Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
odyssey3

Would you be happy receiving these from a vendor?

odyssey3
11 years ago

I could use some opinions. I just bought 4 new hoya plants from a well-regarded source on this forum. I am not very happy with 2 of them, a linearis and an imperialis. What do you all think?

1. Linearis--not happy with the size and a lot of the leaves seem discolored to me. Just doesn't look that healthy to me.

2. Imperialis Pink looks more problematic to me. The top 3 leaves look so discolored as to be virused to me. Could this be a virus? The newest leaf isn't going to unfurl as it is blackened. Also, looks like there is sooty mold on the bottom leaf joints. Forgot to get a picture of that.

Comments (14)

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Hi
    To be honest they don't look to bad to me.You would be shocked with some of the crap cuttings and plants that I have gotten over the years of collecting.
    Imperialis Pink looks like some sort of pitting that sometimes happens when they are spayed with water or fertilizer and then left to dry in the sun.
    linearis looks to be 2 rooted cuttings,not to bad for size wise.
    These are just my opinions and others might differ.

Cindy

• odyssey3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Cindy. I appreciate your response. I can live with the linearis, even though I would have been better off trying to watch when Exotic Angel stocks it to get a nice full basket for only $7 more.
    The imperialis though, I'm still not sure. I have never seen layers of a hoya leaf gone and pitted like that (and hope I never do again). I expect to lose some of the older leaves from a new plant, but not the very newest, growing leaves. Disappointing.

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

You should see the plants I use to receive (due to the distance).

So, for me, they don't look that bad!

Hope they develop fast!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

The Hoya linearis looks just fine and it's a good size. This is a small Hoya and from the looks of it there are at least 6 cuttings rooted in that pot. Smaller species still cost the same as larger plants, it's not about how full the pot is with these little ones. When I first ordered this species I got a single 5" unrooted cutting for about $10 so I think you did very well with what you got.

Hoya imperalis looks to have some leaf damage but I believe these plants were grown outside. This is cosmetic damage and nothing to worry about, definitely not a virus. The new growth often aborts when plants are sent in the mail so the new leaf being in that state is normal. This is not the best time of year to be getting plants in the mail either so cold damage could be possible, Hoya imperalis hates the cold.
    Did you email the vendor about the problem?

If you are unhappy with these plants I strongly suggest NOT ordering from overseas. You should see the state that cutting sometimes arrive in when coming from Thailand or Australia.

Mike

• odyssey3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mitzicos and Mike. I've grown linearis before, so I'm familiar with it. I was in Houston last summer and bought a few hoyas in 4" ports that were lovely and full, so I suppose that raised my expectations. The nummularioides was about ready to be potted up into the smallest size hanging basket.

With the imperialis, I guess I was thinking that I should receive a plant that I would have chosen if I had seen it in person. I would not have chosen this. So, should I just pick off all the damaged leaves and wait for new growth? Is imperialis a fast grower? I haven't tried this plant before.

No, I haven't e-mailed the vendor. I wanted to get thoughts here first.

Mike, I'm actually surprised cuttings make it at all coming from so far away!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I would just leave the Hoya imperalis as it is. The growing tip will have two new leaves ready to unfurl so there will only be a small area without leaves along the stem. This species does grow very fast but usually only during the warmer months. If you can keep your plant warm and in bright light (think sunny South window) it will continue to grow.

Mike

• ohmybloomers
    11 years ago

You might also be seeing some damage from shipping in cold temperatures. I got an order last week and even though there was a heat pack included, it was cold by the time it got to me and a couple of the cuttings weren't happy. I think they'll be fine... but it could take awhile to recover simply due to the time of year.

• brsucculents
    11 years ago

Where did you purchase the 4" plants in Houston?
    I don't see anything off with the plants. Hoya with collection data are costly for some reason.
    Randy

• Denise
    11 years ago

The linearis looks very healthy to me - even looks like it has some new growth. I've heard of people finding the EA linearis at the box stores, but I've never seen one here, so my few cuttings have come from trades, so yours looks nice and large to me!

Imperalis is a fussy one as far as I'm concerned, so I imagine shipping it makes it pout. Mine have been very unhappy with the weather change and are dropping leaves, in spite of the fact that they've been inside (the GH) all year. It looked like a million bucks this summer, so it's very disappointing to have it acting up now. But it does seem to be one that bounces back pretty good, so once it acclimates, you'll probably be very happy with the new growth.

Denise in Omaha

• odyssey3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Denise and ohmybloomers and mike again too. I'll leave the imperialis alone and put it in my attic south-facing window. It stays wonderfully hot up there--I can root plumerias in the winter!

Randy, the garden center in Houston was Another Place in Time. I also picked up a green kerri, a reverse kerri, and a holliana. They weren't marked, so you have to know what you are looking for. I also got some great named begonias. I always research a good garden center to visit when I am away. I was in Houston at a conference in April.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Place in Time

• ohmybloomers
    11 years ago

Ah, I remember that place! I lived in Houston for many years. Wish I'd fallen in love with hoyas while I lived there - it's a perfect hoya climate. East Tennessee... not so much. My poor green children don't like the change in weather, even though they're all inside and warm. I've definitely got some leaf-dropping going on - but not the imperialis, knock on wood.

I envy anyone living in a civilized place that actually has hoyas in their box stores and nurseries! I went to our best nursery here and asked if they had any hoyas, and was told YES!! they had lots of hoyas! Turns out they had a LOT - of one species, the Hindu Rope. Well, I didn't have one, so I bought a few... but for me it's all mail order.

Oh, yeah, there was a point to all this. The other thing I've seen happening on my last couple of orders is that they're coming from happy hoya climates like Florida, and by the time they get here they're already pouting, and then they kinda sit there for awhile, looking unhappy, wondering when or if they will acclimatize to a cooler, dryer, darker climate. I'm trying to provide extra light, and it's really time to hook up the humidifier.

• Denise
    11 years ago

OMB,

I'd skip the humidifier. I've found they create more problems than they resolve. Namely MOLD!! I find Hoyas are perfectly happy with the amount of humidity we get from our furnace humidifier, which isn't exactly a lot. If you keep your plants grouped in close proximity, it creates enough of a micro-environment to make them happy. Pebble trays are another way to raise the humidity in an indirect way that won't cause mold...

But you're sure right about plants coming from more tropical regions to the north. I find it can take up to a year for a rooted plant to acclimate to my climate! That's why I prefer to buy cuttings - they root and take right off instead of slamming into full-blown dormancy.

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I haven't really had any weird problems using humidifiers, but I haven't seen any dramatic results, either. What I do find extremely extremely powerful is the micro-climate effect Denise mentions. It's so significant an effect that if I move a plant that was in a group, to a spot on its own, it immediately becomes harder to care for, even if I stay on top of the watering.

I think your imperialis is really going to take off for you. This is one that I find doesn't take that long to get going. I grow cool and it still jumps right into its business. I'm not really big on removing scarred or pitted leaves, (because I cause them a lot myself) but you can always pinch them off once your plant has gotten its feet under it and has more leaves to work with.

You know, everyone has different opinions on this issue, but I personally prefer buying small starter plants, or cuttings, because they perform better for me over time than more mature nursery plants. This is a commonly reported effect. They may start off looking puny, but they will outstrip nursery-established plants in no time, because they have calibrated to your environment and style.

I hope you have a lot of success with your new additions. :)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Since we're on the subject, I thought I'd show you guys how strange and yet pretty linearis looks on a hoop.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts