Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hoya macgillivrayi ?

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 18:12

Hi. I'm new to this forum but not GW. I have several hoyas and in spite of my almost benign neglect they do well. Most are kept in a greenhouse year round. I just received a couple H. macgillivray plants. Is this an easy to care for variety or does it require anything special? My hoyas in the greenhouse are used to nighttime temps in the mid 50's but with this plant coming from a So. FL nursery I'm afraid that will be too cold for it and was going to keep it inside under HID lights. I can't wait to see the flowers on this variety. Thanks in advance for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hoya macgillivrayi ?

Hi Karyn, I don't own this hoya but just wanted to say Hi and Welcome! This is a great forum to hang out with and we all share the same obsession! I've learned a lot and most of all enjoyed all the pictures of everyone's collections.

I think Denise has a very nice one of this hoya, if I remember correctly?

But, I will say that if it were mine, I probably would keep it in your house this winter(since you said it came from So. FL)we've had an unusually warm fall this year. Although, I keep a lot of my hoyas outside in FL year round and only bring them in when it goes below low 40's. Mid 50's should be no problem, but since its new to you...I would keep it inside for a while and that way you can keep an eye "if" there are any issues that occur. Good luck with them!

Just so you're warned...Your hoyas will only grow in numbers from here. We are all Hoya addicts lol...

o

Welcome Karyn! Always nice to have new people join into the Hoya forum!,,,Debbie

o

Hi Karyn! Nice to see you on this forum!

I don't grow macgillivrayi, so I can't comment on it. Somebody will help you though, I'm sure.

Pug, this is a warmer fall than in the past but for where I live, they're calling for snow! It did rain today, but no flurries as of yet. I'd rather see snow instead of bare trees and dead flowers.

Anyways, welcome aboard!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Hi Karyn, I live in Arizona and I grow McGillivrayi in the greenhouse year round. During the winter I keep the temps around 65 at night and during the day, I don't worry about the temps. I also let mine dry out during the winter before I water it; that will help it to bloom later during the year. HTH!!

o

The commonly accepted safe low temperature for warm growing tropicals is 65F. Many plants can take lower temperatures but some will develop root rot if cold and wet and other will drop leaves. A few nights at 50F will probably be fine but this is a species from the Iron Range in Northern Australia's Cape York Peninsula and would not experience lows even close to 50F. This area of Australia is directly below New Guinea and is tropical, check out the link below for the mean temperatures per month.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron Range Weather

o

Thanks for the warm welcome and info. I'm not really sure how many hoyas I have, probably about 10 with the majority staying in the greenhouse year round. They have been pretty low maintenance except that they are mealy bug magnets!

The foliage on the macgillivrayi isn't anything special but I love the blooms, at least what I've seen in photos. I've never actually seen one in bloom. How often do you feed your hoyas and do you d/c feeding during cooler months? I feed my other hoyas infrequently and not at all during the winter. The foliage grows well but I don't get that many blooms. I guess they should probably be fed on a more regular basis but until I got this variety I'd never been that excited about a hoya.

I'm going to keep these inside this winter. Space in the greenhouse is pretty tight anyway. I have mainly tropical and sub-tropical plants. The tropicals do surprisingly well in cooler then optimal nighttime temps as long as I keep them on the dry side.

Please don't say I'm going to develop another plant obsession. lol I already have several hundred plants that need winter protection in my zone!

o

Karlin, welcome!! I grow this hoya, it seems to be fairly easy so far. Most of my hoyas stay outside all year unless temps goes down below 40 degrees. I think it's a good idea to keep the plant in the house this year.
It is so easy to get addicted to hoyas for sure.
As far as mealies, I use straight alchole spray (in the shady area) top to bottom, pots & trellis and if I still can't get rid of them then I use Bayer's Trees & Shrubs systemic.

Jan

o

• Posted by geosdee Zone 8 FL Panhandle (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 9:47

Hi Karen, good to see you over here. I have this one and it is inside, well I brought all of my hoyas inside for the winter as we do get low temps. I have all of mine growing under grow lights in fromt of windows. I only water them when they get dry but not bone dry. I also fertilize at every watering since mine don't seem to go dormant.

Dee

o

Karyn,

Glad to see another future Hoya addict in the making! Trust me - when you really get going with them, you'll probably reduce another collection to get more. I've grown Hoyas for 30+ years, but my succulent collection was bigger until it became easier to get more Hoya species. So I've reduced my succulent collection to make room for the "gotta-have" Hoyas...

Macgillivrayii will steal your heart as it grows. I've got mine at the north end of my greenhouse, growing on a trellis beside a very aggressive australis ssp. tenuipes. It's big, heart-shaped glossy leaves are captivating. I wish I could say I've gotten flowers - I have many peduncles, so it's just a matter of time, but I can hardly wait. I don't think mid-50's would hurt this Hoya. At night, during the coldest months, I'm sure my GH dips below 60 and nothing is ever worse for it.

I feed all my Hoyas year round with Eleanor's VF-11, which is more of a mineral boost, then a few times in the summer months with a bloom booster.

Denise in Omaha

o

Hi, Karyn,
In what part of Maryland are you? I work in Hagerstown.
Congrats on macgillivrayi!
Kelly

o

Hi Kelly,
I'm in the eastern part of Montgomery Co., near the Howard Co. line. Cloverly, to be exact.

After looking at everyone's hoya pics I decided to see exactly what I had in the greenhouse. Anyone that loves hoyas would have shot me. The poor hoyas were all over the place, half of them tipped over on the ground. Once I got them on a shelf I was surprised to see that all but one was in good condition. There were some that I must have lost over the past few years because I didn't see any of the narrow leaf varieties and I know that I had 2 at some point. I noticed several of one variegated variety and couldn't think why I would have bought so many of the same plant. I'm pretty sure that the vines must have landed on other pots and rooted only to be separated from the mother plant at some time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here