Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lightning96

Is Hoya cumingiana difficult to root?

lightning96
13 years ago

I am trying to save my Hoya cumingiana, but I am very nervous about trying to root a cutting. It seems that many of you find it very easy to do, but I find it intimidating! Have any of you successfully rooted H. cumingiana? Is it a difficult undertaking? Any tips or suggestions for me?

btw, i also tried to upload a pic of my setup, but had trouble attaching an image, any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Hey there,

I have rooted several of these cuttings with no problem. I put it in a "chunky" mix like orchid bark. It rooted in semi shade light but not bright. I grow mine outside until now, have just brought them all in the house and they are under lights and doing fine.

Dee

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Just as Dee mentioned, I root in a mix that is mostly Orchid Bark.

I would never use a bagged potting soil, or any soil with a large amount of Peat moss.

Josh

• binlin
    13 years ago

If it's anything like H. densifolia, I've had pinched tips root simply from being shoved into moist potting medium (coconut chunks, bark & perlite).

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I agree that this Hoya is not difficult to root and I have also simply stuck cuttings in with the main plant and had them root no problem. If you are worried you can use the ziplock bag or aquarium rooting method, any high humidity environment and bright light helps speed up rooting. Check garden centers for seedling flats with high dome tops, not expensive and they work very well for rooting.

Mike

• lightning96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I have taken your suggestions to heart and have also put the cutting into an aquarium-type container to try to increase humidity. Hopefully we'll see new growth within a few weeks. How long before you know for sure that a cutting won't make it?

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Lightning, you can hold out hope until they are dry twigs. I've had cuttings that spent a whole season in my aquarium, unchanging, before suddenly sprouting a vine or biting the dust.

By and large Hoyas are fighters, so don't stress. Some take longer than others and some freak out more than others. You'll see: it's something you learn best by doing. Good luck. :)

• paul_
    13 years ago

I too found it VERY easy to root -- and I did just use regular potting mix. It is still growing quite well. Now if I could only figure out how to get the silly thing to bloom..............

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Paul this Hoya needs very bright light to bloom. I have only bloomed mine when it was right up against the glass in an unshaded south facing window. If your plant is getting enough light the leaves will be close together along the stem and there can be a red edge to the leaf as well. The photo in the link shows a plant that has been grown in proper light, notice how it's compact and not elongated and vining. This is a Hoya that needs to be trimmed to keep it neat looking but each time you take a cutting you can pot it with the main plant and that way there will be more blooms. The scent is very powerful and to me it smells like slightly sour crushed citrus rind.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya cummingiana

• paul_
    13 years ago

Thanks, Mike! Mine did have some very compact growth though it lost its "prime spot" to plants that were actually performing. I did notice the increased length of the leaf internodes. Presently it is "vacationing" in a coworker's classroom. Haven't checked on it in a while .............

Sponsored