cyclonenat

Hoya carnosa leaves

cyclonenat
13 years ago

Does hoya carnosa feel velvety on the underside of the leaves mine does

Comments (11)

• Denise
    13 years ago

No, it's smooth. You probably have australis ssp. australis. Can you post a photo? Has it bloomed for you?

Denise in Omaha

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

they are on my facebook page heres my link, its the first and last pic

Here is a link that might be useful: My facebook pics

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Cyclonenat
    I would love to have a look at your photos but I do not have a facebook account.
    It would be a lot easier if you loaded them on to photobucket.Then we could all have a look.

Cindy

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hope this worked

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

If you click on the HTML code to the right of the photo it will be copied and then you can right click your mouse and paste the code where you want the photo.

Is this the Hoya with fuzzy leaves on the underside?

Mike

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yep

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hope you dont think im being annoying is it a carnosa. Was wondering how long does a hoya take to acclimatize to new conditions? All my wee plants are growing except the pottsi or nicholsonia which ever one it is. thanks for the help everyone

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I still think your plant is a variety of Hoya carnosa. I just went and felt the back of my pain green Hoya carnosa's leaves and the younger leaves are pubescent on the underside with the older ones being mostly smooth.

Some Hoya cuttings are slow to start top growth, many work on a good root system before starting new vines or leaves. I have had cuttings sit for six months doing nothing above ground. One thing that helps speed up growth is warmth and humidity. Only a couple of weeks ago I got a new species Hoya sp. Doitung and I cut the cutting up into two pieces that consisted of a pair of leaves each and a few inches of stem. The cuttings were potted up and placed in a covered propagator where they get bright light and it's nice and warm during the day. Roots were developing after four or five days and on the weekend I noticed a new vine is coming up. If you want to see growth in the shortest amount of time try to offer similar conditions, bright light, warm days and water when the top of the potting mix starts to dry out. Some Hoyas force you to be a patient gardener or you can be like me and just buy a ton of Hoyas so you don't have to wait impatiently for any certain one to grow. :)

Mike

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks mike i found a person that will sell serpens, fungii and multiflora could you tell me about these if they are difficult or not?

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Hoya serpens likes cool conditions so it may be a good one for your climate. This is a mini species with thick round bristly leaves. I don't grow this Hoya but it is said to be more difficult to grow, especially in hot climates. I think your moderate climate would be perfect for this one.

Hoya fungii is similar to Hoya carnosa but with larger and more numerous flowers. Many people grow this Hoya because it has large beautiful leaves that are light green with darker green veins.

Hoya multiflora is a warm grower that has a shrubby growth habit and thin leaves. This Hoya likes to be grown constantly moist and it blooms easily but the bloom peduncles drop after only one or two sets of blooms. This is a great plant for a shady spot and it is perfect if you want to see flowers soon, often as a cutting.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: A good Hoya site

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

If you live in a cool climate, don't shy away from serpens! Although it was one of my first Hoyas, and I was a complete dunce, it never faltered and grows like a weed.

It's so exquisite, a delicate velvety green necklace. As Mike says, the leaves have a rough texture, like little green kitten tongues.

You are assembling a nice collection.

Sponsored
More Discussions