Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Hoya polyneura

puglvr1
12 years ago

My Polyneura finally opened today!! Took this plant almost 3 1/2 years to bloom...Patience is not my best virtue lol...

Comments (25)

• marco
    12 years ago

Oh Pug !, how beautiful it looks ! Patience & Hoyas go hand in hand I am learning very quickly. Very nice blooms. Congrats !

poseidon

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

As usual, pug, beautiful buds/blooms and gorgeous plants. We've come to expect no less from you!!! How long have you been growing hoyas?
    Bev

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Wow what a beautiful plant, and flowers.

making me excited for mine to open now.

Renee

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Gosh Pug, how exciting, am happy dancing for you!!

The overall hanging plant looks pretty nice too.

• lalla62
    12 years ago

ciao pug!!!

very very beautiful flowers!!!!

i love this hoya , but i have not yet find it!!!

i am happy for you!!!

• suetran1
    12 years ago

Very cute, but it does take too much place for me, so I killed mine.

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Lovely lovely pug!... so lovely!...ahhhhh.... living in a warmer climate seems to make some sense! Eileen

• Denise
    12 years ago

Pug,

I hope you have continued success with blooming this one. Mine bloomed probably 18 months or so after I got it and hasn't bloomed since (probaby had it 5 years...) I restarted it at some point because it got SO large. I'm waiting for it to rebloom. I do love the leaves, though!

Denise in Omaha

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I wonder why some hoyas are so darned reluctant to bloom & others do so readily? Some refuse to bloom even when conditions are absolutly perfect. They just seem to live on year after year...very healthy but narry a bloom in sight. It is a puzzelment to me.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

That is an unusual color for that flower isn't it Pug? I thought they were more white than that. I like that color better. Let us know if it stays that way.

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Wow! Beautiful. The flowers remind me of a H. Kerrii I once owned that bloomed.

I have a pathetic, puny Polyneura that refuses to do anything but shrivel up when it's thirsty. I'm glad Autumn is coming so I can throw her outside so she can enjoy the cool temps!

TPie

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank You everyone!! Much appreciated!!

This hasn't been a carefree hoya for me, its had some issues especially in the first couple of years. It still gets yellow leaves quite often, I'm beginning to think its normal for this hoya.

I have several more peduncles in different stages, so hopefully a few more will open in the next few weeks.

Bev, I bought my very first Hoya(Carnosa Krimson Queen) from Lowe's in Feb. 2008...so I've only been growing Hoyas for almost 4 years. I discovered them by accident doing a search on GW and a Hoya popped up...and I thought what the heck is a "Hoya",lol...the rest is history!

Denise, I agree with Marcy. Who knows why Hoyas act the way they do when it comes to blooming,lol...I'm sure yours will bloom again soon. I recalled seeing your beautiful one a while back.

Pirate girl, I'll have to place this one in the garage when we get some frost. No room for that large basket in the house :o(...so I can totally relate to what Sue was saying about the size.

Marcy, during the early bud stage the color of the buds were yellow...then a few days later changed to pink as you can see from the first picture above.

Thanks again!!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Spectacular, Pug! I can't even begin to say how much more lush your plant looks than mine right now, but mine is showing a couple sets of buds now too. If it pulls them off, (and we've got a long ways to go) it will be the first time it has bloomed since I got it in 2009.

For the first couple years I had my polyneura, it was exuberant and carefree and I didn't understand what people were complaining about. But since I've moved, it has been acting stressed. I can't quite figure out what has changed. It definitely has slightly yellowing leaves all the time and never looks pretty. I wish I could do whatever I was doing before...

It's probably budding not because it's happy but because my apartment has been hitting some pretty cold temps lately. >_>

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it so well. I have a better understanding now of why some of mine won't bloom...although, I'll keep hoping.I have many hoyas that hasn't bloomed or looks even remotely close to thinking of blooming.

Thank you GG and Congrats on your buds!! You're much more ahead of the game than I am since you've only had yours for less than 2 years. Great job! This is definitely one of my fussier hoyas especially when it comes to yellowing leaves :o(

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Pug, mine finally opened too today. You forgot to mention the scent. It's like spicy maybe cinnamon/cardoman together. Loving it.

Renee

• Ament
    12 years ago

Such a beautiful bloom! I love it, thank you for sharing. =)

~Tina

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Renee...post your pictures here. I would love to see them. Mine didn't have much of a scent :o(...very weak, but happy to hear yours does.

Thanks Tina!

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Pug... just beautiful!... I must remember to be patient!... thanks for sharing that! Eileen

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Here's the pics from yesterday. One penduncle opened, and three more that are budding. I found the 4th one yesterday.

And some buds backlit by the sun.

And yes, I love the frangrance, it's not as strong as some, but it's defnitetly there.

Renee

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Just beautiful, pug. My polyneura is down to just one little stem. All the others just turned yellow and fell off. Don't know if this one stem will make it. I have no luck with this one. This is the second time. Maybe the third time it will live. I'll have to look for another one.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Mine does OK now that I put it in the back of the tree where it is darker shade and it doesn't get watered as often. I think that's one that doesn't like too much water and light. I almost threw one out once but instead just sat it on the back of the house & forgot it, & 2 weeks later it looked much better. Ha. So now I just don't water it as often. Plus it was much shadier and cooler there. However, mine has never bloomed so I am no expert on it either. Ha.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Cinnamon/Cardamom sounds lovely. Thanks for the description, Renee. Kind of a holiday fragrance. Love that shot of the speckled peduncles in the 3rd picture, too.

Well, as I catch up on old threads I see that RFG also recommended a dry period during warm weather, so a rough consensus seems to be forming. I definitely know mine dried out a lot this summer, because I changed it to my chunky mix and subsequently couldn't keep up with it. I was thinking that's what was causing the leaves to tinge yellow so often, though, since it stayed green when it remained moist. Of course, I think it was getting weaker light then, too...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Eileen, it is really hard to be patient isn't it,lol...

Eileen (FL) its not you...its a one of the fussy ones for me too.

Renee, GREAT pictures, thanks for posting them. I'm with GG, your scent smells very "holiday" like.

Marcy, mine did best also after I decided to put it under the trees, mostly shaded and doesn't get as wet when it rains, I'm betting yours is close to blooming.

Keep us posted on yours GG. Thanks for the update on Kelly, I hope she's okay.

• Ament
    12 years ago

I really love the last image of this Hoya. Absolutely gorgeous shot of this one. Thank you for sharing. =)

~Tina