Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Krimson Princess

Posted by mel_10 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 17:00

Hello everyone. I have a quick couple questions in regards to an EA plant that I recently acquired. The tag on this plant labeled it as Hoya "Rubra". I found some info saying "Rubra" is also Krimson Princess. The leaves are the reverse varigation (white on the inside, green on the outside) as the Krimson Princess pics I have seen. My question is, does KP have thinner leaves than the other carnosas? I have a regular carnosa and a Krimson Queen but the leaves on those two plants are much more succulent than on the plant in question. I also read somewhere that when KP reverts to solid green leaves it is known as "Green Exotica". Is this true? Is it best to pull the solid green vines out and re-pot separately?

KP

KP

KP

Thanks for the advice!
Mel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Krimson Princess

Hi Mel,

Here is my EA "rubra" and yes, it's a Krimson Princess.

My leaves are thick & succulent (just like my other carnosas).

I've never heard of "green exotica", but as you can see mine is reverting. When I bought it, I would say it was 50/50, but now it's more like 80(green)/20(white), if that.

Awhile ago I began noticing that the EA "Rubra" now being sold in stores looks a lot different than mine (which was purchased in the fall of 2007). Now the leaves are smaller, more narrow & triangular in shape, have more variegation (more white), and yes are thinner. Anyway, it wasn't too long after I noticed the changes, that I had read somewhere (probably on this forum) that EA had "changed the formula" for the "Rubra" in an effort to prevent it from reverting back to green. Hoping others know more ,,, I'm curious too!

Anyway, your plant looks great. You'll have to let us know, if it reverts back to green.

Jennifer

o
RE: Krimson Princess

Jennifer, your plant is beautiful! Right now I've only got what looks like one vine that has reverted to all green. I'm hoping to not have anymore as I really like the varigation. Thanks for the information and help.

Mel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here