Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Hoya imperialis...

puglvr1
13 years ago

Hello everyone, I wanted to share some pictures of my Hoya imperialis very first blooms...I've been waiting for this to bloom since I first discovered its first peduncle appx. 10 weeks ago...its been a very long wait, but now that's its finally opened, its SO worth it! Thanks for sharing it with me!

{{gwi:993551}}

{{gwi:993553}}

{{gwi:993554}}

Thanks for looking!

Comments (29)

• lightning96
    13 years ago

WOW! Those blooms are amazing!

• jlt37869
    13 years ago

So worth the wait ,,, really beautiful. The 3rd shot is great ,,, it looks like the bees are eagerly waiting for the bloom to open too!! :)

Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Congrats, Pug!

Imperialis is on my wish list (which translates as "I don't have the room for it but I would like to grow it someday") and I read it takes awhile for the buds to open. Right now, my only large flowering hoya, onychoides, is a three leaf cutting. Where did you get your plant and how long have you had it? They say the flowers have a gardenia like scent!

A BIG thanks for sharing!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Love those massive, waxy, chubby salmon flowers!

Thanks, Nancy!

Josh

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Great photos, it's nice to see the progression from buds to blooms.

Can you tell us just how big your plant is? I got this one when I got my Hoya praetorii and it's about two feet tall right now. I potted it up to a larger pot because it was drying out on me and it dropped a few leaves but now it's happy again. This is definitely one of those Hoyas that demands it's space.

Thanks for sharing Pug and congratulations, well worth the wait for this one!

Mike

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Pug so beautiful.I'm growing this one also and its full of pediuncles.I sure wish it would flower so I could finely see those big flowers.
    Congratulations on the blooming this hoya.

Cindy

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Congrats Pug, that's really stunning. Yes, Florida & careful growing ... sigh ...

Really amazing, thanks for the picture show & Enjoy!

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Just beautiful! Those flowers are HUGE!

Kelly

• rennfl
    13 years ago

They are just beautiful.

I have two of these that I received as free seedlings and am also wondering how big yours is now that it has bloomed.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much everyone...I appreciate it. I was very happy to share the pictures with you guys...

Brad,I did not detect any scent yesterday at all...but this morning when I opened the sliding glass door, I got a very nice scent, definitely pleasant (floral) but does not smell like gardenia to me. I can't put my finger on it. Very lovely sweet smell though, not overpowering.

I received this on a trade from a very sweet and generous friend as a 3 leaf cutting two years ago this month. Fortunately, its grown well for me.

Jennifer, it's been going outside during the day and brought inside at night(nights have been in the 50's)...so we'll see if the bees show up? I kept it inside all day yesterday to enjoy the blooms. Its back outside this morning.

Mike, my plant is appx. 3ft tall from the floor. I know what you're saying...I need to repot this one again as soon as the blooms are done. I'm watering it every other day now, it is quite root bound and very top heavy. I just repotted it to a bigger pot 5 months ago(end of June).

Cindy, good luck with your peduncles...I'm sure it will flower soon.

Thanks again everyone!

One more bud opened this morning...three more to go. There's another peduncle with buds...I counted 6 peduncles total, most teeny tiny.

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Congrats, Pug. The blooms look great.

Would you share how you grow yours, Pug. How big is your plant and how big is its pot? How often do you water yours? etc.

Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

• binlin
    13 years ago

Amazing, your imperialis looks great.
    Mine finally put out 2 new pairs of leaves after sulking for 6 months after rooting, but hasn't grown any new vines and only has about 1cm of internode between leaves.
    What are your daytime temperatures like? I'm not sure if mine is too warm under my lights.

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

WOW that is just a stunning plant Pug.... The flowers are absolutely gorgeous and HUGE! Very Beautiful... thanks for sharing !

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Wow! I just love all the pictures! I'm especially grateful you decided to give us a full length portrait of our star. I was so excited when I opened this thread and there was more to see.

It's funny, somehow I feel like I just attended a baby shower...

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

OMG- you just received the cuttings 2 years ago?!?! Way to grow! Mine is sssllllooooowwwwww......

Kelly

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again everyone!!

Kelly, I just checked my records, I got this cutting Nov.8, 2008, I can't believe it either. I've been SO lucky its grown so well for me! I have several that I wish can take lessons from this one.

Xuan...you and I were posting at the same time,lol...I do grow this one outside during the day with 3-4 hours of direct morning sun and full shade in the afternoon. I bring it inside when temps go below 60ð. My pot is an 8" azalea clay pot...but it needs to go up a size as soon as its done blooming. Its drying out way too fast. I fertilize this plant once a week at 1/2 strength with Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro fertilizer. I do not use a bloom booster as I found out the very high number in the middle is not very good for the plants used on a regrlar basis...over kill with the very high phosphorus.

Rennet, I'm still in the upper 70's to low 80's during the day...we're suppose to be in the 70's for the next 10 days...but the nights are expected to be in the 50's, so it has to come back inside at night.I'm sure yours will start to take off now, it was probably working on roots. Once it gets established it takes off pretty quickly.

Greedy Ghost, lol...I think that's funny! "attending a shower". I just love your witty comments :o) Thanks!

Thanks again for the kind words everyone...truly appreciate it!

Will post more pics when they all open.

But, one more, this time with Max...my buddy and Hoya Model,lol...Taken a couple of weeks ago.
    {{gwi:993559}}

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Max is so good when it comes to photos. I wish my little guy would slow down enough to get a cute photo like that.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Wow, what a huge plant! I would love to try growing one of those someday. Yours looks so happy.

I love the way Max is sitting, ha. I never thought I'd be a pug fan... until I met one. Pretty much every pug I've ever met has been a little endearing bundle of wriggly, snorty happiness. A lot of personality in a little package, for sure.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

There's my buddy Max! Tell him there's still a spot on my couch for him!

Kelly

P.S. Looks like I'll be switching fertilizers! Do you buy yours locally our online?

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

What a beautiful flower(MAX) imperialis is also beautiful!
    My imperialis were doing great until last winter. It got too cold, it's just starting to grow again.

Jan

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike, Kelly, Jan and Quinn!

Mike, he does seem to enjoy posing for the camera :o)

Quinn, they truly are great dogs...wonderful and sweet dispositions...a face only a mother can love,lol...

Kelly, I have to buy mine on line...but I've heard some hydrophonic stores carries them or maybe they can order it for you. Unfortunately my small town doesn't have one. I love this fertilzer, its complete and has the micros too, and best of all its very economical for me because I only use 1/2 tsp. per one gallon of water...so a quart last me a long time. I'll let Max know he has a spot reserved for him,lol...

Jan, good luck with yours. I lost a few plants from last winter too...hopefully, our winter will be much milder this year. I bet yours will bloom when it recovers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyna-Gro 9-3-6

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Thanks, Nancy, for the tips with Imperalis. I have two of them so I need all the care tips to make them happy.

Max is a cutie.

Xuan

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're welcome Xuan, and good luck with yours...I'm sure with your great growing techniques it will be blooming soon.

All of them are opened now...I'll see how long they last.

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

I dont know - if you look at Max really close its almost like he is saying - You've got to be kidding - ANOTHER photo - lol.... hes very cute!
    And Wow look at the size of those flowers in comparison to your hands - unbelievable! And Beautiful!

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Beautiful flowers and really cute dog!!!!!
    Congrats your imperial is really IMPERIAL!!!!!
    I have one, but only has 2 leaves, it came from Thailand and I think is getting used with Brazilian climate!!!!!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Golden and Mitzi!!

Golden, I think Max only poses for me because I give him "treats" after picture taking,lol..."Will pose for FOOD", that's Max's motto!

Mitzi, good luck with you Imperialis...I'm sure it will love your Brazilian climate!

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Hey Nancy do you know what 'variety' your imperialis is. It really is beautiful.

Dee

• marleneann
    13 years ago

Very nice!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Dee and Marlene!!

Dee, I have no idea what variety it is...it didn't come with a label when I got it, just knew it as Imperialis. But, I have done a few googling and it sort of looks like the one pictured on Ted Green's website called 'var. Mary's Pink'...but I'm not sure??

Sponsored