Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lightning96

Do these hoyas like any direct sun? H. mindorensis, H aff paziae?

lightning96
13 years ago

If you have a H. mindorensis that has bloomed, does it get any sun? I have several hoyas in direct sunshine that are doing well, but I remember reading online that H. mindorensis is a shade grower in the wild, so I am keeping mine in the shade, but it's such a slow grower. Just wondering if it would do better in the sun.

Likewise for Hoya aff. paziae. Where is yours growing? Does it get any sun or does the sun burn its leaves? Any other hoyas that you have that really dislike full sun? what about Hoya motoskei? (I do know about lacunosa, that one I have in the shade)

Can we have a discussion about what hoyas you have that definitely dislike sun vs. hoyas that really love love love direct sunshine?

i'm looking forward to hearing what so many of you experienced growers have to say! thanks...

Comments (8)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Most Hoyas like bright light vs direct sun but there are others that grow and bloom best when grown in the sun. Many plants that have pubescent leaf surfaces are able to withstand direct sun, the hairs or trichomes on the leaves are an adaptation that helps absorb UV-B radiation and protect the leaf. The Eriostemma species are good examples of Hoyas with this adaptation.

I think it would be best to grow your plants in bright light but without direct mid day sun if they are grown outdoors. Having direct morning or late afternoon sun is a good compromise. Some Hoyas like Hoya kerrii or Hoya pachyclada can take quite a bit of sun. Your Hoya pazaie would be best in bright light but it's thin leaves would burn in direct sun. I you aim for a medium/light green leaf colour you will find your plants bloom better than if they are in shadier conditions where they have dark green foliage.

Are you growing indoors on a windowsill, a greenhouse or outside?

Mike

• gennykins
    13 years ago

I'm not sure where you're located, but I'm in Minnesota in the land of tepid sunshine. I've got my hoyas growing directly in front of southeast and southwest windows and I have had no leaf damage.

Lisa

• lightning96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am in Minnesota. Some of my hoyas are growing in a south-facing window, others are in an east-facing window that gets some morning sun between 8am-11am.

Despite the cold outside, in winter the sunshine here is very bright in the south-facing windows between about 9am-3pm, especially when there is snow on the ground that reflects the sunlight, everything is very bright.

H aff. paziae's leaves are very thin so I do wonder if too much sun, even in MN, would cause damage.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Am I just homesick, or are there a lot of Minnesotans here lately?

I grow my paziae in a bright unobstructed east facing window and it grows like a weed with a good color in the leaves. It has bloomed for me, but that was in the rooting tank, so I can't say yet how it will do in this location. It certainly seems happy, though. I did have it right up against the glass at a different eastern window and the tips of the leaves burnt a little.

Mindorensis is in the same location and grows like a slug, but I haven't had it for long.

Mike, that's such a cool fact about the pubescence, and another good Hoya heuristic. I'm always fascinated by how two plants can have leaves that look characteristically similar but one will burn and the other will thrive.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Lightning96 do you have Hoyas you are trying to place in a window or are you looking for more sun loving plants? If you give up a list of your Hoyas we can help you if you are trying to arrange them according to their light needs.

GG there are some pubescent Hoyas that are unable to take direct sun, it really depends on the type of hairs and how densly they cover the leaf surface. If you look at alpine plants many have a thick covering of hairs to protect them from the harsh conditions they endure. The Hawaiin silversword plant is a great example of a plant with simiar adaptations but it's hairy leaves also allow the plant to live in cold temperatures. Plants are just so cool. :)

Mike

• gennykins
    13 years ago

Lightning,

Where are you? Any good hoya buying places in your neck of the woods?

Lisa

• paul_
    13 years ago

Mindorensis is a slow grower for me as well and I do grow it in an unobstructed SW window most of the year.

Motoseki grows like a weed in the same location

• lightning96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I am trying to place my hoyas in the most advantageous spots, especially during the winter. I am always curious to know which hoyas like sun v. shade. My hoyas include:

H. motoskei
    H. mindorensis
    H. heushkeliana
    H. cv 'Mathilde'
    H. nicholsoniae
    H. obovata
    H. pottsii
    H. pubicalyx 'red buttons'
    H. aff paziae
    H. obovata x. carnosa
    H. fungii (already growing like a weed in the east window!)
    H. australis ssp. australis (i think that's the ssp. australis. It also has lots of new growth in the south window currently)
    H. diptera (hanging in the east window & growing like a weed)
    H. lacunosa (thriving in a north window over the kitchen sink)
    H. carnosa 'variegated' (growing in another north window)
    H. affinis (one of my first hoyas, when I knew very little about them ... otherwise I might not have bought it since now I know it loves heat! However, it is growing in full sun in the south window & is growing new leaves!)

i'm trying to think if i'm forgetting any hoyas. i have a wish list of new hoyas but unfortunately it's winter, i have to restrain myself for a few months!

lisa, no there are no hoya places around here that i know of. mike, your posts are so informative! i'm learning so much on this forum.

beth aka lightning

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions