Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abigail1280

Questions about my Hoyas

abigail1280
13 years ago

Hey Everyone! I have a few questions about my hoyas. I had posted about my multiflora on a different post, questions about putting it in soil (I had rooted the two cuttings in water with much success). Both are planted now, and doing well. The smaller of the two was cut at both top and bottom and has some new growth about 2" long, with 2 new leaves that are about 2 1/2" long.

This is the larger of the two:

How long does it take before they will open? This is my first blooming hoya, and I'm just really excited that I'm actually going to see it bloom.

My other question is, I have a Hoya Carnosa Krimson Queen with a branch that is about 18" long. Does it need to be clipped to a trellis? Or will it be fine just hanging down?

Comments (17)

• teisa
    13 years ago

Hi Kimberly! Great looking Hoya. I do not grow this particular one so others will have to tell you about the care. But it looks really healthy and congrats on the blooms! I've read once it starts to bloom it should pretty much continuously. And for the Carnosa Queen. Sure you can put it on a trellis or I've seen some really neat ones at our Lowes that had it in the black baskets and wrapped the trailers all the way up the basket hanger. They were not from EA but Costa Farms I think. Thanks for sharing!

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Teisa, I know which hoyas you're talking about at Lowes. I was actually looking at them yesterday. However, my hoya isn't quite the same as those. The branches of mine are more tree like. Sorta like my chelsea. I do have it in a hanging basket right now, though it's not actually hanging anywhere. It's currently sitting on a small table. Mine isn't as full as those ones, though I still think it's fairly young. I'll have to take a picture of it when I get back this morning and then I'll post it on here.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I guess I'm pretty careless because it seems like multiflora is just always BAM! in bloom. I have no idea how long the progression from bud to bloom is.

I've been thinking about how I want to grow my Krimson Queen, too, and I think I'm going to leave this one hanging (though I grow most of my Hoyas on trellises). It grows kind of like my green carnosa, which has a lovely form when allowed to follow its own instincts. I like the way their vines look reaching out through midair.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Your Hoya multiflora will do best if grown moist, those blooms look like they might open any day. The bloom peduncles on this species only last for one or two sets of blooms and then the fall off. Giving this Hoya a dilute dose of fertilizer often will keep it growing and blooming almost constantly.

I grow my Hoya carnosa as a hanging plant but it can also be grown on a trellis equally well.

Mike

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So here is my Multiflora in bloom. It bloomed two days ago.

And this is my Carnosa:

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your blooms, Abigail! So, how long did it take from the buds starting to form to blooming? Did you get a count?

Someone has probably directed you to this image before, but just in case, see below for proper identification of your plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Multiflora vs Javanica Image

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Awesome blooms!
    They look like exotic, feathered arrowheads!

Josh

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Um I wanna say about 2 weeks. It wasn't too long. Ok, so what is the difference between multiflora and javanica? To me they look very similar.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

The distinction is in the corona lobes (the tips of the top portion of the bloom). Multiflora points in and javanica and aff. Crytoceras floribundum flare outward. Also, you can see in the photo that javanica is pubescent (fuzzy) where the corona meets the corolla. I can't tell whether your blooms have this characteristic or not.

I'm not sure whether the name aff. Crytoceras floribundum is still in use or not. Perhaps someone will weigh in. I think not, as these days people mostly talk about the distinction between multiflora and javanica (which are considered two distinct species). Your blooms lean more toward being javanica than multiflora.

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I believe they might be Javanica too. Interesting. I actually bought these cuttings off of ebay and they were listed as being multifloras. Not that I'm the least bit disappointed.

Here are a few more pictures I took of different angles:

Now I do have another question. As you can see from this cutting, there's not really a spot where it's been cut like the other cutting which has new growth. Is there a way to encourage new growth?

I just came across this list and the javanicas on the page do look really similar to mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: javanicas

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Abigail these Hoyas grow quite quickly but they are more shrubby vs the vining Hoyas most are familiar with. After your plant finishes flowering the bloom peduncle that holds the flowers will either flower again in the future or fall off the plant. New growth will begin and another set of leaves with another flower peduncle will form just in front of the last pair. This is a truly frequently flowering Hoya as long as you keep it warm and moist, it even blooms in the shade.

Check the flowers for fragrance during the day, often times they are fragrant in the early afternoon althogh it is not strong.

Mike

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, that's good to know. It had buds from the peduncles when I first got it, though they fell off before they got very big. Just small balls on the ends. So, I'm wondering how many times it had flowered before I got it. Right now it's in my kitchen window ... well not directly in the window but right next to it. So, it's getting some early morning sun. I'm kinda glad it's shrubby. Something different from all of the others. I haven't noticed a scent from it yet, but I'll check it this afternoon.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

It seems that most everyone buys their plant as multiflora and then figures out whether it is or not afterward, so you're in good company. This topic is always coming up, but I've never heard of anyone preferring multiflora over javanica or vice versa, the way people compare praetorii and lasiantha. I'd be interested to hear if anyone had both.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hello..I am fairly new here and learning quite a bit..

I just have a couple of ?'s..

How come a cutting like this can bloom like that, but 90% of cutting we start can take years to bring to bloom?
    Is this species one that flowers even from cuttings?

Thank you so much

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Meyer- Yes, this is a species that flowers often and frequently from a young age. There are other Hoyas that are early bloomers. For example, heuschkeliana bloomed even faster and more frequently than multiflora, for me.

A separate issue is that a lot of Hoyas will bloom even as cuttings if you are lucky enough to get them with the peduncle already formed on them. It's pretty common for them to bloom even while they're still rooting. Like this picture of paziae in my rooting aquarium shortly after I received it.

• abigail1280
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bought this cutting off of ebay and it was removed from a well established plant right before shipping. I was lucky enough that they sent me a cutting with a peduncle already on it. My other cutting is smaller, with no peduncle, but it already has new growth. Two new leaves that are just about the same size as the older, more established leaves and some other smaller leaves. I do have other larger hoyas that have never bloomed yet.

Honestly, sometimes I think someone should just start a basic hoya Q & A thread. I do get on here and read quite a bit to learn, but sometimes I just think of random questions to ask and don't want to start a new thread for my little question.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I wouldn't worry about starting threads for small questions. It keeps the forum lively. You'd be surprised what will get people talking and you can never tell what the topic will pull out of people's heads. I felt pretty lame starting a thread about the tired "my plant is dropping leaves" issue, but the responses all turned out to be quite fascinating.

Besides, if there was a sticky Q&A thread, it would take so. long. to scroll through ^_~

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH
More Discussions