Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ament1970

Two more without ID's

Ament
12 years ago

I've two more Hoya cuttings that I've no idea what they are. So I'm coming to you folks who know far more than I do. =) Here is the first one;

And here is the second one;

Thank you for looking!

~Tina

Comments (11)

• lalla62
    12 years ago

tina, the first seems to be a carnosa....

the second.. hoya pauciflora??? pimenteliana??

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Tina,

Your first cutting is the classic plain green carnosa and the second looks like wayetti. Enjoy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, foo, even if the second is a plain carnosa the leaves certainly are pretty =)

Two different choices on the second hm? Guess before I label it I ought to wait for more people to say what they think too. =) Since there's two choices. I don't want to mislabel it. LoL Interesting leaves anyways. I'm glad I found this one regardless.

~Tina

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I think the first one is Carnosa too. The second one I'm not too sure, but it does look like it might be wayettii or (kentiana)?

If it turns out to be H.wayetii the edges can turn dark like the picture below and these are what the blooms will look like. Good luck with them.

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Nice cuttings Tina... the first one looks just like my first hoya... the one that bloomed... carnosa! The second picture looks exactly like the wayetti I just bought... but... it doesn't look like yours Pug... that is a beauty!... hope to see mine do the same!Eileen

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, the second one doesn't have dark edges, the edges of it are just a tad bit darker than the center color. So maybe it's the other one, Hoya kentiana? Anyone have pictures of it?

~Tina

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Your plant is Hoya kentiana. Hoya wayettii has thicker leaves that are usually folded and with darker margins. There are also differences in the coronas of the two species and in the comparison photo you can see the yellow bumps at the base of the corona lobes of wayetii, you don't see these yellow bumps on the corona of kentiana. In the GrowingHoyas.com link you can see a photo of Hoya wayetii's pollina although I have not seen a photo of Hoya kentiana's for comparison.

There are a bunch of species that are in this group that are all quite similar and their relationship to each other is not fully understood. There has been a plant that is probably a miniature variety of Hoya wayetii available from a few of the Thai growers recently. I also recently got a cutting of a plant that resembles a cross between Hoya wayetii and DS-70 and is sometimes sold as Hoya sp Quezon. Seeing a plant like this makes you wonder if they are hybrids or species. Because all of these plants (wayetii, kentiana,DS-70,sp Quezon) are in the same section (Acanthostemma) they could very well interbreed.

{{gwi:994307}}

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya wayetii on GrowingHoyas.com

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Mike, I really appreciate that. And the pictures & links too! =)

~Tina

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Pug. That is hands down the prettiest photograph of wayettii I've ever seen.

/Mike. Thanks, as always, for your tidy synopsis of the distinctions between these plants. I have to admit I love the idea of a mini wayettii. Can we have a DS-70 with leaves the size of serpens, too? ^_^

I would really love to see the right sorts of people take an interest in Hoyas and start to unpick the relationships between such plants. It certainly is interesting.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks GG!! That was taken a year or two ago and as I recall the buds were just starting to open because they normally don't look like that when fully open.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Yeah kind of davidcummingii-y in that shot. ^_^ I think most Hoya blooms look prettiest before they're full blown.