Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

ebay

dmichael619
12 years ago

Just in case anyone's interested,there's a very rare item up for sale on Ebay right now. I purchased one of these about 3 years or so ago and it's growing quite well. I have not seen another listed for sale since getting mine. I know at one time several forum members had asked about these so I thought i'd share the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Veriegated-pony-tail-yellow-star-/190546354712?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item2c5d72a218

Comments (14)

• banannas
    12 years ago

oh its really cool! Thanks for the heads up, but I am going to continue to repeat my new mantra "I will not buy more plants, I will not buy more plants, I will not buy more plants..."

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

I couldn't find it. Maybe its gone.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Mairzy, Did you copy and paste the whole link?II just checked its still up.
    I just threw out a reg pony tail because of mealies.I still have a one growing bonsai.

Cindy

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Found it. I LOVE pony tail palms. and...I LOVE variegated plants. I have 2 of these already that I also bought back 3 or so years ago, and they are gorgeous but... just HAD to have another. :-) I have looked and looked for another of them also and have not seen anymore for sale. I thought they would be all over in HD by now, but nooo. Besides...
    I have this condition you see. OCPBD (obsessive compulsive plant-buying disease). LOL

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I see the listing has ended for this item. Did you buy it Marcy!!!!!! I myself also suffer from OCPBD and was quite tempted to buy this variegated ponytail as soon as I saw the listing,but then I just as quickly realized that I have a gh that is absolutely STUFFED with hoyas and there is no room left for anything new!!!!!

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Ha...Yes, I did David. I leave mine out all winter unless we get a freeze warning, which is rare here in Long Beach. Then I just wrap in burlap or bring them in for the night/nights that it will freeze. My big ones are over 3 ft. now, but they grow very slowly. Of course the baby one, I will have in here somewhere. I have no greenhouse, but my house windows are full now. I also have a new spare room to play with so am filling that up. LOL.
    Cindy...I have never seen a mealie on any of my pony tail palms, but I keep them outside (they love full sun). If I did ever get a mealie outbreak, I guess I would use BATS on it as it never blooms (at least while young). I have the curley ones too and some that have a very redish top.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Mairzy, I was real sad to have to get ride of this plant.I had for a least 10 years.I tried Bats 2 times and also used alcohol many times but they just kept coming back, so to save my hoyas from getting them I sadly put into the garbage. I have never seen so many mealies before.I find they seem to attack plants that are weak and maybe a bit sick.

Cindy

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Wow Cindy, those must have been some SUPER mealies. Good that you got rid of it. Would not have wanted to spread & grow a stain like that. Ha. Anyway, if it was just a regular pony tail palm, they are very easy to come by. I see them all the time at box stores and nurserys. Even grocery stores. That's why I thought the variegated ones would soon be all over the place, but not so. They are few & far between. I could have chopped off the top of my other big one & then waited for it to sprout up some shoots from the side of the stalk, but I don't want to ruin it's beautiful fountain look. So I am going to leave them alone. I love the artistic look of them. Hope I don't ever get an attack of SUPER mealies like that. YIKES!

• luvidaho_2010
    12 years ago

Mairzy, do you by chance have pictures of your pony tails that you could share? They sound beautiful.
    Tami

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Well here is one. I will take some more later. Hope this works. I am still not very good at getting the link to the picture down.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've never seen a mealy bug on any of my 3 ponytails either. I have 2 solid green ones and then the variegated one. My oldest green one has 4 plants in the pot ranging in size from about 6 feet tall down to about 4 feet. The caudex on each range in size from basketball to cantaloupe. The second one has 2 plants equal in size in the same pot.

I will try at some point today to take pictures and post here,if time permits. At the moment there is some major health issues going on wit my mother and grandma and my time is stretched thin between both of them and work.

My grandma is 91 and had a stroke 6-8 years ago ( I forget just how long now). She has a 24 hour live in nurse and I got a call last night just after dark that she could not find a heart rate. I dropped everything I hand in my hands and ran (didn't even take the time to drive--it's only a 1 minute walk anyway) to her house. the nurse had already dialed 911. When I got there she was totally unresponsive,curled in a fetal position,gasping for breath and drooling very heavily. The ambulance got there minutes after I did and rushed her to the hospital which thankfully is only a 2-3 minute drive from her house. It turns out that she had had a seizure associated with the old stroke. This was the first and they told us that it may happen again and it may just be a one time thing,only time will tell. She came home within 2 hours ( back to normal as if nothing had happened) of being taken to the hospital so hopefully everything will be okay.

Okay I didn't mean to hijack the bus for so long and stray off topic but I haven't been around much as of late and just wanted to let everyone know what's going on in my life that's keeping me offline for the most part.

david

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Oh David...I can sure sympathize with you on the life issues getting in the way of any joy. (I was gone from here for 3 years for goodness sake). Just hang in there & do whatever you must to cope & we will be here when you can find time to stop in. Seizures are common after a stroke but there is all kinds of meds to keep them at bay. Just hope they find the right ones and dosage & she will be OK. There are stroke support groups here that answered many questions for Paul & I & helped us get through the bad times. Maybe you can seek something out like that. I know you have no time, but you must remember to take care of YOU too. Stress can really do a number on ya if you let it. So keep you boat afloat & come back when you can.
    Hugs,
    Marcy

• Denise
    12 years ago

I had no idea there was a variegated PT palm! How cool is that?! I have three regular greens - one about 5' tall, caudex about 16" across. One with four attached caudexes, each about the size of a baseball, and one I whack back regularly that stays fairly compact but has a caudex about like a soccer ball. I've never seen a mealy on any of mine, either!

I'll have to keep an eye out for one of the variegated ones!

Denise in Omaha

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

David, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. I hope she gets well quickly. I'm praying for her quick recovery.

I have a pony tail that is about 5 ft tall in a pot in the pool enclosure. I also have three PTs in one pot, growing together. The 5ft one was purchased more than 20 years ago in Woolworth's five & dime for 50 cents. The others were in a pot of mixed succulents at Home Depot a few years ago. I keep searching for a variegated one. They are very hard to come by.

Sponsored