a bit on the slow side getting started but A is doing fine. Neither have shown the nice red veins yet but I haven't stressed them yet either. Next year I plan to grow those two hard as Antone said and in as much full sun as they can take!!

• gennykins
    13 years ago

That wand is a waivering one and it floats from Denise's green mac to either Mike or dmichael's (can't remember who had it) or Joni's IML 1410. Love those big leaves!

Lisa

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ah, David. The man who has nothing to wish for. My heart goes out to you. ;) Perhaps you can just point your wand at a remote part southeast Asia and see what you get.

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

I'd totally LOVE to have a magic wand to wave at some of those Asian collections or at Iris Marie's. Either would do for me!!!

• geosdee
    13 years ago

I think the one I really, really want is the one David has of sp. Kalimantan-IML 1168. I just love those leaves, I wouldn't really care if it bloomed.

Dee

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Someone who posts frequently has a beautiful Adenium that I love. Denise... maybe.

It would not be as beautiful for me based on the growing conditions here vs FL.

I've also seen a lot of Hoyas posted and there is too many to name that I would like.

Obscura, Lambii, Mindorensis(any variety), Sigillatis, and Caudata in particular.

-David

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks