Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitzicos

Megalaster/lisiantha/campanulata

mitzicos
13 years ago

I'm already considering to buy new cuts and my dream right now is megalaster, lisiantha and campanulata.

I quote with Joni and PS but they don't have these now.

Besides Aleya, does anyone knows where I can find it (necessary a place that ships to Brazil), and is there any consideration that I should be aware about these species? The climate here is tropical and I'll grow it indoors.... at least for the first year.

Comments (27)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

These are all considered rare species in the trade so they are not easy to get. These are not particularly difficult to grow if you can get them, that's the hard part.
    Hoya lasiantha does not like to dry out and needs more fertilizer than many other species. Hoya megalaster is an easy grower with large beautiful leaves. I don't grow Hoya campanulata so no first hand experience with that one.

Mike

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The only place where I found those is Aleya, but everyone says that the cuts arrive in bad conditions, considering that it takes at least 3 weeks I'm worried to order. I ordered megalaster from Plumerin and arrived dead! I still keeping it potted and taking care hoping that a miracle can happen! I had already an experience that after two months thinking that the plant was dead some leaves appear and it is growing.....

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Hoya megalaster has a very thin delicate stem compared to the leaves so it may not travel well but my cutting came from Aleya's Garden a year or so ago and it was in good condition. Because you have to order regular mail and take your chances it is going the be difficult for you to get cuttings of any of the thin leaved species.
    Hoya lasiantha has thin leaves and it would not do well in the mail for three weeks. I might be best for you to choose Hoyas with thick succulent or leathery leaves because they travel much better. Hoya campanulata also has thin leaves and it may drop them if it's in the mail for a long time.

Mike

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike,

I don't know hoyas very well, what would you suggest me to order from Aleya? I really thought that megalaster was a thick one.
    Would you mind to suggest some good species thick ones?

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with...

ariadna, dasyantha, diversifolia, erythrostemma, globulosa, graveolens (mayyybe a little risky. Some say it's a thirsty one, but it's never been funny with me), heuschkeliana, nummulariodes, parasitica Lao, patella, and ruthie.

These have all grown easily for me and none are thin-leaved. I especially love the parasitica and am thus very curious about Aleya's parasitica x pachyclada. I'll have to order that one next time. I bet it's quite succulent.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Hoya megalaster might be fine in the mail it's really taking a chance with many due to the length of time they will be in the mail. Hoya verticillata, parasitica, meliflua, diversifolia, finlaysonii are all tough plants that will do well in the mail. The ones GG mentioned are great to, Hoya graveolens is a tough one for sure.

Mike

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,

Hoya megalaster is one that I really want, I bought from Thailand but arrived dead! If I new the techniques to break the dormency I would be more luck! But the seller should put the plant in dormancy first!!
    Melifua, parasitica lao, diversifolia, erythrostemma, I already ordered. But I'll put the others on my wish list!!!!
    I heard from Aleya that Campanulata probably won't make the long trip. I'll keep my eyes on GG ones.
    Thank you so much for all the help and attention given for all of you guys.

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yesterday I received new cuts, but unfortunately lisiantha did not survive. It is too hot here, and it took 28 days to arrive, too much time, I really think if the weather was not so hot, they should have a better chance.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

It's also that the leaves are very large and thin so they loose moisture very fast compared to the thick waxy leaves of other Hoyas. Many of these thin leaved plants tend to grow in places where they don't experience drought so they just don't do well in the mail for so long. When it is hot the plants dry out even faster.

Mike

• Denise
    13 years ago

I have megalaster which I've decided to put in my sunroom as opposed to my GH. It's one with very delicate leaves to start out with and I find that even the slightest disturbance of the emerging leaves will at worst make them drop and at best, they "bruise" and then form imperfectly. Since I'm constantly "reaching through" plants to water others, I think it keeps it from its potential. But it's definitely a beauty!

I see that Ted Green in Hawaii has it. (I got mine from David Liddle in 2009...) I'll put a link to Ted's list at the bottom.

Denise in Omaha

Here is a link that might be useful: Ted Green's Hoyas

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Denise,

Thanks for your help. I ordered again from Aleya, and it is almost arriving in Brazil, probably tomorrow will be home.

As I bought together with other people, it is going to Sonia's house in Rio de Janeiro, so I'll have to wait a little bit more to have it, but as far as it comes alive I'll be happy.

I'm planning to visit US this year, I'll be in California, San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles and Burbank, does anyone knows a nice hoya seller around that place???

Thank you very much

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No one???

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After 15 days travelling, very hot weather and an envelope with plastic bubbles, the result

Very, very sad.....

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the third time I order megalaster and once more I'm not luck

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Mitzicos,I'm sorry that your cuttings arrived dead.Its so upsetting to open your package to find them looking this way.15 days really is not that long to have cuttings in the mail.Last year I had cuttings arrive looking that way.I was very upset.Every one accepts that some will not make the trip but when all of them are dead,Its such a waste.By the way its not that warm where I live so not sure why some cuttings come looking like they have been cooked.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

So sorry for your Hoya tragedy! That just breaks my heart.

And then I glanced over my shoulder out the window and saw snow falling and that broke my heart a little bit more.

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Mitzicos...some of those cuttings are still good...remove the leaves and pot them up...or place into a dark glass with water. I've rooted several hoyas with no leaves...and they sent up leaves while still in water...then I moved them to a pot and placed into a ziplock bag...the green vines are still viable, so please don't toss them!! If you try to root them in water, please try to refresh the water every other day to prevent bacteria from growing, or cover the glass with aluminum foil, poke a small hole into the foil and place the cutting into the water. Best wishes, fondly, Patrick

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Patrick,

Thank you so much for your advice! I'll try to do anything to save the green one, I think everyone knows how dissapointing is to see this desaster, but I don't give up, I'll still trying.

Thank you once again

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm very glad because the seller will replace the damages cuts!
    It is very good to deal with honest people, I have suggested him to ship with expanded-polystyrene, in my experience plastic + heat = desaster.

The best cuts I ever received were always envolved with expanded-polystyrene, which keeps the temperature, avoid overheat and prevent to moist.

• gennykins
    13 years ago

Mitzi,

Congratulations! It is great to know that Aleya is working with you - I may have to place my own order with them in a couple of months. Please keep us posted on the replacement order.

Lisa

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa,

LOL, I did not mention Aleya!!!!!
    But I buy from them and received as great cuts as possible during such a long jorney. I'm pleased to buy cuts from Aleya and Joni also.

It is very difficult for us because the trip takes no less than 3 weeks, and when the cuts are small or thin steam they don't survive.

I received 3 weeks ago cuts from Aleya that took 28 days to arrive, 4 are alive and 2 did not make due to the long time in mail.

• gennykins
    13 years ago

Mitzi,

Sorry about my confusion! I saw Aleya referenced on your 2/23 posting and Aleya stuck on my brain.

Lisa

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone help me?

I ordered megalaster 4 times, once rooted one, and once double cut, a cut with bigger size than normal.

They all died, is there any secret with megalaster? Is it a difficult hoya to root? Is there anything I can do to be sucessful with this hoya? I'm ordering again!

Thanks

Mitzi

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

I received a rooted megalaster from Joni and it doesn't seem to be a difficult plant but it really hasn't grown, it just sits there. Have you tried an aquarium with a heat pad and florescent light? I just put one together and everything seems to perk up in there.

Have you ever ordered from greenthumb3000 on ebay? I ordered a sigillatis from him and it arrived here in 7 days but the shipping is expensive.

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

theplanthoarder 6,

Never order from this seller.

But the problem is not the seller, I received really nice cuts from Aleya Garden, they arrived gorjeous, the problem is here.

Pascal sent me beautiful double cuts, when I saw I was so happy, and I thought this time they will make, after few days the leaves starting getting yellow and the rest everyone knows.

I never had any problem with Aleya Garden and I still buying with him, but we all know that plants can die. I just thought that maybe megalaster needs special care.

When I buy plants from overseas I always expect that they may arrive dead, but it is not the case, they arrived very health!

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Mitzi I think it's just that Hoya megalaster has a thin stem so it can dry out in the mail. The leaves are pretty tough but the stem not so much.

Mike

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike,

But they arrived perfectly! In a very good shape, and the ones I received had a very good stem also.

Maybe they don't like Brazilian air!!!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions