Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teisa_gw

My Birthday Hoyas!

teisa
13 years ago

Well my birthday is less than a month away...almost! Anyway Ive been itching to get an order in since my husband said "Do you want a Hoya for your birthday?"

I just ordered from Gardino's. I got

Pachychada

Kerri

Macrophylla varigate

limoniaca

Im so excited. Do you think it will take about a week to get here? Its pretty average temps still here in Tennessee. But I didn't want to wait another week on ordering them. I can't wait for the pachyclada!! I fell in love with it seeing everyones pictures here.

Thanks just wanted to share!

-Tess

Comments (15)

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Congrats, Tess!

I got limoniaca cuttings from a member on here this summer. They haven't grown too much but they came with peduncles at least :). No blooms yet from it but they are pretty from the pictures that I saw.

I think your order will be there in a week or so. I got my shepherdii from Gardino's and that was in Feb.! There was a heat pack in the box (a welcome surprise) and it looked as if it came straight from the nursery! Mom ordered for me another plant as well: not a hoya but a sweet olive! I've heard these plants pack a punch in the fragrance department (most people say it smells like apricots, peaches or orange blossoms) and it blooms in the fall and winter :) .

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Teisa,

Welcome to the hoya world.
    I don't have any idea what " pachyclada " means but I know exactly what is this crazy passion for hoyas!!!!

I hope we can exchange experiences, dreams, expectation (if this word exists) all together........

Most of the time I translate the portuguese word to english at my own way, without grammar rules.........

• Denise
    13 years ago

Tess,

I got a so-called limoniaca from Gardino's a couple years ago and it turned out to be verticillata. Just wanted to give you a "heads up" in case their ID is incorrect. I now have the true limoniaca and though the leaves are similar in appearance, limoniaca's leaves are much smaller than the verticillata they were then selling as limoniaca. The verticillata I got from the grows FAST!! And is a heavy bloomer, too...

Denise in Omaha

• teisa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Brad! And Congratulations on your new addition. It will be nice to have some winter blooms.

Mitzico, you have never heard of Hoya Pachyclada? There are a few people that have one here and they are beautiful. I think there is one with all white blooms and one with red centered blooms. My favorite is the red centered, however all Gardino's carries is the complete white. I love it for the leaves as well.

Thanks for the heads up Denise. If it is different, that will work. I do not have all that many Hoyas yet. Most are EA and the more common ones.

The ones I currently have are:

H. Compacta (6) baskets
    H. Compacta variegated
    H. Lacunosa
    H. Carnosa cv. Chelsea
    H. Cumingiana
    H. Nummularioides (blooming now!)
    H. Krimson Princess

A very kind and generous Hoya friend gifted me the following this summer and they are doing great:
    H. Meliflua sp. Fraterna
    H. Australis ssp Australis 'Keysii
    Dischidia Parasitica
    Dischidia Ovata (Taking over the kitchen)
    Eristoemma cv. Gold Star

This will be the first time ordereing from Gardino's and I'll post pictures when they arrive.
    -Tess

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Teisa,

I never heard of Hoya Pachyclada, I might have seen at my researchs but I don't remember.
    Who is Gardino??? Is it in US?
    In Brazil is very difficult to buy hoyas because we are not allowed to bring overseas.
    Show us some pictures when your hoyas arrive.....

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Teisa,

I just saw at the google, I've seen her before, really nice! I also found the gardino's nursery, let me ask if he delivers to Brazil!!!!

• rennfl
    13 years ago

Well Happy Birthday soon.

I got a limoniaca over the summer from SRQ, and it grew very fast for me so far. Really like this one.

My B-Day is next month, and when mom asked what I wanted, I sent her the link to the new Hoya book. Hopefully she ordered it.

• gennykins
    13 years ago

Teisa,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! (my attempt at singing - and its fortunate you're not hearing my vocal rendition. That can be pretty painful to hear!)

Lisa

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

rennfl,
    could you please post the link to the hoya book you are referring to - thanks!

• rennfl
    13 years ago

golden, it's the one from Sweden, written in English.

http://www.freewebs.com/botanova/books.htm

We were getting things together early, for Xmas as well, as she will be coming to visit over Thanksgiving, and we wanted to save on shipping this year. I'm hoping she did get this for me, she refuses to tell me. Which probably means she did. lol I hope!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday and Congratulations on your birthday gifts, can't get much better than a Hoya on your birthday.

I have Hoya limoniaca as well and although it's a fast grower it seems to take it's time to flower. The leaves are very shiny, almost like they have been waxed.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Congrats Tess on a very NICE assortment of hoyas and an early Happy Birthday greetings to you as well!

Gardino's usually ships between Monday and Wednesday after you order...You should have it NO later than the Saturday of the same week, barring any issues! So if you ordered it yesterday(Wed) they will probably ship it next week...you should have between Thursday and Saturday of next week!

Enjoy them, looking forward to pictures!

• teisa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Everyone!
    It has just turned cold here. However I called Gardino's on Friday and they said they would include a heat pack and they should ship out on Monday. I should have them by Wednesday or Thursday. I will post pictures!

I have only mail ordered Hoyas 1 other time. That was this summer from Accents. I do pretty regularly order Episcias though. This will be the latest in the year so I worry about the cold weather!!

-Tess

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Happy Birthday Tess,

I have ordered from Gardino's several times and I am never disappointed with what I receive from them and they usually are nice sized ones too.

Dee

• lightning96
    13 years ago

I am envious! I have a December birthday and I live in Minnesota ... much to cold for a gift of hoyas from Florida!

I have ordered from Gardino's in the past month and the hoyas I received were all very nicely sized.

Elizabeth

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions