Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

My 1st Hoya - weirdness

kwie2011
9 years ago

I got my first Hoya - a little $1.45 plant on the Walmart 50% shelf. It's a Hoya rubra from Exotic Angel. It's only about a dozen leaves, most of which look like photos I've seen, but it also has 3 larger, solid green leaves. I repotted it, and those leaves are attached to the same stem as the normal ones, so it isn't a different plant. Other than size and color, the leaves seem perfectly healthy. Anyone know what causes this? Too much light? Too little?

It seems to have identical light and water needs to my Peperomia, and they are both supposed to be slow growers, so I potted them together. I think that'll be fine until the Hoya gets much larger. Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Can't upload a photo now because I don't have enough bandwidth. Hope you don't need it.

Comments (6)

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

If there is a single stem, are the solid green leaves the oldest, the youngest, or a mixture?

If there are two stems, are the solid leaves and the variegated leaves on different stems?

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Probably a reversion.
    I would cut the green leaves off.
    Mike

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

If the leaves at the top of the stem are the green ones, then your 'Rubra' is reverting. It is common for this hoya to revert back to all green. If you don't desire the green part, lop it off and put it in a different pot and label it as "carnosa 'Rubra'-reverted". The new growth on the old stem may or may not revert again.
    It is best to have both plants in different pots, to prevent spreading of potential pests/viruses/bacteria/fungi. Also, hoyas prefer to be snug (a bit rootbound) in their pots.
    Hope I have helped in some way.

This post was edited by AuroraWA on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 21:27

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm... sad to hear it might revert. It is only 2 stems. On one, the larger dark leaves are at the tip of the stem, so newest growth. On the other, there is one solid green leaf amidst the variegated ones, but it's the same size and shape as the variegated leaves, and another variegated is growing after it.

So, when I snip off the solid portion, does it matter where I cut? I presume the remaining stem will just branch, yes? How best does one root a Hoya stem?

If I plant the solid leaves separately, will they ever do anything interesting of just stay green like they are? I'm not really interested in flowers, but do the flowers of a reverted plant also change?

When you say Hoyas "prefer" to be a little tight, what aspect of their growth becomes more pleasing? More blooms? Denser growth? Shorter internodes?

Thanks everyone!

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

You want to snip off right above the leaves that are still variegated. Then you just remove the first couple of green leaves above where you cut and plop the stem into your potting medium.
    The remaining stem will most likely branch, yes.
    It is my understanding that once 'Rubra' reverts, it stays green. The flowers remain unchanged.
    From what I understand, most hoyas prefer being rootbound because of how they grow in the wild. They start off in the ground or sometimes in the hollow of a tree or in between some rocks/boulders. They make just enough roots to support upward growth and stability. As they grow, they send out epiphytic (aerial) roots, attaching themselves to trees/rocks, as they grow.The epiphytic roots and leaves are the main mode of transport for nutrients. Not all hoyas grow this way, but those that don't are the exception.
    As far as aspects of their growth changing if they are snug vs. overpotted, I am unaware, as I don't overpot.

• Denise
    9 years ago

Kwie, if you have too much pot for the rootball, your Hoya will put it's efforts into producing more roots as opposed to putting on foliage. So it's best to move up in pot size only slightly.

I remove the all-green growth on 'Krimson Princess' (an old name I have always favored...) and grow it separately. Interestingly, it flowers much easier than its variegated counterpart. And it's a beautiful clone of carnosa.

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath