Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

A couple bloomers

mdahms1979
11 years ago

For the last two nights I have been hunting for the source of the incredible scent in my apartment once the lights go out. The scent is strong and reminds me of a Brassavola orchid, sweet and smoky like burnt sugar and vanilla. It took me two tries to find the plant in flower as I kept thinking it was one of the blooming orchids and then a Hoya that I almost missed. Well last night I found the source of the scent and was reminded just why I love Hoyas. Hoya buotii is blooming again with two big groups of flowers.

Hoya buotii

The other plant that was on bloom was the species sold as Hoya pachyclada red corona. The blooms were in good shape when I found them but by the time I got around to taking these photos most had already dropped. Procrastination doesn't pay!

Mike

Comments (29)

• tingtingeling
    11 years ago

Aww, those are so nice flowers :)
    ...love it every time someone posts pics here! Even more so this time of year.
    Keep`em coming

• emt23
    11 years ago

Very pretty!

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Mike, I am so green with hoya flower envy.My H.buotii grew peduncles last fall and then did not a thing.This fall all three peduncles started to bud up and they dried up and fell off.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindy I find that this one only blooms if I keep it moist and then give it a dose of fertilizer, bloom booster types work best. Without feeding this one often it just does not bloom for me. The peduncles are so short that they are easy to overlook with all the foliage so they can certainly surprise you.

Mike

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Maybe I will give a bit of a bloom booster fert.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

I went to give a feeding of bloom booster to my H.buotii(halcalnesis)Got it from Paul Shirley with this name.And I found one peduncle with buds forming.
    I hope they make it this time.

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Very nice flowers!

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Hey what happened to the photo that I tired to show.It was there when checked.Oh well here it is.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Beautiful photos as usual, Mike. I think Hoyas blooms are interesting to look at even as they die. That's why I took this photo of paulshirleyii debris.

Your description of the buotii scent is outstanding. As I've said before, my capacity for description falls a bit short in the scent and taste arenas. That's why I always end up describing beers as people. But smoky burnt sugar and vanilla. I don't know what to be more jealous of. The fact that you are smelling that, or the fact that you have so many options to choose from you couldn't tell where it was coming from. ;)

It does make me wonder, though, whether many of us use scented candles. It seems they'd become obsolete after a few years of growing.

• ohmybloomers
    11 years ago

I love the fuzzy-bloomed hoyas. It's hard not to want to pet them. I got a H. buotti cutting not long ago. So far it's doing very well. I'll look forward to some pettable corollas - maybe next year? Fingers crossed.

GG, maybe I'm crazy, but I enjoy photos of peduncles too! And the clump of detritus is interesting. Makes me want to wax philosophical...

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone who responded. :)

Cindy I sure hope those buds develop this time.

GG that scent was fooling me because I have six different Brassavola species and they all have that sweet smoky scent at night. I would have been just as happy to see one of them in bloom but the Hoya buotii flowers were a wonderful surprise. There are far more flowers than the last time it bloomed.
    Is it weird that those fallen blooms in your photo look like they belong on top of a spicy Thai salad? Lol

Ohmybloomers Hoya buotii is a crazy fast grower. Be sure to feed it well and it will perform. My plant covered a four foot bamboo trellis completely before it decided to flower but that was just a little over a year from a cutting.

Mike

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hoya praetorii is blooming today. I don't think I will ever get tired of these blooms.

I will be posting a couple more Hoyas in the next week or so.

Mike

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Very nice pictures Mike.

Excellent job

Mitzi

• dutchplant
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures Mike!

Hoya buotii is one I bought recently, it's just a small plant now, and yesterday when I was checking the Hoya's at dark with a flashlight- I think that it's the most easy way to look for bugs :-) - I discovered 2 mealybugs romantic pushed together -yeggg! And with a closer look I found more of them, so I give it a good spray with promanal, it's eco friendly, I don't like poison. I hope it's gonna recover, I am looking forward to see those beautiful flowers, at one day.

Ingrid

• restoner
    11 years ago

Mike - Those are fantastic pictures of Hoya buotii and such a vivid description of the scent. Can you shed any light on how much sun buotii likes? Thanks

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mitzi

Ingrid you are not alone! I find mealies on my plants as well and I have to always be on the lookout for them.

Thanks Restoner. I grow my Hoya buotii in bright light but without direct sun. I find it does best this way and is deeper green but still blooms. My plant is about three feet from a large and very bright south facing window. The other Hoyas shade it a little from the sun but it also gets light from a LED panel that is just above it. I don't think it's a picky Hoya as long as it gets fertilizer regularly and bright light. I would imagine it would do well with morning sun as well.

Mike

• txmom
    11 years ago

HOOKED again!
    I had a 30 year old plant (carnosa, I think) and several others....they all died due to bugs!
    Now, a colleague has given me two HUGE (2 foot long) cuttings of hindu rope (indian rope?) that I put in water and they are sprouting roots.
    Any advice is welcome...and crossed fingers.
    HOOKED again - in North Texas.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

The flowers are starting to open.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

The flowers are starting to open.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Not sure how I posted that photo 2 times.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Not sure how I posted that photo 2 times.

• restoner
    11 years ago

Mike - Thanks very much for the information about sunlight for buotii.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

I found the flowers open this morning.

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

@Cpawl,
    Great blooms! What is the 2-nd one? I love hoyas with either fluffy foliage or flowers!
    @mikedahms,
    As allways great hoyas and pictures! My personal favorite praetorii; looks like fake in it's perfection!

Aggie

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Cindy,

Very nice pictures!
    Very nice pictures!

LOL

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindy those are both beautiful. I really don't know why I don't own more of the campanulate flowered species. Are the flowers a good size?

TXmom I would suggest a search on the forum. If you go to the bottom of the main Hoya forum page there will be a search box, choose Search this Forum and then search for Hoya compacta or Hindu Rope. There will be quite a bit of info on that Hoya as it's a common one. Welcome to the forum/

Mike

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My Hoya lacunosa is blooming is blooming along with my Hoya aff. lacunosa Giant IML 1813. I think the term giant is well used in this case. The leaves are also much larger and tend to be more succulent but without the sunken areas that give Hoya lacunosa it's name.

Mike

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Mike lacunosa is still one of my favorites.My aff lacunosa grew its very first peduncle and is getting ready to bloom.

H.cystiantha flowers are not as big as I was thinking they might be.When I was at jj plant market in bangkok this summer the seller had a few more in the campanulate flowered species that had much bigger flowers but I cheaped out and got this one.I was a bit worried they might be taken at customs because I did have all my paper work in order this time.
    The flowers smell nice when you put your nose up close,a bit like lemon with lemon peel. Each flower is a bit smaller than a penny.

Mitico LOL

Aggie the name of the hoya is H.cauadata.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Procrastination has claimed a victim in Hoya kanyakumariana's blooms but I was able to get a few photos of Hoya davidcummingii.

Mike