Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Wish List

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been working on my hoya wish list and here's what I have down so far.

odorata/cembra

pubicalyx 'White Dragon'

pubicalyx 'Black Dragon'

cv. Sunrise

cv. Iris Marie

obovata x carnosa

nummulariodes

subcalva

Mom just sent away for a new plant to add to my ever growing collection. It is a sweet olive plant (Osmanthus fragrans)! I heard this plant has a very pleasant scent and it flowers during the fall and winter, which will be greatly appreciated on the gloomy days of winter. I hope it comes soon as there's a chance of flurries Friday and Saturday!

So, what's on your wish list?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (11)

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

My wish list is to have all the hoyas available in the world!!!!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

For once I don't really have much of a wish list, could be all the new Hoyas I got this year. For now I think the Hoyas that I want the most are probably Hoya obtusifolia, Hoya pandurata, Hoya campanulata and Hoya chlorantha. I also want to get a few more Dischidia sp, especially the imbricate species. I guess I could get a replacement for my Hoya rubida which I dropped another plant on last week, it's just a leafless stick right now but it was never a strong grower for me.

I have been getting into Gesneriads latley and have been raising many from seed, more seed is coming from the Gesneriad Society seed bank in the next couple of weeks so that will keep me occupied during the winter, that and figuring out where to put all of these plants. LOL

Mike

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Oh Mike,

You're in Canada -- geez -- I have Gesneriad seeds I'd like to pass on. Oh well, guess I'll have to post at Exchange sometime. (They were given me, I think they're Sinningias & Episcias, oh well.)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Thanks for the offer PG but I think I am already in over my head. I have gone from one Gesneriad to at least twentyfive species only a couple of months. I am going to have more seedlings than I will know what to do with.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

My list is short at the moment, too, due to a little end of season Hoya gluttony. Some of the inclusions are what I optimistically like to think of as "long term goals."

sp. Estrella waterfalls
    lambii
    siariae
    tsangii/odetteae
    blashernaezii
    mindorensis 'Yellow Form'
    parvifolia
    latifolia var concolor

Oh yeah and a non-Hoya wish list item:

aloe arborescens ^_^

• gennykins
    13 years ago

Hmmm,

I'm still wishing for polystachya/aff. latifolia 1410, glabra, and hoya clemensiorum has recently caught my eye.

Lisa

• rennfl
    13 years ago

Well, being relatively new to Hoyas, my wish list is pathetically long.

But at the top of it is mindorensis. And campanulata, and vitiense and archbolidiana and calycina and.......

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

I cannot read these posts because it increases my wish list!!!!

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Osmanthus fragrans smells awesome. I mean, really wonderful. It does have a very pronounced apricot scent, mixed with something more floral. I've never smelled orange blossom, that I remember, so it's possible that's what the other scent note is. It has tiny flowers, that don't look like much (but are cute if you spy them and take a closer look) but the fragrance coming from them is amazingly strong for the size.

I need another one of these. But first, I need a spot to put it. It is possible to keep one of these outside all year round in my zone, with protection, but I'd have to work out the details first. I just don't think it gets cold enough in my room (thankfully!) for it to set buds and bloom, if I kept it there year round.

As far as a hoya wish list, I only really want chlorantha and odetteae at the moment. I really want a greenhouse and my own house, but that's a long term goal, not an immediate one, ha.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quinn, I take it that sweet olive is pretty easy to grow? That's good to know. The flowers are used in tea in China and Japan (like jasmine or chamomile) and other foods in it's native countries (those ones I just listed). Is your plant blooming right now (sounds like it)? How large do you keep your plant?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Uh, I don't know if it's easy to grow. I think it is, but I lost mine a while ago when I ended up with three jobs and no time. It dried out for too long :( Mine was blooming not too long after I got it, which is why I got to smell the wonderful blooms. I think I got it around this time of year. I DO want another one, but I've been holding off until I figure out a few things first. I have had osmanthus tea, and it is quite nice. I found the osmanthus fragrance in the tea very delicate, though. It was sometimes hard to smell it.

I guess if I get another one, it will be around spring time, and it will go in a large pot (I have a concrete yard, so no dirt for me to plant in), and I will mulch it in mid to late fall and move it close to the house to keep it warmer. It's risky that way, as you are supposedly losing two zones when you plant in a container vs the ground, but that would be the only way I could do it. They are shrubs, so I think they can get pretty big, for a houseplant. They are supposed to be hardy to zone 7, I believe. Well, you never know until you try, right?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!