Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Something sorta smells like grapefruit

mdahms1979
13 years ago

I have been patiently waiting for blooms from my Hoya praetorii and after the first peduncle dropped without blooming I had though I might be in for a long wait. A new peduncle formed and soon after buds began to develop. This is a very thirsty Hoya and I lightly water my plant every couple of days so that the potting mix is always moist.

The buds matured and the blooms have been opening for the last two days, the last one opened last night. The flowers have a scent like grapefruit at night but it is not strong and does not seem to carry any distance from the plant.

I really should have took the time to set up the tripod because I would have gotten better photos. The bloom are said to last up to two weeks so I will try to get some more photos over the weekend.

Mike

Comments (16)

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Mike I love your hoya and your photos don't even look real.Next year I plan on getting this one.I have lasiantha trying to root.I have had it for about 2 weeks and the 2 leaves are still firm so I'm hoping its rooting.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Cindy. :)
    My Hoya lasiantha is branching from the base, forming a new pair of leaves and a peduncle right now as well but it will be months before there are any blooms. The plant is much smaller than my Hoya praetirii, especially the leaves. I rooted mine in the aquarium with a heat pad and it was not fussy at all so hopefully you have success with yours as well.

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Mike, those flowers look cool and the fragrance sounds pleasant! Where did you get it? I think this one will go on my wish list!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Mike
    I have mine in a fish tank with bottom heat so I hope to see it root.
    I have read on a few different sites that lasiantha is larger than praetirii in both the leaves and the flowers.You have both and say lasiantha is smaller.Did you get both from aleya?

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brad I love the scent of grapefruit but the blooms of this Hoya don't have a clean grapefruit scent instead it is a heavier scent but hard to fully describe.

Cindy I got both plants from Thailand along with my Hoya imperalis and globulifera. All four came from Plumerin and it was a perfect Hoya importing experience. I can try to take a comparison photo of praetorii and lasiantha tonight or on the weekend.

Mike

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi Mike
    It would be nice if you could take a couple photos to see the difference between them.

Cindy

• gennykins
    13 years ago

Mike,

Your last photo is stunning. Does this one require higher humidy to be happy?

Lisa

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

I LOVE it Mike...its just beautiful! I think its cool the way the buds drape down, what beautiful color as well. Thanks for the pictures and Congrats!

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I love the second to last photo. The leaves look great in that lighting, against the neutral background. So many of what we share with each other is macro photography that I really enjoy seeing a beautiful limb.

Thanks for sharing your description of the scent. Good wording; I find it interesting to imagine.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are some photos that show the leaves of these two plants.

Hoya praetorii's largest leaf, the smallest is just over 3" long.

An average leaf on Hoya lasiantha.

A new leaf on Hoya lasiantha is already as large as the older leaves so soon this plant will probably be as large as my Hoya praetorii.

Here is a direct comparison between the leaves, the do look similar don't they.

Mike

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Mike, Thanks for the photos of the 2.I wounder if your lasiantha once it gets growing will be bigger than your praetorii.Every hoya site states lasiantha is bigger of the 2.My little cutting looks like your photo of praetorii.I will have to wait to see flowers.I'm very happy to say that I see 2 new growth points on my cutting.I will be ordering praetorii next spring so I hope I do have lasiantha.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Beautiful praetorii, Mike!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kelly. :)

Cindy I bet you will see flowers before spring, these two seem like they could be frequent bloomers as long as they are grown warm and moist.

Mike

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike, I would love to know for sure what one I have.Then I can order the other:)

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa I forgot to respond to your question. I used to pay closer attention to the humidity in my plant room but these days I don't use the humidifier much. I have noticed that the humidity is very low now that winter is approaching, 20% is the low that I notice on my min/max thermometer/hygrometer. In the winter when I run the humidifier I try to keep the humidity up near 40% but too much can cause water to condense in the corners of some rooms and on the windows which causes issues with mold and mildew. I have fans running constantly to keep the air flow high but those fans are not blowing directly on the plants. I have not noticed any humidity related issues with my Hoyas but some of my mounted orchids would probably like higher humidity.

Pug and GG thanks for your comments!

Mike

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All of the blooms dropped off last night so I think that two week may be a bit high unless there are nice humid conditions.

Cindy the Hoya lasiantha leaves have grown quite a lot over the last week, already as big as the largest preatorii leaves and they are still growing.

Mike

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions