Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackwillow87

Hoya Question

blackwillow87
11 years ago

Hi, I had a question about hoyas. I bought a Krimson Queen hoya last October, and it has grown well this year, producing 2-3 foot vines. I have more confidence growing hoyas now and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about hoyas that grow fast and are easy to take care of? Thanks

Comments (10)

• Denise
    11 years ago

Most of the Exotic Angel Hoyas you can get at the big box stores are easy to grow. Fast growers for me include australis ssp. tenuipes, the pubicalyx cultivars, fungii, bhutanica, kerrii grows in nice spurts... I'm sure others will be able to name more.

Denise in Omaha

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Denise. I have seen Chelsea, Krimson Princess, and Wayetii at Lowes and Home Depot.

• ohmybloomers
    11 years ago

Hi blackwillow,

I'm fairly new to hoyas, and I'd agree with Denise that any publicalyx is pretty easy for a beginner, and they grow fast.

I got a Chelsea a couple months ago and that's been an easy one, too. You also can't go wrong with a KP (Krimson Princess). I don't have a H. wayettii (yet!) so can't speak to that one.

Welcome to the addictive world of hoyas!

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ohmybloomers. I haven't seen publicalyx but I will keep my eyes opened for that one. I really like both Chelsea and KP, so I may get those next year. I love the look of hoya flowers and I've heard so many good things about the flower scent so I definitely want to grow more. But I really don't need another addiction lol

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Hoya fitchii! Went gangbusters in the summer and is doing just fine inside for the winter. :) Can't beat those leaves, too.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks goddess9. I googled fitchii and I think its a very beautiful hoya. I'll add that one to the list of hoyas I want to get next year.

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum, blackwillow!

Also consider Hoya obovata, verticillata, cv. Mathilde, nummularoides, shepherdii, and heushkeliana for beginners. Everyone has listed wonderful selections for the beginner.
    Brad AKA Moonwolf

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Brad! I'll write those down too, I may have to look online for those.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I think the best thing to do is to grow a mix of different Hoya types. I would skip growing a bunch of Hoya carnosa cultivars because they are the same species, Hoya Chelsea, Krimson Princess, and Krimson Queen. Instead try a Hoya pubicalyx for something different because they have beautiful leaves and grow equally as well as Hoya carnosa.
    I think that a mix of different leaf types and plant habits would be most interesting. Brad mentioned Hoya obovata and that would be a great one to grow, with it's big round leaves. A pendant plant for a hanging basket or shelf is a must. There are so many smaller Hoyas that fit this description, plants like Hoya Mathilde, Hoya DS-70, Hoya heushkeliana, Hoya memoria, and any of the yet unnamed species, Hoya sp Haruku or something similar like Hoya inconspicua.

Mike

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Mike. I mainly brought up Krimson Princess and Chelsea, and Wayetii because those have been the only ones I've seen for sale. I will also write down the ones you mentioned.