Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantcrazed101

Imidacloprid Granules and Rose Bayer Spray for Mealybugs

plantcrazed101
9 years ago

I found a mealybug on my hoya, I don't have the BATS imidacloprid but I do have the Bayer rose spray and I have bonide imidacloprid granules...can I use just one of those or both instead of buying a big bottle of BATS? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• plantcrazed101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh and do sprays bother Hoyas?

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

I have never had a hoya bothered by sprays, but I will caution you to keep them away from sunlight following treatment until the treatment dries. And always follow directions on the container.
    I don't personally use BATS, as I tried it once on some compacta cuttings to deal with fungus gnats but it didn't seem to work, changing from potting mix/perlite to perlite/orchid bark/pebble stone did, though. Also, my hoyas spend summers outside and I don't want to contribute to the decline in bee/wasp/beneficial insect populations.
    I use 1 gallon of water, neem oil (following dilution directions on bottle), 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol and a few drops of dish soap (not antibacterial and not detergent...soap) mixed up and spray it on the affected plant once a week for 3 weeks and follow up once every other week for 2 months, making sure to cover every bit of the plant, top of the potting medium included. After spraying, it is VERY IMPORTANT to not allow the plant into sunlight until the solution completely dries.This usually resolves the issue.
    If that does not resolve the issue, I take out my big guns, which is my Safer 3 in 1 and spray the affected plant(s) with it, following directions.

• plantcrazed101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I keep my indoor and outdoor plants separate and stick with using pesticides indoors and not using them outdoors. So I'm not too concerned about bees indoors :)

I am concerned about this Hoya though. I don't want to have to throw it away but also don't want to go through several different treament options. Well I went ahead and added the granules, but not sure about the spray, if that's over kill.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

The granules should work (you have to water the hoya to activate the release), as they are systemic but you should at least spray the plant with a rubbing alcohol solution, to kill any mealies present right now, as it takes a couple of days for the systemic to reach all parts of the plant. Add a couple of tablespoons of rubbing alcohol to a spray bottle filled with water and then spray the plant all over. Leave it in shade until the solution dries and then return it to its normal location.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?